doctormog
22 November 2019 18:02:35

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I've got a sleet symbol on the BBC forecast for MBY for Monday 

Monday December 2nd presumably?

I wonder what joys the ECM 12z will bring shortly.

White Meadows
22 November 2019 18:41:57

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

The ice bomb about to unwind nicely at 168

David M Porter
22 November 2019 18:46:22

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

It looks not bad to me thus far, Michael.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
White Meadows
22 November 2019 18:47:53
White Meadows
22 November 2019 19:18:22

And soeth a Christmas Pancake is delivered upon thee for the second daye of Decembere

then let the dreaded hairdryer begin

nsrobins
22 November 2019 19:36:07

For info there’s been an uptick again in the extent of u wind reduction into early Dec:
http://weatheriscool.com/prod/interactiveTserie.html

GEFS mean approaching a reversal 

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
Gusty
22 November 2019 20:40:45

Rare agreement by GFS and ECM at 240 hours.

A welcome change to high pressure and a mild flow. I guess it would be too much to ask for this pattern to persist for the next 12 weeks 

Bank ! 

GFS 240 hrs

ECM 240 hrs

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

David M Porter
22 November 2019 21:07:36

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

Rare agreement by GFS and ECM at 240 hours.

A welcome change to high pressure and a mild flow. I guess it would be too much to ask for this pattern to persist for the next 12 weeks 

Bank ! 

GFS 240 hrs

ECM 240 hrs

Assuming this verifies as indicated, this will certainly come as a big relief to those areas that have been affected by flooding recently, Steve.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
LA2B MeridFlowEuro09
22 November 2019 21:07:51

Hi all.

So there is another 7 days of mild weather- but Low Pressure and some wet and windy weather is in order and on the table to discuss- affecting the UK & NW Europe.

Tropical Storm Henrietta affects us on Tuesday 26th and Wednesday 27th November.

It could turn colder by Friday but more rain the weekend of 30th Nov- to Sunday 1st December with cold NE winds in SE England as Saturday’s active Deep Low moves off to Denmark and Belgium et all.

High Pressure returns for Monday 2nd and Tuesday 3rd December that has very mild plume of air for the NW then North Atlantic pushing SW winds across there.

Mostly mild for the next 7 days but cold during 1st December. 12z ECMWF, UKMO and GFS show this setup for us.

USA also for same periods seeing See- Saw temperatures and waves of High and Low Pressure areas just like us in NW Europe and UK.

Climate is warming up, Scotland and N Ireland and North England still often gets some Winter frost, ice and snow, November to March, but the SE and South UK including S Central England and Wales, together with the West and North through the year, they sometimes get more rain than London and S SE England, where some longer dry fine spells without much heavy rain is seen every year.

The North Atlantic Sea often gets some much Colder Wintry conditions from November to March Months, and Mild SW and South winds tend to be more frequent over the East and SE of North Atlantic Sea, as the Azores High tends to stay in charge. 

With this warmth and heat, the Central and South UK has become mostly free of snow and frost.
Gusty
22 November 2019 21:18:00

Originally Posted by: David M Porter 

Assuming this verifies as indicated, this will certainly come as a big relief to those areas that have been affected by flooding recently, Steve.

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

White Meadows
22 November 2019 22:20:37

Pub runs going to be a belter looking at developments of the eastern seaboard/ Newfoundland coast.

Edit: heights over Greeny but doesn’t look solid enough to hold at this point.

marting
22 November 2019 22:30:25

I think you were right first time WM ! Looking cold with an improved block

martin

Martin
Greasby, Wirral.
Tim A
22 November 2019 22:33:40

I can't see much to get excited about from a cold/snow point of view.
Looks like some cool air but not cold enough for snow with high pressure edging in around the 10 day mark to bring some welcome dry weather as per Steve's analysis.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

tallyho_83
23 November 2019 00:20:20

Strat temps at 10hpa at 264z shown on 18z GFS run:

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

White Meadows
23 November 2019 06:06:13
There’s your Atlantic ridge, prominently evident early December:

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT2_London_ens.png 

What happens with a cold incursion of sorts after that is open to much speculation.
Heavy Weather 2013
23 November 2019 07:15:59
I’m ok with the 0z run.

I think what we are seeing is the charts reacting to the arming taking place. Hench the chaos and volatity
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
23 November 2019 07:41:15

The GFS giveth and the GFS taketh away ... Yesterday's 0z northerly promise had turned into a sunbathing session by 12z. At least this morning we're back to something halfway seasonal. So basically the models aren't coping at the moment. With that caution in mind, here goes:

GFS 0z shows LP across the UK this coming week with a little bit of back edge northerly at the end of the week. Then Hp briefly sets up in mid-Atlantic before retreating to our SW and allowing a strong westerly well into Europe by the end of week 2 (Fri 6th) Just a hint after that of the westerly flow being disrupted by colder air from either Greenland or Norway. ECM similar but throws in a bit of a northerly as that mid-Atlantic HP develops

Jetstream strong and to the south of the UK for next week breaking into a more looping pattern after that.

GEFs ens runs show temps a little above average to the 29th, then mostly a little below to the 3rd and then a scatter either side of the seasonal average. Rainfall generally concentrated around the 27th and the 3rd, notably in the south and then some more randomly towards the end (say the 7th)

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Bertwhistle
23 November 2019 07:44:19

For the time of year, it seems remarkably resistant over W Russia, Scandinavia and E Europe, to grow any real cold over the coming week. Moscow's spread over the week in the GFS Ens stays well above the LTA, but then it changes dramatically thereafter, right on the month's transition. We need more seasonal cold over these areas to make any use of the decent number of sinking or more southerly tracking lows we've been getting. Add: the northerly option is always there still, of course.

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Gusty
23 November 2019 08:22:10

We need to look a little closer to developments at 120-168 hours.

Good agreement this morning for a cold ridge to extend from Greenland after our departing eastward low introduces a colder N or NW'ly. Circa 120 ish.

All eyes on where the next low enters the mix. A fair few offer a ESE'ly moving slider digging into residual cold air.

Midlands, northwards look favoured for something wintry, the risk extends further south dependant on the track of the next low.

GFS 168

ECM 168

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

doctormog
23 November 2019 08:29:55
Yes, I think me need a few more days yet to get an idea of what early December holds. As it stands the options range from cool, to mild unsettled (possibly very mild) or more settled (with temperatures dependent of the location of any High).

Before then milder than recently and unsettled then something a bit cooler from the north - how cold or extensive remains to be eeen.