johncs2016
01 November 2019 09:42:36

Now that we have just entered the last month of the meteorological autumn, I believe that it is now time to get this thread up and running, especially since the weather is now going back into a more unsettled phase after a brief lull in what has been a wet autumn so far.

This now means that a total of at least 40.8 mm of rain now needs to fall during this month at Edinburgh Gogarbank in order for this autumn to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

This also means that a total of at least 17.8 mm of rain now needs to fall during this month at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

Meanwhile, a total of just at least 21.3 mm of rain now needs to fall between now and the end of this year at Edinburgh Gogarbank in order for this entire year to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

However, more rain has already fallen during this year at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh than the 1981-2010 annual average which means that regardless of what happens between now and the end of this year, 2019 as a whole, will go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

In addition to that, there now needs to be a minimum of 15 rain days during this month at Edinburgh Gogarbank in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

Furthermore, there now needs to be a minimum of 12 rain days during this month at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

The models are currently pointing towards the first half of this month at least, being unsettled and possibly very wet and so, I envisage that this thread might end up being quite busy. However it all turns out though, this is the very place for those all important rainfall observations during this month.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
01 November 2019 09:48:17

0.9 mm To start my month. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
johncs2016
02 November 2019 09:04:30

According to the latest SYNOP data, a total of 8.6 mm of rain fell during the 24 hour period which ended at 06z this morning, along with 12.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

SEPA on the other hand, uses an observation day which ends at 09z every morning and that is what I normally go by on these reports.

According to that data, a total of 8.2 mm of rain has fallen at Edinburgh Gogarbank since 9am yesterday morning, along with 11.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this brings the total for this month to 8.2 mm, the total for this autumn to 183.8 mm and the total for this year to 741.2 mm as at 9am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of just 13.2 mm of rain now needs to fall between now and the end of this year, in order for this entire year to go down as being wetter than average overall at Edinburgh Gogarbank in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this brings the total for this month to 11.2 mm, the total for this autumn to 195.0 mm and the total for this year to 732.0 mm as at 9am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of just 6.6 mm of rain now needs to fall between now and the end of this month in order for this autumn to go down as being wetter than average overall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
02 November 2019 10:12:02

5.4 mm Today 

6.9 mm This Month

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
02 November 2019 14:18:45

6.6 mm Today 

8.1 mm To date.

Others just get wet.
doctormog
03 November 2019 08:51:19
I have recorded a ridiculous 47.3mm of rain here so far this month (as of 8am). Easterly muck with more to come.
johncs2016
03 November 2019 09:34:29

A total of 14.4 mm of rain has fallen at Edinburgh Gogarbank since 9am yesterday morning along with 8.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this brings the total for this month to 22.6 mm, the total for this autumn to 198.2 mm and the total for this year to 755.6 mm as at 9am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of just 18.1 mm of rain now needs to fall between now and the end of this month in order for this autumn to go down as being wetter than average overall at Edinburgh Gogarbank in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this brings the total for this month to 19.2 mm, the total for this autumn to 203.0 mm and the total for this year to 740.0 mm as at 9am this morning.

This means that more rain has now fallen during this autumn at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh than the 1981-2010 autumn average which means that regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month, this autumn will now go down as being wetter than average overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

Furthermore, more rain has now fallen during this year at both of those stations than that station's 1981-2010 annual average which means that regardless of what happens between now and the end of this year, 2019 will go down as a wetter than average year in terms of the actual rainfall amounts at both of those stations.

ARTzeman
03 November 2019 10:49:56

12.29 mm  This Month.

Others just get wet.
POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
03 November 2019 16:20:01

21.6mm yesterday, 29.2mm to date.

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
sunny coast
03 November 2019 22:24:40

up until 6pm this eve 38 mm to date for Nov  

johncs2016
04 November 2019 10:30:56

A total of 2.6 mm of rain fell at Edinburgh Gogarbank in the 24 hours up to 9am this morning, along with 3.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, a total of just 0.2 mm of rain has fallen at Edinburgh Gogarbank since 9am this morning along with 0.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh although it is now absolutely chucking it down with rain here in Edinburgh as I write which means that the resulting totals are likely to be a lot higher than what I am reporting here (I can only go by the data which I currently have, after all).

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this brings the total for this month to 25.4 mm, the total for this autumn to 201.0 mm and the total for this year to 758.4 mm as at 10am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of just 15.3 mm of rain now needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this autumn to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this brings the total for this month to 22.8 mm, the total for this autumn to 206.6 mm and the total for this year to 743.6 mm as at 10am this morning.

This is shaping up to be yet another wet month. We still haven't had a drier than average month here in April and as it stands, we are still having to go all the way back to last winter to then find our last drier than average season.

ARTzeman
04 November 2019 11:20:39

18.6 mm This Month.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
05 November 2019 08:34:02

A total of 20.2 mm of rain has fallen at Edinburgh Gogarbank since 9am yesterday morning along with 16.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which makes yesterday the wettest day of this month so far at both of those stations.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this brings the total for this month to 45.4 mm, the total for this autumn to 221.0 mm and the total for this year to 778.4 mm as at 8am this morning.

This means that more rain has now fallen during this autumn at Edinburgh Gogarbank than the 1981-2010 autumn average which means that regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month, this autumn will now go down as being wetter than average overall at Edinburgh Gogarbank as a result.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this brings the total for this month to 39.4 mm, the total for this autumn to 223.2 mm and the total for this year to 760.2 mm as at 8am this morning.

idj20
05 November 2019 09:01:42

Yesterday I recorded 21 mm for the whole of yesterday, today I have already recorded 22 mm since 12 am and it's not even 9 am.

This brings this November's total to 67 mm.

Folkestone Harbour. 
ARTzeman
05 November 2019 09:27:36

0.6 mm Yesterday 

0.3 mm Today 

18.9 mm This Month

Others just get wet.
sunny coast
05 November 2019 12:54:43

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Yesterday I recorded 21 mm for the whole of yesterday, today I have already recorded 22 mm since 12 am and it's not even 9 am.

This brings this November's total to 67 mm

yes very wet here too in the first 5 days of november up to 9am this morning already 67mm   exceptionally wet here since 22 Sept

ARTzeman
07 November 2019 11:34:27

Heavy rain late yesterday 

37.9 mm. 

Two manual rain gauges both have a 17.5 mm measure of precipitation therein. 

Others just get wet.
Andy J
07 November 2019 16:56:21

Heading for the wettest day of the year here, the way things are going.  25mm already since 9am, and still pouring down.  That also on top of 11mm overnight, brings our November total to 44mm already. 

Autumn total now standing at 266mm.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
ARTzeman
08 November 2019 08:37:43

38.5 mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
08 November 2019 10:10:54
A total of 1.8 mm of rain fell at Edinburgh Gogarbank during the 24 hour period up until and including 9am this morning along with 3.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this brings the total for this month to 48.0 mm, the total for this autumn to 223.6 mm and the total for this year to 781.0 mm as at 10am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this brings the total for this month to 43.4 mm, the total for this autumn to 227.2 mm and the total for this year to 764.2 mm as at 10am this morning.

This means that a minimum total of 18.8 mm of rain now needs to fall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month, in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.