Global Warming
31 October 2019 06:21:52

This thread is for all comments, discussion and analysis of temperatures in the UK during November, with particular emphasis on the Central England Temperature (CET), for the simple reason that it is the longest running temperature series in the world with over 360 years of data. But you can comment on any interesting temperature statistics or data from across the UK, including your own back yard.  

September has been a close to average month.  

For those taking part in the competition all CET predictions for November should be sent directly to me via the forum private message system. Do not post them directly into the thread. 

The deadline for predictions is 2359 on Thursday evening (31st). 

Now on to some data for November 

Historic CET summary for November 

1971-2000 6.7C (30 years)  

1981-2010 7.1C (30 years)  

1999-2018 7.5C (last 20 years)  

We have seen a wide range of temperatures in November in recent years. Last year was 8.3C so warm. The previous year was 6.8C so average. In 2016 it was cold with 5.6C and then before that very mild at 9.5C.

I don’t have any more time at present so can’t post model or forecast links for the moment.

Hungry Tiger
31 October 2019 10:13:30

Just stickied it for you Simon.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
01 November 2019 16:46:50

I didn’t see this until early this morning and it never crossed my mind that it was time for a new thread!!  Doh!  I’ll put it down to age!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
01 November 2019 19:08:44

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I didn’t see this until early this morning and it never crossed my mind that it was time for a new thread!!  Doh!  I’ll put it down to age!  

For the last few months I've been writing a note to leave by my PC in order not to forget. It really would be daft for me to lose out by simply missing the deadline!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
01 November 2019 20:47:41

Originally Posted by: Col 

For the last few months I've been writing a note to leave by my PC in order not to forget. It really would be daft for me to lose out by simply missing the deadline!

Oh no, you can’t go doing anything silly like forgetting to enter at this stage!

Yes, it is quite addictive!  I’m usually champing at the bit for a new thread and I even get in super early if I’m going to be away on holiday for the start of it, but it completely left me this month.  Art usually gives me a heads up on the daily thread as well but he didn’t this month. He must be losing it as well!  

Anyway, I can’t wait to see what you’ve gone for this month but we’ll keep it under wraps for now!  Good luck!

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
01 November 2019 21:11:44

Oh no, you can’t go doing anything silly like forgetting to enter at this stage!

Yes, it is quite addictive!  I’m usually champing at the bit for a new thread and I even get in super early if I’m going to be away on holiday for the start of it, but it completely left me this month.  Art usually gives me a heads up on the daily thread as well but he didn’t this month. He must be losing it as well!  

Anyway, I can’t wait to see what you’ve gone for this month but we’ll keep it under wraps for now!  Good luck!

Thanks Caz, I still can't believe I'm in this position with just 2 months to go in my first ever entry into this competition. I do feel however that November could well be make or break for me!

No chance of me saying what my prediction is now and neither should anyone else, I don't want to watch the teleprinter, I want to see the final classified check!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
ARTzeman
02 November 2019 10:07:32

Roll on next week's temperatures. 4 degrees too much at the moment. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
02 November 2019 10:34:51

Met Office Hadley            10.6c.       Anomaly       1.5c. Provisional to 1st.

Metcheck                         11.13c.     Anomaly        4.21c

Netweather                      12.41c      Anomaly        5.52c

Peasedown St John           11.7c        Anomaly        4.6c. 

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
03 November 2019 04:50:16

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Roll on next week's temperatures. 4 degrees too much at the moment. 

Yes, it’s 4c too much for me too Art but it’s early days and given the way it fell in the last week of October, I’m not worried (yet).  

ARTzeman
03 November 2019 10:46:01

Met Office Hadley          10.3c.        Anomaly        1.2c. Provisional to 2nd.

Metcheck                       10.6c        Anomaly         3.24c

Netweather                    11.47c      Anomaly         4.58c

Peasedown St John         10.5c       Anomaly          2.9c      

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
04 November 2019 11:15:27

Met Office Hadley             9.8c.        Anomaly         1.1c. Provisional to 3rd.

Metcheck                          9.65c       Anomaly         2.73c

Netweather                      10.57c      Anomaly         3.68c

Peasedown St John          10.27c      Anomaly         2.67c.    

Others just get wet.
Bertwhistle
04 November 2019 19:07:53

Well, with the deadline well past, I can tell you I went low. Lowest since 2010 actually, and then only 1985 was lower. Enough said.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 November 2019 19:34:29

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Well, with the deadline well past, I can tell you I went low. Lowest since 2010 actually, and then only 1985 was lower. Enough said.

I’ve gone low too, but not that low!  I think low and brave might be the order of the month though!  

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
04 November 2019 20:08:12

I’ve gone low too, but not that low!  I think low and brave might be the order of the month though!  

I've gone low but how low? My low might have been lower but I didn't want my low to be so low that it was significantly lower than other's lows and thus lower my chances of winning :)

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
ARTzeman
04 November 2019 21:45:51
My low is not all that low. At least it is not the lowest of the lows.

Others just get wet.
scillydave
05 November 2019 06:37:11
And lo I said unto them I too have gone low for the low shall rise them all up the table of standing. And so they prayed for the High which would make it go low and to avoid the Lows which would make it go high. Thus it came to pass that it was High with just small bumping lows which made it go low with much snow and there was much rejoicing save for the heathens who went high. Do they not know it's nearly a winter month the righteous asked? The worthy should always want low.

Weather Gods, Chapter 6, Verse 15.
Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
ARTzeman
05 November 2019 11:27:40

Lowering 

Met Office Hadley            9.4c.         Anomaly      1.0c.  Provisional to 4th.

Metcheck                         9.32c        Anomaly       2.39c

Netweather                      10.18c      Anomaly        3.29c

Peasedown St John        10.35c       Anomaly       2.75c.      

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
05 November 2019 16:18:12

Oh I love you lot!  
You really do plumb the depths to raise a smile!   

ARTzeman
06 November 2019 10:45:05

Met Office Hadley             9.3c.          Anomaly      1.0c.  Provisional to 5th.

Metcheck                          8.83c         Anomaly       1.91c

Netweather                       9.97c         Anomaly       3.08c

Peasedown St John        10.02c        Anomaly        2.42c.     

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
07 November 2019 10:55:31

Met Office Hadley            8.6c.        Anomaly         0.5c. Provisional to 6th.

Metcheck                         8.42c       Anomaly         1.50c

Netweather                      9.29c       Anomaly         2.4c

Peasedown St John       9.6c       Anomaly     2.0c.

Others just get wet.