Gusty
01 November 2019 15:57:45

It looking increasingly likely Whether Idles's remarkable error of 5.99 set a few years ago is safe for another year. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Andy J
01 November 2019 16:29:35

It looks to me that Oct 2019 is the first "below average" month since March 2018, that's 18 consecutive months without a below average one!

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
01 November 2019 16:41:48

Originally Posted by: Andy J 

It looks to me that Oct 2019 is the first "below average" month since March 2018, that's 18 consecutive months without a below average one! 

It might not be the last this year either!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
johncs2016
01 November 2019 17:21:24

Let's hope that we can get plenty of them over the winter which is when I am mostly going to actually want it to be colder than average.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Windy Willow
01 November 2019 17:27:18

Well done to the winner for this month.

I'm pretty happy that my guess was quite low, now. Wasn't so sure for most of the month but it cooled down eventually.

Thanks, as always, to GW for all your effort in running this fun competition.

119.4 m /391.7 feet asl
Sunny Dartford, NW Kent

Don't feed the Trolls!! When starved of attention they return to their dark caves or the dark recesses of bridges and will turn back to stone, silent again!
Frank H
01 November 2019 17:54:53

From 8th place last month I took a gamble to try to catch the leaders. Thinking no one else would gamble this month.

Went high. Sods law for once it came in low.

You win some, you lose some.

Well done to Splinter.

Wrightington, Wigan
Bertwhistle
01 November 2019 18:00:01

Originally Posted by: Frank H 

From 8th place last month I took a gamble to try to catch the leaders. Thinking no one else would gamble this month.

Went high. Sods law for once it came in low.

You win some, you lose some.

Well done to Splinter.

IMO Frank, it's the bold guesses (like yours) that make the thread more interesting, and I think GW would agree, because everybody hedging around the average zone (like me!) will always be more safe than others in general, but is never really playing.

I've tried to step out a bit the last few months. GW's insistence that the preds are PMd means we can't follow each other, which adds to the uncertainty and ergo the excitement.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Gavin P
01 November 2019 18:16:27

Yes that's right but only if your setting it against 61-90. We have had one or two set against 81-10 like May 2019.

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
01 November 2019 18:16:47

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

IMO Frank, it's the bold guesses (like yours) that make the thread more interesting, and I think GW would agree, because everybody hedging around the average zone (like me!) will always be more safe than others in general, but is never really playing.

I've tried to step out a bit the last few months. GW's insistence that the preds are PMd means we can't follow each other, which adds to the uncertainty and ergo the excitement.

Yes, I’d agree with that!  I’m a bit of an average snowflake really and it doesn’t pay!  

splinter
01 November 2019 21:21:15

I can't believe I won this month, although it is the first time I've put a bit of thought into my prediction. It was a big surprise to see I had the lowest prediction, especially as it seemed October would start with a cool spell.

Croydon, South London
Jerry P
01 November 2019 23:27:17

Originally Posted by: splinter 

It was a big surprise to see I had the lowest prediction, especially as it seemed October would start with a cool spell.

The cool start to October was my thinking for a low guess as well.  I also thought we wouldn't get an 'Indian Summer' spell although frankly that was just luck as the near continent was very warm for much of October 😳

West Somerset, 103m asl
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
02 November 2019 03:49:36

Originally Posted by: Jerry P 

The cool start to October was my thinking for a low guess as well.  I also thought we wouldn't get an 'Indian Summer' spell although frankly that was just luck as the near continent was very warm for much of October 😳

It’s nice to hear what other members thoughts were when making their predictions!  It winds the thread up nicely and adds to the friendly competitiveness.  I can’t wait to see what you’ve all plumped for this month!  

Devonian
03 November 2019 13:49:16

Originally Posted by: Caz 

It’s nice to hear what other members thoughts were when making their predictions!  It winds the thread up nicely and adds to the friendly competitiveness.  I can’t wait to see what you’ve all plumped for this month!  

Well, I generally look at the models to ten days out, add a bit on for you know what, make a guess and hope

It was much colder (though it's all relative - we've barely had a ground frost so far this autumn) than I'd guessed - but then it rained nearly every day and we didn't see many SWlies...

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
Stormchaser
03 November 2019 19:05:58

Just realised, I never said thanks for the congrats last month, so uh - a very belated cheers? 

Congrats to Splinter for this month- just edged me out! Would have felt bonkers to 'win' two months in a row.

Very happy to have a cumulative of 0.17*C for two months though. Probably the best I've ever lucked out! 

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
03 November 2019 19:14:22

Originally Posted by: Devonian 

Well, I generally look at the models to ten days out, add a bit on for you know what, make a guess and hope

It was much colder (though it's all relative - we've barely had a ground frost so far this autumn) than I'd guessed - but then it rained nearly every day and we didn't see many SWlies...

I would think it’s harder for you in Devon to get a feel for what it will be like in the CET areas.  It should be easier for me because those areas are fairly similar to my local conditions, we had a few frosts last month!   Having said that, I’m not doing very well in the competition!  

Global Warming
16 November 2019 20:53:19

Apologies for the lengthy delay. Here are the charts for October. A rather cool month.

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Chart 1

Chart 2

Chart 3

Table 1

Table 2

Global Warming
16 November 2019 21:15:30

Annual CET competition - October update

Here is the late update for October.

Congratulations to splinter who had the closest prediction in October. This moves him up eight places into the top 10. Jerry P is also a big mover climbing six to sixth.

No change in the top 4 though. It is very tight indeed with two months to go. Col retains the lead for the fourth consecutive month.

TABLE 1

marting
17 November 2019 08:02:46

Thanks for the update GW, well done Splinter. Nice and close as we move through the last few weeks!😀

Martin
Greasby, Wirral.