Shropshire
08 November 2019 07:00:14

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

Very wet at the moment. Seems to have happened a number of times recently this year of a prolonged period of rain.

Yes, and of course we know that if were winter and cold enough for some of these set-ups to be snow the action would all be further South..

From December 27th 2020, zonality will be banned from mixing with the UK. We appreciate that this may come as a shock to younger people and old Uncle Barty. This ban will last for a minimum of ten days.
johncs2016
08 November 2019 07:53:49

Originally Posted by: Shropshire 

Yes, and of course we know that if were winter and cold enough for some of these set-ups to be snow the action would all be further South..

For those of us here in Scotland though, that doesn't actually matter since all of the action is already too far south to affect us in any way as it is.

Yet more evidence that we generally, just don't get "interesting" weather in this part of the world these days.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
KevBrads1
10 November 2019 06:54:05

Some weird shaped clouds for a short time yesterday to my west.

Nessie or Martian spacecraft from the original War of the Worlds film?

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
10 November 2019 08:11:08

Some weird shaped clouds for a short time yesterday to my west.

Nessie or Martian spacecraft from the original War of the Worlds film?

Looks like Concorde to me!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
richardabdn
12 November 2019 18:16:12

This month has been spectacularly vile and the only difference there would be, if the same putrid synoptics were to repeat in mid-winter, would be that we would be suffering constant grey skies and rain with temperatures of 2-7C instead of constant grey skies and rain with temperatures of 5-10C. A pattern change is needed urgently to save us from that filth and literally anything would be an improvement.

It’s just wrist-slittingly awful garbage. The combination of suppressed daytime temperatures, low diurnal ranges and frost-free nights is absolutely horrific and like nothing we ever used to get before. I can’t think of anything worse. Just one air frost so far is a disgrace and no different to what we have typically seen by this stage in this decade of totally rank autumns. In fact mild south westerly Novembers like 2015 gave far more in the way of cold – e.g. max of only 1.6C and 5cm of snow on the 21st – than this horror show is ever likely to produce – and needless to say was far drier, brighter and tolerable.

Nothing but totally dire crap forecast for the foreseeable. If anything it looks like getting even worse with lower daytime temperatures but even milder nights. It would be unprecedented for November to have an above average mean min with such a low average mean max. So yet another all time low reached in this godawful decade. Hard to believe there is anything left in the bottom of the barrel after the past 12 years or more of near constant rubbish wet summers, disgusting frostless autumns and tedious snowless winters.

With rain every day so far it is well on course to set a new record in that department and with a horrific and depressing 15 hours of sun so far is well on target for another top 10 dull month and will likely even beat 2014’s wretched total of 41 hours.

It is just a foul and worthless month with nothing going for it whatsoever. At least November 1997 was so bad and hideously wet that the massive rain totals were of some interest. Nothing of interest about this month and its constant light rain that never adds up to anything noteworthy

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
idj20
15 November 2019 15:13:24

It's not so much that it is p**sing down again and I can even live with the coolness as it's been making for excellent nights sleep but today it went all dark at 2 pm, I've had to turn lights on indoors. That depresses me, yet yesterday at 3 pm there was enough mid-afternoon sunshine beaming into my west-facing to make it warm and bright indoors.
  Still, it should make for an uneventful evening here at the harbour area as I can't imagine that many local drunks wanting to make a night of it on the town tonight. I think they'd have to be extremely bored and/or desperate to do so.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Windy Willow
15 November 2019 16:42:57

No complaints from me for this autumn thus far. Sure it's been a bit wet but it's also been very bright & sunny too, with plenty of different colours on the tree's that still have leaves. My walk into work has been glorious most days, as my route takes me along a wooded footpath & there's nothing more joyful than kicking through a thick bed of dry, crispy leaves, or trying to sneak through so as not to disturb the squirrels & birds, which is almost impossible, at present.

It's also been nice to be a bit cool to chilly, it feels more seasonal. All I  need now is some fog & that will then make it perfect! 

Far from a moan. Sorry if there's another more appropriate thread, I've somehow missed it...

119.4 m /391.7 feet asl
Sunny Dartford, NW Kent

Don't feed the Trolls!! When starved of attention they return to their dark caves or the dark recesses of bridges and will turn back to stone, silent again!
richardabdn
20 November 2019 21:31:40

Yet another outlook so vile it begs the question ‘What the hell is happening to our weather?

Once again no sign of what should be the prevailing changeable westerlies just endless south easterly vomit bringing constant rain/dampness, virtually no sun, virtually no diurnal range and ridiculously mild nights. We just can’t get any extended period without these toxic winds which are like a boomerang coated in poison. They keep coming back to inflict dangerous levels of depression and misery.

This is even worse than the same period last November. It is just wrist-slittingly awful garbage with no saving graces whatsoever. Worrying similarities now with the same period of 2002.

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?LANG=en&CEL=C&SI=mph&CONT=ukuk&LAND=UK&REGION=0003&WMO=03091&LEVEL=52&R=0&NOREGION=1 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
KevBrads1
21 November 2019 20:44:24

Despite how wet it has been, the word "gale" has been notably absent in local forecast this autumn. 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
roadrunnerajn
21 November 2019 20:55:54
The difference a few hundred miles makes... I’ve recorded 12 days this month with gusts above 40mph the max being 82mph.
Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
johncs2016
21 November 2019 21:39:04

Despite how wet it has been, the word "gale" has been notably absent in local forecast this autumn. 

True, and that plays a huge part in what has made this, our most boring autumn on record in my view.

By that, I don't mean that this autumn has been boring everywhere and indeed, this autumn has been far more interesting across the rest of the UK than what it has been here in Edinburgh and the reason for that is simply due to the fact that we haven't had the excessive flooding rains which locations much further to the south of here has experienced.

That of course, doesn't mean that I want to be flooded out (we had our share of that during the summer after all). However, more "interesting" weather doesn't necessarily have to be the sort of weather in which I actually want to see and so although I wouldn't want to flooded out, the fact that this has happened in other parts of the UK is what has made the weather in those locations more "interesting" than what it has been here.

Meanwhile, our weather here in Edinburgh has been more mundane and boring in comparison as we have been almost constantly bombarded with yet more constant grey skies without anything which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather actually happening, and that is where my gripe lies because although it can be interesting to see what the weather is like elsewhere (at least, that's how Caz would probably view that), I shouldn't have to be constantly relying on what the weather is like elsewhere in order for that to then be my only source of interest as far as our weather is concerned.

That in turn, is compounded by the lack of gales during this autumn, which has been a common feature throughout the UK this autumn. It is easy to forget that it was back in early September that the Met Office in conjunction with the Irish and Dutch Met services announced their list of storm names for this autumn/winter season and yet almost three months later, there are still no signs on the latest model output of the first such named storm under this system actually appearing on the scene.

Normally by now, we would have had around a couple of those named storms on average and when they do appear on the scene, they do result in me being that bit more interested in our weather even if the effects of these storms are actually being felt elsewhere other than here. For that reason, I just don't feel that this autumn has felt the same in any way without those named storms and what makes this even more remarkable is that fact that even during the Beast from the East events in February/March 2018, there was Storm Emma which dumped a lot of snow onto SW England which as a result of that, caused that part of the world to come under a similar sort of red weather warning which we were under here in Edinburgh at that time due to the more convective snowfalls which kept piling in from off the North Sea at that time.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Russwirral
21 November 2019 21:50:02

Our door step has  usually suffered several episodes of being "knee deep in leaves" Ive filled several wheelie bins with the volume ive had over the years.  Why is this strange? My road doesn't have any trees on it.  Theyre all over 1 - 2 roads away.  But as i live first on the street I get vortices that drop them on my drive and no one elses.  Its a proper pain.

However - this year I can probably count the number of leaves ive had to pick up. Mainly because they have fallen wet and stuck to the floor immediately.  But also there hasn't really been any wind to blow them this way either.

If we can get another 2-3 weeks of this kind of setup, then this autumn would have been fantastic.

johncs2016
22 November 2019 08:50:26

Unlike on other recent mornings, I'm not going to give my usual report on today's CC thread as there is no point in me doing so due to the fact that by now, just about everyone on this forum will probably be able to guess that this has been yet another dull, dismal, depressing and soul destroying morning with yet more constant grey skies, and with nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather actually happening.

Just about everyone knows how boring our almost constant lack of any sort of interesting weather during this autumn in this part of the world has been. That has led others on this forum to advise me that this is the more appropriate thread for venting those feelings rather than on the daily CC threads, and that is why I have now decided to follow that advise.

Once again, I have woken up to yet another frost-free horror show as the presence of too much cloud resulted in the temperatures refusing to drop during last night. It is overcast as I have said already and yet, we still just can't buy any sort of rainfall these days in order to save ourselves. This means that it is a complete waste of time, even trying to look up any sort of rainfall totals for here since these are always going to show either a reading of 0.0 mm, or some tediously small value (such as 0.2 mm) which isn't even worth bothering about.

Yet, we have had less than half of our average amount of sunshine during this month despite the fact that we are now, more than two thirds of the way through this month. In addition to that, we have had more completely sunless days during this month than on any other month during this year and at this rate, we are even on course to overtake the number of sunless days which we had during last December by the end of this month.

Yet whilst all of that is happening, what at one point had looked as though it was going to be a wetter than average month even here, now appears to be ambling towards being our first drier than average month since April. There are plenty of people on this forum who are fed up with the amount of rain which they have been getting recently but when you get a lot of rain, that is at least serving some sort of useful purpose.

For this part of the world on the other hand, this constant lack of interesting weather serves no purpose whatsoever, and does nothing other than to mess about with my mental well-being to the point where I am now really sick and tired of all of this, and just want to see something happening here for a change.

The fact that it has been colder than average overall does at least make it feel a bit more seasonable than what other recent autumns have been like but even with that, I would much rather be getting that colder than average weather during the winter when I am actually looking for that (hopefully with plenty of snow as well), rather than getting those colder than average temperatures right now during this autumn, only to then find that the actual winter is mild yet again.

That to me, is no different from me looking for summer-like weather to occur during the actual summer, rather than getting that during the spring only for that to then, be followed by a poor summer which tends to happen quite a lot here.

ARTzeman
22 November 2019 10:10:07

Raining and it is washing day.   

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
22 November 2019 10:30:41

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

For this part of the world on the other hand, this constant lack of interesting weather serves no purpose whatsoever, and does nothing other than to mess about with my mental well-being to the point where I am now really sick and tired of all of this, and just want to see something happening here for a change.

I seem to recall you got -6C a week or so back. That's a pretty sharp frost for mid-November so I don't think you can really claim that your weather has been constantly uninteresting. By comparison, my lowest temp this November was -2.8C. Nobody gets exciting weather all the time!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Russwirral
22 November 2019 13:23:48

Originally Posted by: Col 

I seem to recall you got -6C a week or so back. That's a pretty sharp frost for mid-November so I don't think you can really claim that your weather has been constantly uninteresting. By comparison, my lowest temp this November was -2.8C. Nobody gets exciting weather all the time!

Agreed Col

These weather boards always give the impression theres extreme weather all the time.

Well, its been grey and cold for over 2 weeks now in the wirral.  very similar weather to Edinburgh.  Its late Autumn in the uk.  Nothing ever happens at this time of the year.  Its just permanent damp and muddy.

You are not the exception.

Crepuscular Ray
22 November 2019 13:43:40
Not bad in Edinburgh Sunday and Monday John. I walked a good 6 miles around Arthur's Seat and Blackford Hill after the -5 C start, blue sky, valley inversion and frost in the shade, a sparkling winter-like day👍
Monday I did a 9 mile beach walk from North Berwick to Gullane and back. After a -7 C start there was frost on the beach all day!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
johncs2016
22 November 2019 14:01:17

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Not bad in Edinburgh Sunday and Monday John. I walked a good 6 miles around Arthur's Seat and Blackford Hill after the -5 C start, blue sky, valley inversion and frost in the shade, a sparkling winter-like day👍
Monday I did a 9 mile beach walk from North Berwick to Gullane and back. After a -7 C start there was frost on the beach all day!

In complete contrast to that though, today has been completely overcast and damp. In fact, today has actually been dark enough up until now for me to have needed to have my house lights on all day whilst I have been indoors.

The poor weather conditions obviously don't help matters here, but that is also partly due to the fact that we are now less than a month away from the winter solstice which means that we have now entered that period (which is also centred around the winter solstice) when the Sun never actually gets high enough in the sky even at midday, for it to become completely light on an overcast day whist I am indoors.

In addition to that, there has been a bit of rain around at times but so far, this has amounted to just 0.4 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 0.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. That is just exactly what I mean by boring and uninteresting weather which for the latter part of this month in particular (the earlier part of this month was also just as dismal but was at least, a bit more interesting due to the higher rainfall totals which we were getting then), has been very much the dominant weather type which we have been seeing, rather than those cold and frosty conditions which you have described, and which I did describe on that day's CC thread as a very welcome (but all too brief) respite from that almost constant borefest which we have had to endure these days.

Russwirral
22 November 2019 14:37:13

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

In complete contrast to that though, today has been completely overcast and damp. In fact, today has actually been dark enough up until now for me to have needed to have my house lights on all day whilst I have been indoors.

The poor weather conditions obviously don't help matters here, but that is also partly due to the fact that we are now less than a month away from the winter solstice which means that we have now entered that period (which is also centred around the winter solstice) when the Sun never actually gets high enough in the sky even at midday, for it to become completely light on an overcast day whist I am indoors.

In addition to that, there has been a bit of rain around at times but so far, this has amounted to just 0.4 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 0.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. That is just exactly what I mean by boring and uninteresting weather which for the latter part of this month in particular, has been very much the dominant weather type which we have been seeing, rather than those cold and frosty conditions which you have described, and which I did describe on that day's CC thread as a very welcome (but all too brief) respite from that almost constant borefest which we have had to endure these days.

John its 7*C here and been cloudy for a few days.  Weve measured 1mm of rain today, an even though it rained early morning, the ground is still damp and never dried off. 

My house lamps are on all day now.

Indeed, its boring and means you cant get anything done.  But its not just you - this is just standard Autumn winter weather, no need to get down about it.

We managed -2 the other day, making it the 4th or 5th coldest day of 2019.  but that still pales in comparison with your -5 or 6.  Be happy with that :)

johncs2016
22 November 2019 14:50:34

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

John its 7*C here and been cloudy for a few days.  Weve measured 1mm of rain today, an even though it rained early morning, the ground is still damp and never dried off. 

My house lamps are on all day now.

Indeed, its boring and means you cant get anything done.  But its not just you - this is just standard Autumn winter weather, no need to get down about it.

We managed -2 the other day, making it the 4th or 5th coldest day of 2019.  but that still pales in comparison with your -5 or 6.  Be happy with that :)

That would be fine of course, if we got those colder temperatures during the actual winter which is the very time of the year when I am looking for them, and the fact that your 4th or 5th coldest day of the year (as you put it; for here, I think that this was about our second coldest day of the year although I would need to check on that) hasn't even occurred during the actual winter itself, just shows how poor last winter actually was in that regard.

Indeed, this has been a colder than average autumn overall. However, this could easily end up being just the opposite scenario as what commonly occurs with our summers where we get a lot of summer-like weather during the spring (around April/May) only for the summer itself to be cool and unsettled. If that ends up being the case, then this coming winter will be mild as usual whereas I would much rather be getting our cold weather then, even if this meant that it wasn't quite as cold just now.

In any case, no cold spell is ever quite complete as far as I'm concerned, unless we also get at least a little bit of snow with that. Once again, that still hasn't happened on this occasion and it is absolutely ridiculous that we are still having to go all the way back to 2010 to find the last such occasion when we last actually had any snow during November, especially since I have a number of childhood memories of that happening in a fairly regular basis during my earlier years on this planet.