Light Cloud Breezy

13·0 c Humidity 96% Rh

1019 hPa SSW Breeze 9 mph

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
roadrunnerajn
31 August 2019 06:31:14
Overcast as frontal system approaches from the west, 16c. Gusty SW wind.
Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
johncs2016
31 August 2019 06:35:02
Today is of course, the last day of the meteorological summer and today (and indeed, this weekend) started off on yet another dry but mostly overcast note although there was a little bit of clear sky to my east to start off with, which allowed me to have quite a good view of the final sunrise of this summer.

Since then though, the weather has gone more downhill and it is now raining here in Edinburgh as I write. There was also a little bit of rain during the early hours of this morning, but this has resulted in a total of just 0.2 mm of rain being recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 7am this morning, along with 0.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh although it now looks as though this wet summer and very wet month which we have experienced here, is about to end on a rather damp note.

Last night was warm and humid yet again, and was even warmer than the previous night before that as last night's overnight minimum temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank has been confirmed as 15.2°C.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 7am this morning was around 16°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ktaylor
31 August 2019 06:43:04

Overnight low of 9.1c. Currently clear sunny 11.9c. Humidity 97%. Dew point 12.0c. Rain last 24hr 0.0mm. Air pressure 1013.7mb.

Come on you spurs
Save ryarsh stop the quarry
https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com 
marco 79
31 August 2019 06:55:19
Early sunshine...cloud encroaching from the west...light to mod SW breeze..14.1c..1010mb
Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
Skreever
31 August 2019 07:06:19
Wet and windy

Wind E fresh breeze

Temp 10.5C
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
31 August 2019 07:54:57

An unusual cloudscape this morning, with cumulus, altocumulus and cirrocumulus visible all at the same time; calm, dry.

13.7*C (minimum of 9.7*C at 7.00am); 93%RH.

1010.2mb falling.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
bradders
31 August 2019 08:27:58

Mostly cloudy, occasional sunny intervals.

Strong Southerly wind.

Temp 17.4C

Overnight low 15.3C

Pressure 1006mb falling.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
johncs2016
31 August 2019 12:08:03

This morning's rain has now cleared away after resulting in a total of just 1.4 mm of rain being recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

It is very windy with maximum wind gusts at Edinburgh Gogarbank gusting up to 42.3 mph from the WSW as at 12 noon.

However, a total of 1.4 hours of sunshine has been recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 12 noon which means that we only need at least another 2.7 hours of sunshine between now and sunset in order for this month to go down as being sunnier than average.

In yesterday's CC thread, I mentioned that the omens weren't looking too good for that based on today's forecast, but that is not actually the case. In a recent BBC Scotland forecast, it was mentioned that any rain would clear during today to leave us with a mixture of sunshine and showers.

That doesn't necessarily mean that we will actually get those showers but more importantly in this case, that is when we quite often end up getting our highest sunshine totals, so it is looking as though we might get away with this month being sunnier than average at Edinburgh Gogarbank after all.

Even though we aren't quite finished with summer just yet though, the temperatures are already refusing to rise, and have actually dropped a bit over the last hour or so to around 16°C here in Edinburgh as at 12 noon.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
31 August 2019 12:57:54

I've just had a look at the rainfall radar to check on the progression of the cold front across the country, and I see that there is a noticeable squall line associated with it, extending from the north Yorkshire coast to the Dorset coast, with a discontinuity around the SW Midlands.  A remarkable feature.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
ARTzeman
  • ARTzeman
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
31 August 2019 14:54:33

Broken Cloud with sunny intervals.

18.0c Humidity 61% Rh. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
richardabdn
31 August 2019 16:12:57

Subarctic wilderness conditions here with a rattling wind, grey skies and a shocking temp of only 11.3C  More noteworthy than last weekends temperatures and once again showing how much easier it is to get near to record low daytime temperatures than record high in summer these days. The opposite is of course true for the night-time period 

A rotten day on the whole. Grey and drizzly in the morning with temps around 15C then the sun came out briefly in the early afternoon to give a temperature spike of 18.6C but within half-an hour down to 12.9C and heavy rain as the cold front passed through.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Bertwhistle
31 August 2019 16:48:30

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Subarctic wilderness conditions here with a rattling wind, grey skies and a shocking temp of only 11.3C  More noteworthy than last weekends temperatures and once again showing how much easier it is to get near to record low daytime temperatures than record high in summer these days. The opposite is of course true for the night-time period 

A rotten day on the whole. Grey and drizzly in the morning with temps around 15C then the sun came out briefly in the early afternoon to give a temperature spike of 18.6C but within half-an hour down to 12.9C and heavy rain as the cold front passed through.

So- not a near record low temperature day after all. In fact, I should think an 18.6 max at this date there is not at all bad.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
idj20
31 August 2019 18:11:06

It came over cloudy with light rain as the remnants of the decaying cold front has arrived here, but the setting sun is already starting to break through again. Up until now, it has been a fair day with some sunshine resulted in a peak of 23.4 at 2 pm despite a brisk W breeze.

Currently a somewhat fresher feeling 18.7 c.

Folkestone Harbour. 
johncs2016
31 August 2019 19:48:06
This afternoon and evening brought us more in the way of sunshine and in the end, a total of 6.4 hours of sunshine was recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank. That in the end, was enough for this to mean that this month will after all, now go down as being sunnier than average overall there as a result although that was a close run thing in the end with that outcome not actually being confirmed until after the data for 5pm this afternoon had come in.

Furthermore, there was also quite a heavy shower of rain during this evening which means that a total of 1.4 mm of rain has been recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8pm this evening along with 1.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. This means that today will after all, now go down as the final official rain day of both this month and this summer at both of those stations as a result.

Today's maximum temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank was confirmed as 18.4°C, but with that maximum temperature being reached during the latter part of this month.

Since then, the temperatures have been slowly dropping as a result of us now being in a much cooler air mass and so, tonight is also cooler than of late because of that. The result of this is that the temperature at 8pm this evening was now down to around 12°C here in Edinburgh.