AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
01 September 2019 10:04:49

Rainfall total for August here was 38.6mm, which is 73% of the Edenbridge LTA for the month.

The total for the year to end August is 315.1mm which is 75% of the LTA for that period.

If johncs2016 is reading this, could I ask where you find the data from your local MetO stations, please?  I have rummaged around on the MetO website and not been able to find any way of finding out. 

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
johncs2016
01 September 2019 10:48:50

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

Rainfall total for August here was 38.6mm, which is 73% of the Edenbridge LTA for the month.

The total for the year to end August is 315.1mm which is 75% of the LTA for that period.

If johncs2016 is reading this, could I ask where you find the data from your local MetO stations, please?  I have rummaged around on the MetO website and not been able to find any way of finding out. 

I tend to get a lot of my local data from weathercast.co.uk which gives me the latest rainfall data on an hourly basis for Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. As a backup, I can also get some rainfall data from SEPA (which is the Scottish Environment Protection Agency). That is just for here in Scotland, but the English equivalent of that is the Environment Agency where you might be able to find some more info. Since I'm not on that side of the Border though, that isn't something which I can help you with.

Other sites to check are weatheronline.co.uk and others such as ogimet and meteomanz.com. All I can suggest here is that you do a Google search for those sites and maybe others such as wunderground.com where you may be able to find some data from some nearby local personal weather stations.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
01 September 2019 11:32:37

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

I tend to get a lot of my local data from weathercast.co.uk which gives me the latest rainfall data on an hourly basis for Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. As a backup, I can also get some rainfall data from SEPA (which is the Scottish Environment Protection Agency). That is just for here in Scotland, but the English equivalent of that is the Environment Agency where you might be able to find some more info. Since I'm not on that side of the Border though, that isn't something which I can help you with.

Other sites to check are weatheronline.co.uk and others such as ogimet and meteomanz.com. All I can suggest here is that you do a Google search for those sites and maybe others such as wunderground.com where you may be able to find some data from some nearby local personal weather stations.

Thanks very much John, that's very helpful.  I'll chase up those sites.  I've been using wunderground.com to look at local PWSs but just recently the site seems to have lost fairly substantial chunks of data from them. Even data that were available on measurements in July have gone missing since I first looked at them during the month.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Andy J
01 September 2019 19:07:16

Final total for August 2019 here is 72.5mm (123% of average).  Wettest 3 days were the 4th with 11mm from two thunderstorms, 14mm from overnight rain on the 8th, and 20mm on the 16th.

Overall, a very wet Summer here with a total of 274mm, (162% of average).  The 5th wettest Summer here over the last 37 years, and all of those top 5 wettest Summers have occurred in the last 15 years!

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.