Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

49 Pages«<46474849>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Brian Gaze  
#941 Posted : 31 July 2019 15:04:54(UTC)
Brian Gaze

Rank: Administration

Joined: 04/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 46,177

Originally Posted by: Col Go to Quoted Post

 

Somone did just that and posted the picture here, most likely in this very thread. Can't remember who it was but if you search back I'm sure you will find it.

IMO it was impossible to tell from the photo.

I don't know why it is proving so difficult to get an answer to a very simple question TBH. The grass border is either 1.5m wide all the way around the Stevenson screen or it isn't. 

Edit: the Google 3d view helps. The imagery appears to be from 2019 and to me it looks as though the grass border is more than 1.5m.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cambridge+University+Botanic+Garden/@52.1939569,0.1286754,62a,35y,90h,39.61t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47d8709dc9b6fa03:0xeddc913f0dc06549!8m2!3d52.193364!4d0.1275918?hl=en-GB&authuser=0

 

Edited by user 31 July 2019 15:15:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Gaze

Berkhamsted

TWO Buzz - get the latest news and views

"I'm not socialist, I know that. I don't believe in sharing my money." - Gary Numan

Offline John Mason  
#942 Posted : 31 July 2019 15:18:20(UTC)
John Mason

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 06/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,397

Of course, one relevant point to this whole debate that could apply to any weather-station whose location had not drastically changed for a few years is that it also broke its own record, which even if warmer than other local stations, is still a significant observation.

Offline andy-manc  
#943 Posted : 31 July 2019 15:20:39(UTC)
andy-manc

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/07/2013(UTC)
Posts: 245
Location: Lowton, nr Warrington

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze Go to Quoted Post

 

IMO it was impossible to tell from the photo.

I don't know why it is proving so difficult to get an answer to a very simple question TBH. The grass border is either 1.5m wide all the way around the Stevenson screen or it isn't. 

Edit: the Google 3d view helps. The imagery appears to be from 2019 and to me it looks as though the grass border is more than 1.5m.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cambridge+University+Botanic+Garden/@52.1939569,0.1286754,62a,35y,90h,39.61t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47d8709dc9b6fa03:0xeddc913f0dc06549!8m2!3d52.193364!4d0.1275918?hl=en-GB&authuser=0

 

You can right click and 'measure distance' on Google from a PC. I measure it at pretty much dead on 1.5m at the shortest distance

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Edited by user 31 July 2019 15:23:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Col  
#944 Posted : 31 July 2019 15:31:38(UTC)
Col

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 889
Location: Bolton 160m asl

Originally Posted by: andy-manc Go to Quoted Post

 

You can right click and 'measure distance' on Google from a PC. I measure it at pretty much dead on 1.5m at the shortest distance

They could of course move the screen into the centre of that patch, it does look a little odd like that, even if the 1.5m distance has been maintained. I guess with this being a botanic gardens and all, cultivated & uncultivated areas are going to be constantly changing.

 

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Col

Bolton, Lancashire

160m asl

Snow videos:

http://www.youtube.com/c...UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg

Offline Snow Hoper  
#945 Posted : 31 July 2019 15:38:58(UTC)
Snow Hoper

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 06/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 38,053
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Thorndon, Suffolk

That's one thing that bugs me with all this. The met office have an army of would be data collectors, probably for free, if they just took the time etc to implement it. I for one would gladly provide data with the right equipment, at no cost, because it's my love of the information and extremes that fuels it all.
By the time you realise your parents were right, your kids already think that you're wrong!

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.

Work: Around Bury St Edmunds.

Offline james  
#946 Posted : 31 July 2019 15:44:16(UTC)
james

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 15/11/2007(UTC)
Posts: 54
Location: Cambridge 19masl

Originally Posted by: Col Go to Quoted Post

They could of course move the screen into the centre of that patch, it does look a little odd like that, even if the 1.5m distance has been maintained. I guess with this being a botanic gardens and all, cultivated & uncultivated areas are going to be constantly changing.

It's not usual to have the screen 1.5m from one edge of the defined area, because it needs it to be sufficiently far away from other instruments e.g. the rain gauge.

Offline lanky  
#947 Posted : 31 July 2019 16:04:42(UTC)
lanky

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,504
Man

This is the 5km grid Average Maximum Temperature for the UK on 10th August 2003 showing just SE England with Brogdale highlighted

(click in the image for a bigger version)

It can be seen that the Brogdale area is somewhat split off from the main area of higher temperature and a number of nearby cells are 2 -3 degrees C lower

As was mentioned earlier, this could be the effect of local topography and not an erroneous reading

This is Met Office data but they do not explain how these 5km cells are populated. They obviously include local stations in the area but here must also be quite a bit of averaging, projection and interpolation to get full coverage of the 10,000 or so cells which make up the UK

 

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Martin

Richmond, Surrey

Offline LeedsLad123  
#948 Posted : 31 July 2019 16:17:35(UTC)
LeedsLad123

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 06/11/2010(UTC)
Posts: 6,687
Man
Location: Leeds

Originally Posted by: Snow Hoper Go to Quoted Post
That's one thing that bugs me with all this. The met office have an army of would be data collectors, probably for free, if they just took the time etc to implement it. I for one would gladly provide data with the right equipment, at no cost, because it's my love of the information and extremes that fuels it all.

Yes - please Met Office if you’re reading this, send me some top notch equipment and I’ll happily take readings for you. laughing

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Offline Rob K  
#949 Posted : 31 July 2019 17:10:58(UTC)
Rob K

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 20,960
Location: Northeast Hampshire

Originally Posted by: Gavin D Go to Quoted Post

The met office said the overall overnight minimum record didn't go, however Brogdale shows a minimum of 24.3c in the 24hr period of July 25th to 26th

 

http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/view?&reportId=8082001&siteID=25668314

 

Where are you finding that reading? As far as I can tell this is the 0900Z data for |July 26 and it shows a minimum of 20.0C, with 24.3C the reading at 0900Z.

 

http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/201907263foef47xtye6ucrdyyb96sccar

 

The highest minimum was for 23-24 July, at 21.3C: http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/20190724o6e55hpqdre6ucrdyyb96sp8dh

 

 

 

Edited by user 31 July 2019 17:12:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl.
Offline Retron  
#950 Posted : 31 July 2019 18:00:16(UTC)
Retron

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 23,847
Location: Leysdown-on-Sea

Originally Posted by: lanky Go to Quoted Post

It can be seen that the Brogdale area is somewhat split off from the main area of higher temperature and a number of nearby cells are 2 -3 degrees C lower

As was mentioned earlier, this could be the effect of local topography and not an erroneous reading

This is Met Office data but they do not explain how these 5km cells are populated. They obviously include local stations in the area but here must also be quite a bit of averaging, projection and interpolation to get full coverage of the 10,000 or so cells which make up the UK

The cells to the immediate north are Sheppey, so yes - they would be a fair bit lower due to the cooling effect of the marshes and the Swale.

As I keep saying, it's the local topography that results in Faversham (and Sittingbourne, to the west, for that matter) being a hotspot IF the conditions are right. Take it from a local!

Offline Gusty  
#951 Posted : 02 August 2019 09:36:53(UTC)
Gusty

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 14,259
Man
Location: Folkestone

Hi all.

Just back from France. We missed the exceptional UK heatwave but experienced 41c (106f) near Angers on the car thermo.

Catching up on my stats imagine my shock at seeing 39.2c as my max on the 25th July.

My first reaction is an erroneous reading.

However...Langdon Bay reached 35.9c that day at 130m asl jutting out into the Dover Strait. I normally record 3 degress warmer than that location.

A couple of questions.

How did IDJ and Whether Idle compare that day ? If my reading is accurate then I expect to see a T2M of 38+ from my local buddies who are located at sea level close to the shoreline.

I'm trying to piece things together but mysteriously Wundermap had a number of local weather stations out of action that day.

Thanks 

Edited by user 02 August 2019 09:39:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

Join Kent Weather on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/

Offline Snow Hoper  
#952 Posted : 02 August 2019 14:28:43(UTC)
Snow Hoper

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 06/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 38,053
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Thorndon, Suffolk

Originally Posted by: Gusty Go to Quoted Post

Hi all.

Just back from France. We missed the exceptional UK heatwave but experienced 41c (106f) near Angers on the car thermo.

Catching up on my stats imagine my shock at seeing 39.2c as my max on the 25th July.

My first reaction is an erroneous reading.

However...Langdon Bay reached 35.9c that day at 130m asl jutting out into the Dover Strait. I normally record 3 degress warmer than that location.

A couple of questions.

How did IDJ and Whether Idle compare that day ? If my reading is accurate then I expect to see a T2M of 38+ from my local buddies who are located at sea level close to the shoreline.

I'm trying to piece things together but mysteriously Wundermap had a number of local weather stations out of action that day.

Thanks 

Hi Steve, 

Can't be sure, but I think Ian's Vue went up by like 3C in an Hour from 35C to 38C sometime after 3pm. He was quite uneasy about it like you are with yours. Mine up here got to 37.6C but although in open space and over grass is in full sun (cant odds it).

By the time you realise your parents were right, your kids already think that you're wrong!

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.

Work: Around Bury St Edmunds.

Offline Gusty  
#953 Posted : 02 August 2019 15:29:23(UTC)
Gusty

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 14,259
Man
Location: Folkestone

Originally Posted by: Snow Hoper Go to Quoted Post

 Hi Steve, 

Can't be sure, but I think Ian's Vue went up by like 3C in an Hour from 35C to 38C sometime after 3pm. 

Thanks Snowhoper. That's really useful to understand.

Hopefully Whether Idle and Ian can verify soon.

It sounds as there was some sort of event that turned a very hot day to an historic day down here on the corner. The max occured at 17:01hrs. Unfortunately due to the lack of Met Office official stations around here means we'll never know.

 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

Join Kent Weather on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/

Offline Tim A  
#954 Posted : 02 August 2019 15:42:37(UTC)
Tim A

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 09/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 13,243
Man
Location: Leeds

Were there any record minimums recorded?
I recorded 21.0c min Thr/Fri night which is the highest I have ever recorded. Missed this thread from Friday morning onwards due to being away. 

Tim

NW Leeds (1 mile east of LBA)

187m asl

Offline Rob K  
#955 Posted : 02 August 2019 17:02:08(UTC)
Rob K

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 20,960
Location: Northeast Hampshire

Originally Posted by: Tim A Go to Quoted Post

Were there any record minimums recorded?
I recorded 21.0c min Thr/Fri night which is the highest I have ever recorded. Missed this thread from Friday morning onwards due to being away. 

I believe the Scottish record minimum went. 20.9C minimum at Achnagart on 25th/26th. https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1154680158105800704

 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl.
Offline Caz  
#956 Posted : 02 August 2019 17:15:34(UTC)
Caz

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 18,146
Woman
Location: Market Warsop, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands

Originally Posted by: Gusty Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Snowhoper. That's really useful to understand.

Hopefully Whether Idle and Ian can verify soon.

It sounds as there was some sort of event that turned a very hot day to an historic day down here on the corner. The max occured at 17:01hrs. Unfortunately due to the lack of Met Office official stations around here means we'll never know.

 

Temps rose quickly from early in the day then quite a few places experienced cloud cover for an hour or so around 3 o clock (edit: just looked through thread and cloud started around 1 o clock) that afternoon and a bit of rain, which cooled it down slightly.  It looked like we might not get to the record but once it cleared temps started to rise even further, so most places peaked at teatime. 

To get an idea of what it was like, it really would be worth reading this thread!  I know it’s a long one but reading it will help you understand and I think Ian and WI might have posted their temps.  Go for it Steve!  

Edited by user 02 August 2019 17:20:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline Gusty  
#957 Posted : 02 August 2019 17:52:39(UTC)
Gusty

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 14,259
Man
Location: Folkestone

Originally Posted by: Caz Go to Quoted Post

 I think Ian and WI might have posted their temps.  Go for it Steve!  

I've got a couple of hours spare later... I'll give it a trawl Caz 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

Join Kent Weather on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/

Offline Stormchaser  
#958 Posted : 02 August 2019 19:00:30(UTC)
Stormchaser

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 24/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 11,748
Man
Location: West Hants

I think there was a period of 1-2 hours on the afternoon of Thu 25th when the flow not only aligned perfectly with the hottest part of N. France, during the peak of the day's heat - or close to it, but was also orientated such that it crossed close to the shortest possible stretch of water on the way over to SE England.

So it's possible that a wedge of over 40*C heat was shifted rapidly across to the far SE of England, only having time to cool into the very high 30s by the time it reached Folkestone.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email twomoderationteam@gmail.com :)

Homeland: Rural Mid-West Hants nearly 10 miles S of Salisbury (near Fordingbridge). More insights: https://twitter.com/peacockreports

2018's Homeland Extremes:

T-Max: 30.9*C 8th July | T-Min: -7.7*C 28th Feb | Wettest Day: 19.2mm 14th October | Ice Days: 4 (28 Feb - 2 Mar & 18 Mar)

Keep Calm and Forecast On

Online Hungry Tiger  
#959 Posted : 02 August 2019 20:14:04(UTC)
Hungry Tiger

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 24,753
Location: South Cambridgeshire

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser Go to Quoted Post

I think there was a period of 1-2 hours on the afternoon of Thu 25th when the flow not only aligned perfectly with the hottest part of N. France, during the peak of the day's heat - or close to it, but was also orientated such that it crossed close to the shortest possible stretch of water on the way over to SE England.

So it's possible that a wedge of over 40*C heat was shifted rapidly across to the far SE of England, only having time to cool into the very high 30s by the time it reached Folkestone.

40C is the next target in this country and I doubt it will be long before it's hit.

 

Gavin S.

TWO Moderator.

Contact the TWO team - twomoderationteam@gmail.com

South Cambridgeshire. 93metres asl.

Offline Caz  
#960 Posted : 02 August 2019 20:29:17(UTC)
Caz

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 18,146
Woman
Location: Market Warsop, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger Go to Quoted Post

 

40C is the next target in this country and I doubt it will be long before it's hit.

 

It really wouldn’t surprise me if some places did actually reach 40c, just not the places with official stations.  My sensor recorded over 39c IMBY but the nearest Met office station only got to 38.4c but I live in a small valley which would be a heat trap, so I don’t think my reading was far wrong.  I’m pretty sure there were other places that were genuinely hotter, but not officially.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Users browsing this topic
49 Pages«<46474849>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Code of conduct

× FORUM Settings Posting League USER PHOTOS Sky Eye Camera Sky Eye Live Sky Eye Gallery MODEL CHARTS Arome Arpege ECM ECM ENS GEM GEFS GFS HIRLAM Icon Met Office UM Fax CFS GFSP