Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

49 Pages«<4344454647>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline james  
#881 Posted : 29 July 2019 08:34:18(UTC)
james

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 15/11/2007(UTC)
Posts: 54
Location: Cambridge 19masl

Well this has certainly entered the local political discourse here in Cambridge this morning:

 

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Offline james  
#882 Posted : 29 July 2019 09:25:20(UTC)
james

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 15/11/2007(UTC)
Posts: 54
Location: Cambridge 19masl

Another way to help verify the BG reading is the British Antarctic Survey weather station in West Cambridge. It's located in a sheltered location surrounded by buildings (see here). However as noted in this letter to the Weather journal it was compared to the BG reading in 2003 so could provide a possibly useful comparison this time.

Offline severnside  
#883 Posted : 29 July 2019 09:39:00(UTC)
severnside

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 78
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Gloucestershire

Some interesting reading and comments in this link about the site https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2019/07/27/cambridge-botanical-too-compromised-for-climatological-purposes/

On map images it does not look like a good location for a Stevenson screen.

also this link; https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2019/07/26/met-office-claims-of-new-record-at-cambridge-look-very-dodgy/

 

 

Offline Gavin D  
#884 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:06:32(UTC)
Gavin D

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 25/06/2011(UTC)
Posts: 8,252
Man
United Kingdom

38.7c officially confirmed 

 

SHOW TWEETS

Offline Quantum  
#885 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:10:32(UTC)
Quantum

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 27/11/2009(UTC)
Posts: 15,398

Is that all of the manual/climate stations?

Any more still to come?

 

My YouTube channel: youtube.com/quantumoverlord

Finally hit 1000 subscribers after waiting patiently for 8 years! 🎈

̶B̶l̶o̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶J̶u̶s̶t̶i̶n̶ ̶W̶ ̶(̶p̶r̶e̶s̶u̶m̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶m̶a̶n̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶)̶ Nevermind

Offline Ally Pally Snowman  
#886 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:13:15(UTC)
Ally Pally Snowman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/01/2012(UTC)
Posts: 5,609
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Originally Posted by: Gavin D Go to Quoted Post

38.7c officially confirmed 

 

 

Splendid news it was a heatwave that deserved to have the all time record. 

SHOW TWEETS

Offline Retron  
#887 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:13:26(UTC)
Retron

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 23,882
Location: Leysdown-on-Sea

Originally Posted by: Gavin D Go to Quoted Post

38.7c officially confirmed 

Congratulations to Cambridge!

(And a sense of relief now, as it means the whinging / conspiracy theories against Brogdale will now cease!)

Offline RobR  
#888 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:14:38(UTC)
RobR

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 20/12/2010(UTC)
Posts: 506
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Norton Heights, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs (498 ft asl)

I'm sure all the climate worriers will be hating that stat, but fantastic news I say, it deserved a new record (and one that is slightly more North of London!)/

Winter 18/19

Days Snow Falling: 6

Days Snow Lying: 6

Deepest Snowfall: 29th Jan (3cm)

Winter 17/18

Days Snow Falling: 27

Days Snow Lying: 24

Deepest Snowfall: 18th March 2018 (10cm)

Online Arcus  
#889 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:16:51(UTC)
Arcus

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 7,310
Man
United Kingdom
Location: North Yorkshire

Just the reading from Jiries' shed to come in now.
Ben,

Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire

30m asl

It sounds like a class rant but it’s really because

I am the landlord of the pub that gets the cemetery trade

Offline Bolty  
#890 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:17:07(UTC)
Bolty

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 2,347
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Failsworth, Manchester - alt: 93m asl

Originally Posted by: RobR Go to Quoted Post

I'm sure all the climate worriers will be hating that stat, but fantastic news I say, it deserved a new record (and one that is slightly more North of London!)/

Indeed! Great to see a new record set. I'll be celebrating it, even if the "do as I say, not as I do" brigade don't like it.

Offline Saint Snow  
#891 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:25:24(UTC)
Saint Snow

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 43,624
Man
Location: St Helens

Originally Posted by: Arcus Go to Quoted Post
Just the reading from Jiries' shed to come in now.

 

Or 'Death Valley' as it's more commonly known. 

Trump on Jeffrey Epstein:

"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Martin

Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01

Offline David M Porter  
#892 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:26:06(UTC)
David M Porter

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 03/08/2006(UTC)
Posts: 17,353
Man
Location: Lenzie, Kirkintilloch, Glasgow

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 Go to Quoted Post

Its funny how the very recent heat records have been broken during the less than brilliant summers and not during the two good summers of this decade, 2013 and 2018.

 

Indeed Kevin, and just as happened in July 2015, this record that has just been confirmed occured during what was at best a transient heatwave lasting only a few days at the most. The 2003 record which has just been surpassed happened during a fortnight-long heatwave IIRC, although temperatures did drop a bit after the record was set on 10th August. Interesting too that the highest temperature recorded last year happened just before the long settled spell came to an end.

The pressure set-up we had last week was literally a carbon copy of early July 2015; a deep low which was slow-moving to the west of Ireland and an anticyclone over the continent, both of which combined to send up some exceptionally hot air over the UK for a few days. Once the July 2015 heatwave broke down, we were then stuck in an unsettled and rather cooler pattern for the rest of that month. The only two summers which were notably good overall which created any records were 2003 (then hottest day on record) and 2006 (then hottest July day on record). It is interesting that these records have now both been surpassed during what were only transient as opposed to sustained heatwaves.

Looking at the current model output though, I think it could be a while before we see temperatures anywhere near the values that we had last week again this summer, if we do at all.

Edited by user 29 July 2019 16:28:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"Sometimes what we accept as the truth may not be the full story".

Hercule Poirot (David Suchet)

Offline johncs2016  
#893 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:28:03(UTC)
johncs2016

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 5,260
Man
United Kingdom
Location: West Pilton, Edinburgh

Yes, I think that this was a record which deserved to stand.

Having said that though, I don't really see this as a reason to celebrate and if anything, I would be rather concerned about just how often these highest temperature records are being broken these days.

Whilst we can't say that any particular record being broken is down to climate change, the fact that these records are being beaten on such a regular basis means that climate change has to be playing a significant part in that. For that reason, this makes very concerned about our overall future here on this planet.

MY THREE LOCAL WEATHER STATIONS

EDINBURGH GOGARBANK (more up to date sunshine totals come from here)

Latitude: 55° 55' 40.8'' N (DMS) or 55.928° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 34.8'' W (DMS) or -3.343° (Dec)

Altitude: 57m above mean sea level

EDINBURGH AIRPORT (added as an additional backup)

Latitude: 55° 56' 53.88'' N (DMS) or 55.9483° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 40.92'' W (DMS) or -3.447° (Dec)

Altitude: 33m above mean sea level

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS, EDINBURGH (the closest station to where I live)

Latitude: 55° 58' 1.2'' N (DMS) or 55.967° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 13' 1.2'' W (DMS) or -3.2217° (Dec)

Altitude: 26m above mean sea level

Offline David M Porter  
#894 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:33:39(UTC)
David M Porter

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 03/08/2006(UTC)
Posts: 17,353
Man
Location: Lenzie, Kirkintilloch, Glasgow

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I think that this was a record which deserved to stand.

Having said that though, I don't really see this as a reason to celebrate and if anything, I would be rather concerned about just how often these highest temperature records are being broken these days.

Whilst we can't say that any particular record being broken is down to climate change, the fact that these records are being beaten on such a regular basis means that climate change has to be playing a significant part in that. For that reason, this makes very concerned about our overall future here on this planet.

I take your point John and I don't disagree. However I for one would be reticent about discussing that issue to any extent on here bearing in mind what Brian said earlier in the year. Unless, that is, I am prepared to risk getting myself banned permanently from this forum!

"Sometimes what we accept as the truth may not be the full story".

Hercule Poirot (David Suchet)

Offline Heavy Weather 2013  
#895 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:52:57(UTC)
Heavy Weather 2013

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 16/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,299
Location: Muswell Hill, North London

Wonderful news. I am so happy we secured the record!
Mark

Stratford, London

Offline RobN  
#896 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:55:39(UTC)
RobN

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 06/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,559
United Kingdom
Location: South Cambridgeshire

Originally Posted by: Retron Go to Quoted Post

 

Congratulations to Cambridge!

(And a sense of relief now, as it means the whinging / conspiracy theories against Brogdale will now cease!)

To replaced of course by the conspiracy theorists whingeing about the Cambridge University Botanic Gardens.

However, I love the way they've picked up on the fact that the nearest pub to the site is called "The Flying Pig".

Rob

Sometimes a few miles north of Cambridge on a hill in the flatlands of East Anglia 15m ASL

Other times in south east Gloucestershire near the River Thames 75m ASL.

Offline Heavy Weather 2013  
#897 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:57:47(UTC)
Heavy Weather 2013

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 16/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,299
Location: Muswell Hill, North London

Apparently we still have a few stations left to report at the end of the month.
Mark

Stratford, London

Online Col  
#898 Posted : 29 July 2019 17:03:54(UTC)
Col

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 917
Location: Bolton 160m asl

Originally Posted by: Retron Go to Quoted Post

 

Congratulations to Cambridge!

(And a sense of relief now, as it means the whinging / conspiracy theories against Brogdale will now cease!)

Unfortunately that only means that the mutterings about Cambridge Botanic Gardens will continue for the next 16 years, or until whenever the record is broken again.

Col

Bolton, Lancashire

160m asl

Snow videos:

http://www.youtube.com/c...UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg

Offline johncs2016  
#899 Posted : 29 July 2019 17:07:09(UTC)
johncs2016

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 5,260
Man
United Kingdom
Location: West Pilton, Edinburgh

Originally Posted by: David M Porter Go to Quoted Post

 

I take your point John and I don't disagree. However I for one would be reticent about discussing that issue to any extent on here bearing in mind what Brian said earlier in the year. Unless, that is, I am prepared to risk getting myself banned permanently from this forum!

Exactly, which is why I kept that point very brief although I feel that this had to be mentioned.

 

MY THREE LOCAL WEATHER STATIONS

EDINBURGH GOGARBANK (more up to date sunshine totals come from here)

Latitude: 55° 55' 40.8'' N (DMS) or 55.928° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 34.8'' W (DMS) or -3.343° (Dec)

Altitude: 57m above mean sea level

EDINBURGH AIRPORT (added as an additional backup)

Latitude: 55° 56' 53.88'' N (DMS) or 55.9483° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 40.92'' W (DMS) or -3.447° (Dec)

Altitude: 33m above mean sea level

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS, EDINBURGH (the closest station to where I live)

Latitude: 55° 58' 1.2'' N (DMS) or 55.967° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 13' 1.2'' W (DMS) or -3.2217° (Dec)

Altitude: 26m above mean sea level

Offline Caz  
#900 Posted : 29 July 2019 17:12:15(UTC)
Caz

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 18,279
Woman
Location: Market Warsop, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands

  At least that’s settled now!  Last week’s heatwave deserved to get the record, especially as so many of us experienced it!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Users browsing this topic
49 Pages«<4344454647>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Code of conduct

× FORUM Settings Posting League USER PHOTOS Sky Eye Camera Sky Eye Live Sky Eye Gallery MODEL CHARTS Arome Arpege ECM ECM ENS GEM GEFS GFS HIRLAM Icon Met Office UM Fax CFS GFSP