Heavy Weather 2013
26 July 2019 14:24:55

Surely it has to be accepted. Its an official site.

If they don't allow, surely they have have to scrap all recordings for that site backdated.

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
james
26 July 2019 14:26:17
Yes I'm pretty sure it will be accepted if they have previously deemed the site acceptable.
Heavy Weather 2013
26 July 2019 14:26:23

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

It all feels a bit of an anticlimax though. Like winning a gold medal after the winner gets disqualified for a drugs test.

I agree, it doesn't have the same buzz as yesterday.

Mark
Beckton, E London
warrenb
26 July 2019 14:27:36
Now being said this may not be the only station to be near or break the record.
Rob K
26 July 2019 14:32:23

Originally Posted by: warrenb 

Now being said this may not be the only station to be near or break the record.

There aren't any other official ones showing on WOW. There should be a manual station at Denver, Norfolk, which is probably too far northeast for the record anyway, but that's not showing up. 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
26 July 2019 14:34:01
Whatever Jiries recorded in his shed should be the official record and that's an end of it 😎😁

I'll go and tweet the Met Office when George has got back to me with his reading.
Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Tom Rance
26 July 2019 14:54:46
Turns out my local station in Little Paxton, Cambs, recorded 38.8c.

I'm going to email the met observer there to see if he might be able to submit the reading as a national record.
Tom
Cambridgeshire, Ouse Valley, 40ft AMSL.
Heavy Weather 2013
26 July 2019 15:01:16

MetOffice have released a statement saying the provisional recording wont be decided until next week.

Everything in this country is always too slow.

Mark
Beckton, E London
Essan
26 July 2019 15:05:26

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Looks like it has only moved once. If they'll accept Brogdale they'll accept anything I think. 

It all feels a bit of an anticlimax though. Like winning a gold medal after the winner gets disqualified for a drugs test.

It's not dissimilar to 2003 though - except that then, we knew the record had been broken, just not by how much until a couple of days later.

btw I find it a little reassuring that not everything is automatic, electronic, superfast wi-fi Now! Now! Now!   Be even better if it turns out the record ends up going to a site that only reports weekly or monthly (if any such still exist).   Youngsters need to learn patience.

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Essan
26 July 2019 15:11:59

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

MetOffice have released a statement saying the provisional recording wont be decided until next week.

Compared with?

It sometimes takes years!

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/wmo-verifies-3rd-and-4th-hottest-temperature-recorded-earth

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Polar Low
26 July 2019 15:43:19

wink His stuff has 20c added on before we startcool on a serious note and at a guess I would say the equipment is being calibrated to ensure it’s correct reading weather that is outsourced or in house I don’t know.

Originally Posted by: SJV 

Whatever Jiries recorded in his shed should be the official record and that's an end of it 😎😁

I'll go and tweet the Met Office when George has got back to me with his reading.

warrenb
26 July 2019 15:49:30

Classic way of dealing with a PR problem. Wait a while so the story has gone away, and then quietly release a statement.

Polar Low
26 July 2019 15:55:20

No its not a shambles Brian having been an inspector the equipment has to be calibrated we cant record data that variables are not within  acceptable limits# 

Have to be patient it all takes time.

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze 

Yes it has been a complete shambles. If a new record is declared it will be questioned relentlessly and some people will not accept it. Credibility is shot to shreds. Regardless of one's views on climate change it is obvious that temperature data should now be considered "business critical" and that implies the system must have redundancy built in and be resilient.

Heavy Weather 2013
26 July 2019 15:59:07

Originally Posted by: Polar Low 

No its not a shambles Brian having been an inspector the equipment has to be calibrated we cant record data that variables are not within  acceptable limits# 

To be fair to Brian - I think his point is why does this take a number of days. The irony here is that the MetOffice this morning were tweeting about National records being broken in the Netherlands and Belgium before they even mentioned this provisional figure.

I think our network is too old and un-reliable. If we have to verify and check the station, how are we confident that we have been recording accurate figures here before this record. The same goes for all stations. 

Mark
Beckton, E London
Polar Low
26 July 2019 16:03:17

The equipment has to be compared to a "standard" unless you have done the job and not being funny it all takes time. 

Perhaps I have been bit vague there to average folks

The equipment has to compared to a piece of equipment that is the accepted standard its fine to have small margins but these have to be within acceptable limits of the standard equipment. 

To be fair to Brian - I think his point is why does this take a number of days. The irony here is that the MetOffice this morning were tweeting about National records being broken in the Netherlands and Belgium before they even mentioned this provisional figure.

I think our network is too old and un-reliable. If we have to verify and check the station, how are we confident that we have been recording accurate figures here before this record. The same goes for all stations. 

Ally Pally Snowman
26 July 2019 16:06:25

I think the stations are fine, its the lack of speed of confirmation in this day and age is farcical. Also the twiter feed is playing catch up and looks amateur. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
26 July 2019 16:09:43

Absolutely Agree!  Why does it need to be verified if we use this equipment to report data on a daily basis?  If equipment is working correctly the data shouldn’t be suspect.  It gives little confidence at all.  

Furthermore, other countries make their data available almost instantly, yet we don’t seem to have updated our technology to enable us to do that!  Yes, it’s no doubt down to funding!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Polar Low
26 July 2019 16:11:25

no its not Tony it all takes time see my post

=Ally Pally Snowman;1130651]

I think the stations are fine, its the lack of speed of confirmation in this day and age is farcical. Also the twiter feed is playing catch up and looks amateur. 

Polar Low
26 July 2019 16:17:38

No its not we cant have any tom dick and harry weather station go into the history books without it being correctly calibrated 

As ive said now its the 3 time it takes time ive done the job trust me.

no its not Tony it all takes time see my post

=Ally Pally Snowman;1130651]

Rob K
26 July 2019 16:23:34

The equipment has to be compared to a "standard" unless you have done the job and not being funny it all takes time. 

Perhaps I have been bit vague there to average folks

The equipment has to compared to a piece of equipment that is the accepted standard its fine to have small margins but these have to be within acceptable limits of the standard equipment. 

The point is, if it is an official station shouldn't it be regularly inspected and calibrated? Or do they only care if it's a record, and the rest of the time it can be as inaccurate was we like?

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome