Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

49 Pages«<1920212223>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline doctormog  
#401 Posted : 08 August 2019 16:27:08(UTC)
doctormog

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 Go to Quoted Post

You’re just being pedantic. I stated pretty clearly that Friday will be nice once the early rain has moved away. 

Offline DEW  
#402 Posted : 09 August 2019 06:16:34(UTC)
DEW

Man

Rather cool across Europe over the next couple of weeks. Couple of brief bursts of warmth around the 14th and 18th.

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/temp4

Synoptics don't look too bad for the south, but ens have increased their rainfall predictions again today. All very mobile, so grab any windows of opportunity if out and about.

It has been observed that less snow falls here than any other place of equal extent in the kingdom, occasioned by the shelter of the hills and the warmth of the sea breezes - Alexander Hay, Guide to Chichester, 1805
Offline Bertwhistle  
#403 Posted : 09 August 2019 07:20:07(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Originally Posted by: DEW Go to Quoted Post

Rather cool across Europe over the next couple of weeks. Couple of brief bursts of warmth around the 14th and 18th.

Synoptics don't look too bad for the south, but ens have increased their rainfall predictions again today. All very mobile, so grab any windows of opportunity if out and about.

I thought that too when I looked at this morning's GFS Op and then scrolled through the ensembles. Am I imagiing it or does it look like the most southerly dipping loop of the jet is shifting east a little, with lows a few 100km further N and perhaps a little less frequent in the outlook?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline John p  
#404 Posted : 09 August 2019 07:35:16(UTC)
John p

Man

A lot of turd polishing going on in this thread.

For a summer month, with kids on holiday, the outlook is poor for most for the foreseeable.

Offline David M Porter  
#405 Posted : 09 August 2019 07:45:54(UTC)
David M Porter

Man

Originally Posted by: John p Go to Quoted Post
For a summer month, with kids on holiday, the outlook is poor for most for the foreseeable.

Agreed.

In Scotland, the kids will return to school late next week, but there doesn't look to be any improvement in the weather in the offing from the models for after they return, which has sometimes happened in the past.

I guess that it was probably a bit much to expect this summer to be as generally good as that of last year, even allowing for the poorer August last year. However this summer has never got close to last year, even with the all-time highest temperature record being beaten a couple of weeks ago.

"Sometimes what we accept as the truth may not be the full story".

Hercule Poirot (David Suchet)

Offline Bertwhistle  
#406 Posted : 09 August 2019 08:42:05(UTC)
Bertwhistle

And of course the foreseeable is not really that long.

We'll be out and about with the children; they're not interested if it's 20 or 30 degrees. In the South, the outlook has plenty of windows of dry weather in the models. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline beanoir  
#407 Posted : 09 August 2019 08:45:42(UTC)
beanoir

All time record wasn’t beaten I don’t believe...?

The summer has been very pleasant this year so far, it started early (We don’t measure summer be school holidays) which is always welcome. A period of low pressure and unsettled weather is not ideal, but we’re better getting some rain than none for weeks on end.

The forecast is not looking that bad at all for the weekend in middle England/east anglia compared to what we had been lead to expect.

Langford, Bedfordshire
Offline John p  
#408 Posted : 09 August 2019 09:20:48(UTC)
John p

Man

Originally Posted by: beanoir Go to Quoted Post

The summer has been very pleasant this year so far, it started early (We don’t measure summer be school holidays) which is always welcome. A period of low pressure and unsettled weather is not ideal, but we’re better getting some rain than none for weeks on end.

The forecast is not looking that bad at all for the weekend in middle England/east anglia compared to what we had been lead to expect.

Not looking bad, apart from the gales throughout Saturday in England.

Offline GezM  
#409 Posted : 09 August 2019 09:46:12(UTC)
GezM

Man
United Kingdom

It's looking like high pressure won't be too far from the south of England from midweek next week so it's not looking too bad down here. Much more unsettled further north though.
Living in St Albans, Herts (90m asl)

Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)

Offline Rob K  
#410 Posted : 09 August 2019 10:09:40(UTC)
Rob K

Originally Posted by: beanoir Go to Quoted Post

Not in Scotland, but I assume David was talking about the UK record.

In the south, a wet week to come next week but then possibly signs of drying out a bit in the third week of August? http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

I'm off work for two weeks from the 19th so let's hope so 

Edited by user 09 August 2019 10:11:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl.
Offline johncs2016  
#411 Posted : 09 August 2019 10:49:14(UTC)
johncs2016

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post

Not in Scotland, but I assume David was talking about the UK record.

In the south, a wet week to come next week but then possibly signs of drying out a bit in the third week of August? http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

I'm off work for two weeks from the 19th so let's hope so 

Looking back, I agree that David was probably talking about the UK record here. It is also true there were no records broken as far as Scotland as a whole is concerned. However, that doesn't mean that no local records were broken within Scotland itself and indeed, that did happen here in Edinburgh where we had our own all time highest ever temperature of 31.6°C which was recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank on that day.

However, that all seems like a distant memory now when you consider just how wet and miserable it has now become in this part of the world. Meanwhile and and back on topic, the outlook isn't looking all that much better as far as I can see, at least as far as the short term model output is concerned. The last time that I checked, there were a few glimmers of hope that we could see a bit of an improvement towards the end of the month, but that is only in the very unreliable time frame.

Regular heat spikes even in our poorest summers, and record Arctic Sea Ice Melt.

Two reasons why the human race is doomed to total extinction in the very near future, and why our time on this Earth will soon be over as our planet continues to burn up, due to sudden climate change which was man-made, and which is now running completely out of control.

Offline Downpour  
#412 Posted : 09 August 2019 15:11:59(UTC)
Downpour

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 Go to Quoted Post

You’re just being pedantic. I stated pretty clearly that Friday will be nice once the early rain has moved away. 

correct. In fact it hasn’t rained one drop here east of the meridian. It’s been very warm and unless this next system swerves 20 miles east I’ll be watering the garden yet again when I return from my very warm mountain bike ride in Epping Forest. 

Chingford

London E4

147ft

Offline Downpour  
#413 Posted : 09 August 2019 15:15:45(UTC)
Downpour

Not looking bad, apart from the gales throughout Saturday in England.

if I’d listened to the usual doom mongerors on TWO, I’d have been huddled in my woolly jumper all week. As it is, most days have been fine, warm even. Next week looks usable. All in all a decent summer regardless of the hyperbole.

Chingford

London E4

147ft

Offline Downpour  
#414 Posted : 09 August 2019 15:18:34(UTC)
Downpour

And just as I write that the sun comes back out as the latest system tracks west - again.

The only people who love this weather are the bonus-hungry c-suite at Thames Water.

Chingford

London E4

147ft

Offline DEW  
#415 Posted : 10 August 2019 06:21:38(UTC)
DEW

Man

Current depression is 985mb - and now the prospect of two separate 980mb LP, on Sun 18th and Thu 22nd (GFS 0z), cntred over the Highlands and the Hebrides respectively. For the determined optimists, the weather in the south isn't too bad in between these episodes (though Fax shows a quickly-clearing front this Wed)

ECM has a flabbier depression further S on the 18th

Edited by user 10 August 2019 06:51:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

It has been observed that less snow falls here than any other place of equal extent in the kingdom, occasioned by the shelter of the hills and the warmth of the sea breezes - Alexander Hay, Guide to Chichester, 1805
Offline Bertwhistle  
#416 Posted : 10 August 2019 12:39:26(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Some positive signals growingfor the BH weekend & ergo last week of month. Here's the GFS ENS mean max T forecast:

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline picturesareme  
#417 Posted : 10 August 2019 12:59:06(UTC)
picturesareme

Originally Posted by: DEW Go to Quoted Post

I'm sure one of these was posted back end of July claiming same thing, and yet August has started warm and at times very warm so far, and with average rainfall. I mean even today +50mph winds its still managed 21C which is within the average range.

Offline Saint Snow  
#418 Posted : 10 August 2019 13:18:50(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle Go to Quoted Post

Some positive signals growingfor the BH weekend & ergo last week of month. Here's the GFS ENS mean max T forecast:

Triffic. 

Temps in the 60s for the majority of the country.

"Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich."

Martin

Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01

Offline Stormchaser  
#419 Posted : 10 August 2019 15:10:54(UTC)
Stormchaser

Man

Originally Posted by: picturesareme Go to Quoted Post

I'm sure one of these was posted back end of July claiming same thing, and yet August has started warm and at times very warm so far, and with average rainfall. I mean even today +50mph winds its still managed 21C which is within the average range.

It doesn't help that FV3 has a widespread cool bias of 1-3*C (varies with location). Mad thing is, this was acknowledged by NOAA on its release, having been reduced but not eradicated (it used to be even more extreme in it's 'parallel' (pre-operational) form, which we saw lead to some very teasing output last winter!).

This is such a pain given that the majority of weather apps, for example, use FV3 data.

p.s. FV3 is what I now call GFS, since it had its core replaced with that of the FV3 model (its successor).

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email twomoderationteam@gmail.com :)

Homeland: Rural Mid-West Hants nearly 10 miles S of Salisbury (near Fordingbridge). More insights: https://twitter.com/peacockreports

2018's Homeland Extremes:

T-Max: 30.9*C 8th July | T-Min: -7.7*C 28th Feb | Wettest Day: 19.2mm 14th October | Ice Days: 4 (28 Feb - 2 Mar & 18 Mar)

Keep Calm and Forecast On

Offline DEW  
#420 Posted : 10 August 2019 16:33:22(UTC)
DEW

Man

Originally Posted by: picturesareme Go to Quoted Post

I remember posting one of the charts you refer to but that post was drawing attention to the really cold pool over Russia which is only now beginning to disperse, not conditions in the UK?