Ally Pally Snowman
23 July 2019 19:11:20

After a wet  weekend ECM has mid to high 20s again next Monday Tuesday in the SE and EA. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Arcus
23 July 2019 19:13:43
Very disturbed looking ECM for the weekend for eastern areas as the cold front buckles and retreats. Potentially very wet.
Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
White Meadows
23 July 2019 21:33:48

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

I think there’s a decent chance. Most models are showing 38C somewhere. iPhone app which doesn’t usually overdo things too much now saying 39C for London. 

iPhone App actually has 40 for Hove... if that happens I’ll start believing all of Ian’s posts.

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
24 July 2019 05:59:44

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Very disturbed looking ECM for the weekend for eastern areas as the cold front buckles and retreats. Potentially very wet.

Supported by WftWA on BBC last night. More generally over the next week the models arekeen on the idea of shallow LPs coming and going - but still warm so potential for thunder and heavy rain. GEFS favours the NE in this respect.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Rob K
24 July 2019 06:33:25

Originally Posted by: White Meadows 

iPhone App actually has 40 for Hove... if that happens I’ll start believing all of Ian’s posts.

Really? If I add Hove on mine it only shows 32C. 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
White Meadows
24 July 2019 08:44:57

Really? If I add Hove on mine it only shows 32C. 

Hi Rob

this morning for me it shows tomorrow 39, Friday 37, Saturday 26 for Hove 

Heavy Weather 2013
24 July 2019 08:46:06

Originally Posted by: White Meadows 

Hi Rob

this morning for me it shows tomorrow 39, Friday 37, Saturday 26 for Hove 

I think you have selected Hove in Belgium

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
warrenb
24 July 2019 08:51:37
Can we stop talking about the Weather App in the model discussion please.
mulattokid
24 July 2019 09:05:49

Originally Posted by: warrenb 

Can we stop talking about the Weather App in the model discussion please.

Is there a restriction on what sources members can use?  I was not aware of that.

Located in West London

"Everything in life is our fault, but that's not our fault!"
Anonymous friend of Quentin Crisp
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
24 July 2019 09:07:26
Looking a bit messy for the weekend and next week, compared with 24 hours ago. Hopefully things will change again as I could really do with some nice gentle ridging and pleasantly warm temperatures for the school holidays. Please not the school holiday hoodoo again.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
David M Porter
24 July 2019 09:10:35

Originally Posted by: mulattokid 

Is there a restriction on what sources members can use?  I was not aware of that.

I imagine that Brian will be able to provide a definitive answer to that question.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
David M Porter
24 July 2019 09:11:39

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Looking a bit messy for the weekend and next week, compared with 24 hours ago. Hopefully things will change again as I could really do with some nice gentle ridging and pleasantly warm temperatures for the school holidays. Please not the school holiday hoodoo again.

I reckon most of us would be happy with that kind of weather, Tim. I know I would!

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
Rob K
24 July 2019 09:38:46

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

I think you have selected Hove in Belgium

Yes, I think so too! When I selected Hove in Belgium I get 40C for tomorrow.

(Warren - surely weather apps use model data so why shouldn't they be discussed?)

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Saint Snow
24 July 2019 09:40:06

Originally Posted by: mulattokid 

There's two threads already discussing the current hot spell and temps.

This thread should be for discussing a little further ahead.

The weekend is a complex situation, and relatively tiny changes will mean the difference between a fine, dry day and several hours of drenching. I for one would like some of the resident experts to share their thoughts on this 

For now, both GFS and the MetO suggest Saturday will be wettest in the east, but this has been flip-flopping seemingly every run.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Downpour
24 July 2019 15:22:44

Originally Posted by: TimS 

the school holiday hoodoo is superstitious nonsense. The children broke up last Friday and it’s been boiling hot.

Chingford
London E4
147ft
White Meadows
24 July 2019 15:57:55

Yes, I think so too! When I selected Hove in Belgium I get 40C for tomorrow.

(Warren - surely weather apps use model data so why shouldn't they be discussed?)

Oops! Yes... somehow the old Hove must have stuck from an old search. 

The app currently shows 38 for tomorrow in London. 

Saint Snow
24 July 2019 16:20:04

Originally Posted by: Downpour 

the school holiday hoodoo is superstitious nonsense. The children broke up last Friday and it’s been boiling hot.

My youngest breaks up tomorrow evening.

It's coincidence, sure, but it's a really annoying one.

Happened in 2013, 2014, 2018 (none of 15, 16, 17 had any exceptional spells)

The fact we've not had a great August since 2003 bears out the bad luck.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Rob K
24 July 2019 16:44:56
Latest GFS 12Z run is nosing in HP again by the end of next week. Could be another pulse of heat on the way?
johncs2016
24 July 2019 16:52:42
When Gavin P. released his summer forecast for this year, he predicted that this summer would get better over time with potentially, our best August since 2003. Up until now, I would say that this is quite a fair assessment of how this summer has gone so far.

However, he also issued a caveat with this that there is always the chance that there could be a flip to La Nina in the ENSO region and if that happens, this could result in a deterioration of the overall weather pattern in this part of the world during the latter part of this summer.

The SSTs in the eastern half of the ENSO region have been getting a bit colder just recently which would seem to signal a switch to La Nina despite the fact that the SOI has been consistently negative recently and therefore, more supportive of El Nino. Furthermore, the latest model output has been increasing pointing towards a developing La Nino.

As regards to the weather in this part of the world, I am therefore wondering whether or not, this is something which the short and medium term models are now picking up on when they are going for a much cooler and more unsettled end to this month and start to August as they appear to be doing at the moment.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Super Cell
24 July 2019 17:35:43

Originally Posted by: Downpour 

There were a lot of kids who decided to wear school uniform this morning then.

I suspect the balance of schools close up today.

Farnley/Pudsey Leeds
40m asl