Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Lionel Hutz  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2019 09:33:48(UTC)
Lionel Hutz

Man
Ireland

In light of the EU proposal to bring to an end the twice annual changing of the clocks, I thought I'd post this

https://www.rte.ie/centuryireland/index.php/articles/here-comes-the-summer-daylight-saving-1916-Ireland

It's written from an Irish perspective. However, as we were part of the UK when DST was introduced, large parts of it are relevant to the UK too. An interesting feature is the way in which all local areas had their own time until the railways forced standardisation of clocks to London time(and Dublin time). Nonetheless, some areas persisted in operating both local time and Dublin time. The article contains the funny story about a man who complained that he missed a train because the clock outside a rural Irish station showed a different time(local time) to the one inside the station(Dublin time). When he complained about the discrepancy in the station having two clocks showing different times, his complaint was dismissed with the response "if they told the same time, there would be no need to have two clocks"!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0716/1063487-daylight-savings-time/

It seems that our government will oppose the EU proposal. Hopefully, the proposal requires unanimity. If so, it's dead in the water.

Edit:On checking, it seems that this can go through on a qualified majority. Hopefully, enough states oppose it. 

Edited by user 17 July 2019 10:20:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lionel Hutz

Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland

68m ASL

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your TheWeatherOutlook forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Chunky Pea  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2019 13:00:56(UTC)
Chunky Pea

Man
Ireland

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz Go to Quoted Post

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0716/1063487-daylight-savings-time/

It seems that our government will oppose the EU proposal. Hopefully, the proposal requires unanimity. If so, it's dead in the water.

Edit:On checking, it seems that this can go through on a qualified majority. Hopefully, enough states oppose it. 

"The minister has reached this conclusion following an extensive consultation that involved Government departments and the public".

"It found that people would generally favour brighter evenings in winter".

We seem to forget that the UK & Ireland (or 'Eire' as GtW would call it) are two of the most northerly countries on the planet. How much friggin' daylight do we need? God knows we have enough of it at this time of year to the point were it seems eternal. Let us enjoy our winterly and seasonal dark evenings please! 

"There are nights when the wolves fall silent and only the moon howls"

--George Carlin.

Offline Lionel Hutz  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2019 16:20:05(UTC)
Lionel Hutz

Man
Ireland

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea Go to Quoted Post

"The minister has reached this conclusion following an extensive consultation that involved Government departments and the public".

"It found that people would generally favour brighter evenings in winter".

We seem to forget that the UK & Ireland (or 'Eire' as GtW would call it) are two of the most northerly countries on the planet. How much friggin' daylight do we need? God knows we have enough of it at this time of year to the point were it seems eternal. Let us enjoy our winterly and seasonal dark evenings please! 

I agree with you totally about dark winter evenings. However, I would think that we're in a minority on that point!

Lionel Hutz

Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland

68m ASL

Offline DEW  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2019 20:45:45(UTC)
DEW

Man

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz Go to Quoted Post

I agree with you totally about dark winter evenings. However, I would think that we're in a minority on that point!

Seconded, though it's the other side of the coin that I prefer, long summer evenings.

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys
Offline Saint Snow  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2019 21:18:43(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Originally Posted by: DEW Go to Quoted Post

Seconded, though it's the other side of the coin that I prefer, long summer evenings.

I love both.

They help make the seasons (cos let's face it, all too often there's little distinction made in the bloody weather)

Trump on Jeffrey Epstein:

"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Martin

Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01