Bertwhistle
13 July 2019 16:29:25

Edged up to 23.1 in some sunny spells. Might be tops for today.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
johncs2016
13 July 2019 16:30:00

In the end, today has gone exactly as I had expected it to. This afternoon has become much brighter with more in the way of sunshine at times. As it has got brighter, it has also warmed up a bit and for a change, there has been no further additions to today's rainfall totals in this part of the world to report as it has been completely dry here.

The only surprise here is that even though this afternoon has been a lot brighter, today's sunshine totals have still been very disappointing for the time of year and so a total of just 1.8 hours of sunshine has recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 5pm this afternoon.

However, the temperatures have responded nicely to that sunshine which we have had. They have ended up being roughly on a par with what we saw during yesterday and have not yet even peaked at any of my three local stations with the exception of the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. Furthermore, today is now the fourth day in a row where the temperature has gone above 70°F at all three at all three of my local stations, although it only did so briefly at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh before dropping back slightly.

With that in mind, the temperature at 5pm this afternoon was 21.7°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 22°C at Edinburgh Airport and 20.7°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which actually makes it slightly warmer than what it was at this time yesterday.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
13 July 2019 16:33:46

Much brighter this afternoon with sunny spells. Currently sunny and 23.7c

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Tim A
13 July 2019 17:34:04
19.2c and mostly cloudy some dark clouds around but dry here so far .
Max 21.2c in some warm hazy sunshine.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Gusty
13 July 2019 19:20:40

At 1pm today it was struggling under stubborn cloud at 19c but by 2pm some sunny spells developed raising the temperature at 3pm to 22.2c meaning that 20c has now been exceeded for 18 consecutive days. The rains failed again today meaning that we have recorded just 0.4mm of drizzle in the last 3 and a half weeks.

This is turning into a decent summer. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Arcus
13 July 2019 19:33:08
Absolute deluge of rain here over past 15 minutes. Just goes to show how precipitation can fall copiously under relatively high pressure (1028 mb here) given the right circumstances (convergence of winds).
Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
13 July 2019 19:46:48
Surprising short shower here too gave about 3mm, it was supposed to stay dry today I thought.
Northern Sky
13 July 2019 20:11:29
I'm in Dubrovnik and the current conditions are an absolutely mental thunderstorm 😲
It's great and perhaps just a bit scary...
johncs2016
13 July 2019 21:41:26

Given the forecast and actual improvement in our weather over time during today, I had very much expected to see a completely sunny evening as a result. Once again, that has shown itself to be too much to ask for here, but this evening's weather has generally been OK.

There has been varying amounts of blue sky around during this evening. For most of the time though, it has been mostly cloudy with only occasional brief appearances by the Sun at times. The cloud did melt away a lot more towards sunset with a lot more in the way of late sunshine, but this came too late for any of that to actually register as any sort of recorded sunshine at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

The result of this is that a total of just 3.9 hours of sunshine was recorded for today in the end at Edinburgh Gogarbank. With the forecast for tomorrow being that much better though, I am expecting tomorrow's sunshine total to be better as a result.

Today's maximum temperature was 21.7°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 22°C at Edinburgh Airport and 21.3°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

There was then quite a sharp, sudden drop in the temperature later on as the wind suddenly switched around to come from more of the NE quarter and therefore, in from off the North Sea so that the temperature at 10pm tonight was 14.7°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 14°C at Edinburgh Airport and 14.9°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.