ballamar
23 July 2019 21:16:41
South East could catch a developing band of storms in next few hours
Bellevarde
23 July 2019 21:18:49

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

I suspect some in the SE that were not in the warning area from the MetO might see something tonight. Those developing storms are heading toward the coast Brighton to Bognor.

I was just thinking the same thing. Early days (or nights) but the exact area excluded from the warning could get hit by some nasty stuff by the looks of it based on my very unscientific method of trying to work out the possible track.

I guess they could update the warning area 'nowcast' style if they feel the need.

Arcus
23 July 2019 21:32:14

Originally Posted by: Bellevarde 

I was just thinking the same thing. Early days (or nights) but the exact area excluded from the warning could get hit by some nasty stuff by the looks of it based on my very unscientific method of trying to work out the possible track.

I guess they could update the warning area 'nowcast' style if they feel the need.

Mind, there's development on the western flank now although steering remain NNE. Portsmouth comes into the equation.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Arcus
23 July 2019 21:48:01
The outer plume showers are also showing signs of intensification over the SW and Wales, with sferics showing here now as well.
Ben,
30m asl
Gusty
23 July 2019 21:58:14

I am seeing the occasional flicker of lightning to my WSW from the cells crossing the channel 108 miles away.

Quick question ?

I've just heard a long deep booming rumble...surely thunder cannot be audible or travel that sort of distance..can it ?

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Arcus
23 July 2019 22:03:41

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

I am seeing the occasional flicker of lightning to my WSW from the cells crossing the channel 108 miles away.

Quick question ?

I've just heard a long deep booming rumble...surely thunder cannot be audible or travel that sort of distance..can it ?

Elevated storms are funny beasts - the dispersion of sound can travel long distances, or get completely muffled. I've seen intense lightning and heard no thunder at all in these situations.

Ben,
30m asl
Arcus
23 July 2019 22:07:23
Anyway it would appear the cap is being well and truly breached with destabilisation along the plume. SW England and Wales seeing electrical activity alongside the really punchy cells coming in from the Channel toward central S England.
Ben,
30m asl
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2019 22:08:01
Welsh storm and Exeter storm really getting going now.
Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Arcus
23 July 2019 22:11:41

Originally Posted by: SJV 

Welsh storm and Exeter storm really getting going now.

Wow, those east Devon storms have really gone beserk. 80 strikes/min

Ben,
30m asl
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2019 22:17:16

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Wow, those east Devon storms have really gone beserk. 80 strikes/min

Looks mighty on the radar as well. Gonna be a long night here, thank goodness for the school hols! 

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
thor22
23 July 2019 22:24:08

Originally Posted by: thor22 

One to watch

https://camsecure.co.uk/portsmouth_harbour_webcam.html

Lightning showing nicely on there now 

Rob
Marple
SE Manchester
RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2019 22:26:03

Wow - lighningmaps has just gone berserk. Not often you see that kind of action over Blighty when all other zones have faded.

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
Windy Willow
23 July 2019 22:30:21

My daughter in Plymouth just reported to me, that she's currently watching some "cool" thunder & lighning with no rain!

Her living room window has prime view over towards the sea.

119.4 m /391.7 feet asl
Sunny Dartford, NW Kent

Don't feed the Trolls!! When starved of attention they return to their dark caves or the dark recesses of bridges and will turn back to stone, silent again!
jeffbeanpole1
23 July 2019 22:30:59
Intense lightening to my SSE. Getting louder by the minute.
Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan. Wales. 15m ASL.
Arcus
23 July 2019 22:33:10
Looking at the way those storms are developing we are looking at possible line of storms linking up, with bowing segments/LEWP characteristics.
Ben,
30m asl
Chichesterweatherfan2
23 July 2019 22:36:24
Distant lightening and thunder to the south west of Chichester....presumably towards Pompey....
nsrobins
23 July 2019 22:36:38
Great view south in Portsmouth harbour towards the IOW

http://www.hmswarrior.org/webcam 

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
Chichesterweatherfan2
23 July 2019 22:40:55

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

Great view south in Portsmouth harbour towards the IOW

http://www.hmswarrior.org/webcam

thanks Neil, I wouldn’t mind being at the top of the Spinnaker tower right now!

23 July 2019 22:41:23

I can see frequent lightning flashing away to my south

RUBBERDUCK
23 July 2019 22:41:25

plymouth just took a direct hit from a small cell heading north

When at work I could be anywhere delivering fuel......