moomin75
  • moomin75
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
04 November 2010 21:55:48

Hi Mods.

Is there any chance of getting a sticky dedicated winter forecast thread for members?

I for one am in the process of producing my annual "guess", which is taking me quite a long time and a lot of work.

I would love to put it in a sticky thread that is here all winter, so people can have a look back at it to judge for themselves whether I (we) have any success or not.

As I'm off to Australia at the end of November for 4 weeks, my forecast will be ready to publish on here by 20th November.

I hope to be able to put it here in a sticky thread.

Matty H - could you do the honours (if I promise faithfully not to be an annoying misery guts this winter)!!

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Matty H
04 November 2010 21:59:52

I'll take your promise as gospel. Stray from the line and I'll ban you instantly and without warning

I will sticky this because there is nothing worse than a load of "Here's My Winter Forecast" threads

So here it is then - use this thread to post your stab in the dark guesses on what will happen this winter. Any fresh threads will be merged into this one

moomin75
  • moomin75
04 November 2010 22:13:48
Haha...don't worry Matty...I'm a changed man! (PROMISE)....
I just got a bit down in the dumps at times last year....but for what it's worth, I'm not expecting quite the same as last year, and so expecting less allows me to lower my own hopes!...To be honest, I'm like you in winter anyway....can't stand it unless it's cold and snowy!!....But as I'm off to Australia for the first month of winter, I should be happy this year!!
Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Gavin P
04 November 2010 22:15:39

My forecast for winter 2010/2011 -

It'll snow. Somewhere.

My full guess will be on December 1st.

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Sevendust
04 November 2010 22:32:44

Gavin P wrote:

My forecast for winter 2010/2011 -

It'll snow. Somewhere.

My full guess will be on December 1st.

LOL Gavin. Same here but preparatory work is underway

Matty H
04 November 2010 22:42:20

Unleash your beasts ladies and gentlemen. Only snowy forecasts allowed ok?

roger63
05 November 2010 10:09:08

I've alrady posted  a thread winter 10/11 forecast Dec-Feb CET & rainfall.This asks  for members to put figures to their forecast in terms of temp and rainfall.Do you think it is best to merge this with the Dedicated Winter10/11 Members forecast tread or keep it seperate?

roger63

Winchester

Osprey
05 November 2010 11:17:01

A copy of 1982 weather Strong easterly winds and a lot of snow

Nobody likes a smartass, especially another smartass...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Matty H
06 November 2010 09:20:30
Yes members forecasts only in here. All commercial and the forecasts are to be discussed in the winter thoughts thread please.
Robertski
06 November 2010 09:53:26

I think the pattern of mobile weather is pretty much set for the forseable, pretty much as i guessed, but lets be honest, with a La Nina event that was not hard to do. I still think as we draw toward Christmas we will see subtle but important changes in the pressure patterns. I think High pressure will be more established in the Mid Atlantic with Jet moving SE and High pressure buiding over Eastern Greenland, this will lead to more outbreaks of Colder weather after Christmas. So i am still sticking with a milder mobile set up early on with the odd colder transistory outbreaks., with colder weather becoming more frequent after Xmas

Solar Cycles
06 November 2010 10:58:39

Looks like the rest of this month is going to be fairly mobile, with just brief cold snaps, but there will be signs of Northern blocking establishing itself towards the end of this month. Into December, and those signs start to show their hand, with a blocking high in the Atlantic linking up with a Greenland high, and this will give us a similar pattern to last December. January remains cold with blocking in the Atlantic still in charge for most of the time. The second half of January will see the Atlantic take more of an hold for a week or so, with temperatures returning to normal values for most of the country. Towards the latter stages of January winds turn to the east. 

This then sets the stage for the coldest part of the winter, a huge blocking high pushing in from Siberia, with a southerly tracking jet trying to make inroads to Western areas. This is where we will see some impressive snowfall totals.

Into March, and we still have high pressure in charge, with winds coming more from the South East. Towards the second week of March the Atlantic starts to take control, with temperatures recovering to above average.

Gavin P
06 November 2010 11:01:08

Solar Cycles wrote:

Looks like the rest of this month is going to be fairly mobile, with just brief cold snaps, but there will be signs of Northern blocking establishing itself towards the end of this month. Into December, and those signs start to show their hand, with a blocking high in the Atlantic linking up with a Greenland high, and this will give us a similar pattern to last December. January remains cold with blocking in the Atlantic still in charge for most of the time. The second half of January will see the Atlantic take more of an hold for a week or so, with temperatures returning to normal values for most of the country. Towards the latter stages of January winds turn to the east. 

This then sets the stage for the coldest part of the winter, a huge blocking high pushing in from Siberia, with a southerly tracking jet trying to make inroads to Western areas. This is where we will see some impressive snowfall totals.

Into March, and we still have high pressure in charge, with winds coming more from the South East. Towards the second week of March the Atlantic starts to take control, with temperatures recovering to above average.

Well that certainly sounds an interesting winter.

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
moomin75
  • moomin75
08 November 2010 22:06:06

I agree.

I wouldn't necessarily concur with the thought that November's mobile weather bares much impact on the winter to come.

Although not old enough to remember, I believe November 1962 was quite a mobile and unsettled month.

Am looking to put the finishing touches to my winter LRF soon and will publish it here before the end of the month.

Early clues would be something of interest for most weather enthusiasts, but a different feel to winter this time compared with 2009-10 IMO.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Matty H
08 November 2010 22:11:29

This thread is for MEMBERS forecasts and the discussion of them. Please stay on topic. I'll be deleting all off topic posts

roger63
09 November 2010 09:15:32

#1 Posted : 03 November 2010 17:22:33

The Met Office will not be issuing an advance forecast for winter 10/11.Instead they will be giving a 30 day outlook at the end of the previous month.

Its Two Weather Outlook posters chance to demonstrate their skills by putting figures to their words for the winter ahead.Will we be getting three cold winters in a row?Or will the strong La Nina dash those hopes.

Using Phillip Eden's figures the monthly mean CET for Dec is 5.1,for Jan 4.2 and for Feb 4.2 giving a winter average of 4.5C.

Avearge Rainfall figures for Dec are 100.6mm,for Jan 93.8, for Feb 66.0 giving a winter total of 260.4.

To enter you have to supply your forecast winter CET,and your forecast rainfall total.Entries to be in by November 30th.

I'll kick off with winter mean CET 3.5,winter rain total 230mm.

roger63

Winchester

Essan Offline
#2 Posted : 03 November 2010 17:34:41

I've posted details of some of the main 'official' winter forecasts on W&ES News here - might be of interest to some before making their guesses

Must admit my initial thoughts are wavering a bit at present, but then, November last year was quite mild and very wet - so will winter follow the pattern?  Hmmm    I'll go for:

CET 4.1c (with a cold start but early spring)

Rainfall 210mm

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News

“Life: loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.” - Marvin

JMW Online
#3 Posted : 03 November 2010 23:11:03

Matty i suggest that the forecasting competition for the whole of winter 2010/11 is put into this thread so that members can put some figures to their forecast if they wont.Above shows the long term CET and rainfall Dec-Feb and the three entrie sto date

I go for winter mean CET 4.6C, winter rain 215mm