doctormog
29 June 2019 16:32:49

Originally Posted by: howham 

Thunder starting here now.

There have been quite a few distant rumbles here over the last half hour or so but not much more than that. It could be an interesting evening though looking at the radar and steric data:

http://map.blitzortung.org/#6.7/56.788/-2.672

Arcus
  • Arcus
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
29 June 2019 16:55:33

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

There have been quite a few distant rumbles here over the last half hour or so but not much more than that. It could be an interesting evening though looking at the radar and steric data:

http://map.blitzortung.org/#6.7/56.788/-2.672

Certainly a potent line of cells incoming Doc. Plenty of activity.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
KevBrads1
29 June 2019 16:59:28
Altocumulus castellanus passed ovehead and we got heavy drops of rain but that looks like it and considering what it could have been this week, what a huge disappointment.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
doctormog
29 June 2019 17:12:51
Low distant continuous rumbling thunder now but getting closer and louder by the minute.
johncs2016
29 June 2019 17:22:03

We have just had some more rumbles of thunder but this time, with the really heavy rain missing us to our east.

Although it is raining here just now as I write, it is remarkable how the heaviest of these downpours have managed to pass everywhere within this area, except for right over where I live.

EDIT:

We now have some really heavy torrential rain where I live here in Edinburgh (that is not quite on the scale of what we had last Monday, but this is still Monsoon-like conditions nevertheless) and in addition to that, I have also seen quite a bright flash of lightning with a really loud crack of thunder to go with that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
howham
29 June 2019 18:08:41
Two storms rattled through this evening so far. Nothing too severe but nice to see some cloud to cloud forked lightning.
howham
29 June 2019 18:40:10
Skies darkening again to the sw.
Arcus
  • Arcus
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
29 June 2019 19:10:55

You have to laugh at the radar for NI at the moment. That's a real wall, but not too much electrical activity. Meanwhile over GB, the showers/storms aligning nicely along with the plume lobes as they are destabilising, like layers from an onion.

EDIT: clearly capping still in place over N. England, nothing is getting really going

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
johncs2016
29 June 2019 19:17:19

Here in Edinburgh, the thunder, lightning and really torrential rain has gone but it remains very dark and it is still raining here.

On this occasion, it is the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which recorded the most amount of rain in a single hour during the heaviest of those downpours with 9.4 mm of rain being recorded there in just that one single hour alone between 6pm and 7pm this evening.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Norseman
29 June 2019 19:25:34
Several very heavy but brief downpours here. Thunder and lightning seems to have moved North East now.
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
29 June 2019 19:26:03

A stray rumble of thunder here from a narrow band of showers passing over. It's close here but I was very surprised to hear thunder! Strikes confirmed near Rotherham so it wasn't a wheelie bin 😂

edit: and another

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
29 June 2019 19:29:18

Originally Posted by: SJV 

A stray rumble of thunder here from a narrow band of showers passing over. It's close here but I was very surprised to hear thunder! Strikes confirmed near Rotherham so it wasn't a wheelie bin 😂

It was showing on the lightning radar so it definitely wasn’t a wheelie bin.  Something showing up around York as well. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
howham
29 June 2019 19:40:21
Still rumbling away here.