Arcus
12 June 2019 19:26:14

Originally Posted by: SJV 

What's a 'sun' ? 

I was watching Brian Cox's Planets on iPlayer today. Thought I was living on a cold version of Venus.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
12 June 2019 19:31:04

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Chuffing slugs are going mental on my plants unfortunately. Anyone got any environmentally friendly deterrent techniques? 

I put my coffee grounds around the edges of my borders. I also sprinkle ashes from the wood burner, although that’s best when the weather’s dry as it’s abrasive as well as containing salts.  Jars of beer sunk into the ground attracts them and drowns them.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
12 June 2019 19:32:40

Originally Posted by: idj20 

I've just closed the curtains as I couldn't see anything on the telly with the low evening sun shining on it.

That’s the best gloat on this thread!  

Arcus
12 June 2019 19:35:50

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I put my coffee grounds around the edges of my borders. I also sprinkle ashes from the wood burner, although that’s best when the weather’s dry as it’s abrasive as well as containing salts.  Jars of beer sunk into the ground attracts them and drowns them.  

More excellent suggestions - thanks Caz. Not sure about the beer idea - we never have any spare...

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
12 June 2019 19:54:08
Yes, the snails are having a party around here. We never seem to get slugs, just snails. But they’re on the rampage.

This week is so bleak and end of worldy it’s almost fun.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
xioni2
12 June 2019 20:20:39

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Yes, the snails are having a party around here.

How's your garlic?

Saint Snow
12 June 2019 20:32:01

Chuffing slugs are going mental on my plants unfortunately. Anyone got any environmentally friendly deterrent techniques? 

Slug pellets.

And screw the environment. For these evil, slimey slithering gonads, temporary disregard for the environment is acceptable.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
picturesareme
12 June 2019 20:43:01

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

A plus side to all the rain is it should hopefully encourage a few early season edible fungi..

Summer Bolete or Chanterelle perhaps 😊

Another plus is this rain should ensure a decent billberry crop on the Hampshire/ Surrey mountains 

idj20
12 June 2019 21:57:37

Cheers, will give it go. 

Apparently copper wire has the same effect.

Folkestone Harbour. 
KevBrads1
13 June 2019 05:08:37

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
2019 147 (up to 12th June)
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
moomin75
13 June 2019 05:44:58
Your summer index figure does not surprise me in the least Kev. We are now enduring our eighth consecutive rainy day here and everything is completely waterlogged. Those that wished for rain have your wish, but as usual in this country, it's all come at once and is completely destroying what is meant to be summer. A completely rancid horrendous start to summer and June is already a write off as far as I'm concerned. Even looking at the models, although the Ensembles on the GFS appear better, this isn't really backed up by the charts and it remains cool and changeable at best.
The Cricket World Cup is being completely decimated and everyone is getting the winter blues in my neck of the woods.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
idj20
13 June 2019 15:26:46

Originally Posted by: Caz 

That’s the best gloat on this thread!  

And since it is dry and bright at the moment, I've just opened a window to let the fresh air in as it was getting stuffy again indoors.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
13 June 2019 17:06:21
What is notable about this spell isn't the rain, it's been wet though unremarkable here and most of that has fallen during two overnight periods. Nor is it even the miserable 10.0C max recorded on Tuesday. Rather it is the lack of sun. There has been no sun here since early on Monday morning. Assuming there is none this evening that's almost 4 consecutive entirely sunless days. In June. That must be close to being unprecedented.
Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
picturesareme
13 June 2019 17:23:24

Originally Posted by: moomin75 

Your summer index figure does not surprise me in the least Kev. We are now enduring our eighth consecutive rainy day here and everything is completely waterlogged. Those that wished for rain have your wish, but as usual in this country, it's all come at once and is completely destroying what is meant to be summer. A completely rancid horrendous start to summer and June is already a write off as far as I'm concerned. Even looking at the models, although the Ensembles on the GFS appear better, this isn't really backed up by the charts and it remains cool and changeable at best.
The Cricket World Cup is being completely decimated and everyone is getting the winter blues in my neck of the woods.

Because 8 of the 92 official days of summer have had rain you think summer has been destroyed, and you've written June off because 8/30 days have had rain 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Here have a lollipop 🍭🍼

KevBrads1
13 June 2019 17:30:29

Originally Posted by: Col 

What is notable about this spell isn't the rain, it's been wet though unremarkable here and most of that has fallen during two overnight periods. Nor is it even the miserable 10.0C max recorded on Tuesday. Rather it is the lack of sun. There has been no sun here since early on Monday morning. Assuming there is none this evening that's almost 4 consecutive entirely sunless days. In June. That must be close to being unprecedented.

And here comes the sun! Sun has made an appearance and there is some blue sky.

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
richardabdn
13 June 2019 17:34:36

A staggeringly awful and breathtakingly grim week of utterly foul and suicide-inducing garbage. I have only managed to get out once at lunchtime and the evenings are just a write-off. It's as vile a week as you would ever get at any time of the year. The June permacast hell truly has excelled itself this year 

Today was the absolute limit. Stupidly cold, stupidly wet and stupidly windy. Unreal how cold it was in the office today - just like winter and everyone is sick to the back teeth of it. Once again life in this hellhole is reduced to an endurance test.

Max of just 8.8C and below 8C until after 2pm  It just doesn't get any colder than this at his time of year so yet again we see record low day temperatures achieved with ease in summer whereas it's become impossible to get anywhere near the record high, even last year. This is why this abhorrent decade will be the first since the 1960s not to reach 28C, and with an even lower absolute maximum as well 

I can see this year being so bad it struggles to even reach 23C with no sort of settled spell whatsoever. Who knows the max of 22C at Easter weekend may not be bettered resulting in 1963's woeful record low max of 22.2C getting beaten. Hasn't even topped 18C this month. It seems that you just can't set the bar too low these days

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Whether Idle
13 June 2019 17:47:22

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

A staggeringly awful and breathtakingly grim week of utterly foul and suicide-inducing garbage. I have only managed to get out once at lunchtime and the evenings are just a write-off. It's as vile a week as you would ever get at any time of the year. The June permacast hell truly has excelled itself this year 

Today was the absolute limit. Stupidly cold, stupidly wet and stupidly windy. Unreal how cold it was in the office today - just like winter and everyone is sick to the back teeth of it. Once again life in this hellhole is reduced to an endurance test.

Max of just 8.8C and below 8C until after 2pm  It just doesn't get any colder than this at his time of year so yet again we see record low day temperatures achieved with ease in summer whereas it's become impossible to get anywhere near the record high, even last year. This is why this abhorrent decade will be the first since the 1960s not to reach 28C, and with an even lower absolute maximum as well 

I can see this year being so bad it struggles to even reach 23C with no sort of settled spell whatsoever. Who knows the max of 22C at Easter weekend may not be bettered resulting in 1963's woeful record low max of 22.2C getting beaten. Hasn't even topped 18C this month. It seems that you just can't set the bar too low these days

Hang on in there Richard.

Here's something to cheer you up :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj4wcuo9Mgo

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
13 June 2019 18:42:06

Originally Posted by: Col 

Yes, the lack of sun is notable. It’s been the same here. 

The Sky has been a solid mucky shade of dark grey since Monday afternoon but today it’s been a mottled mass of different shades of grey, which made a nice change.  Then a blue crack appeared and the sun almost made an appearance before it started to rain again. 

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
13 June 2019 18:49:25

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

And here comes the sun! Sun has made an appearance and there is some blue sky.

Yes indeed. Not long after I posted that the clouds began to break and it's a reasonably sunny evening now. Perhaps I should try that one in winter  'Assuming that there are no more snow showers tonight.....'

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
KevBrads1
14 June 2019 05:40:36

Manchester Summer Indices

2019 143 (up to 13th June)
1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180