Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

32 Pages«<29303132>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Whether Idle  
#601 Posted : 27 August 2019 05:34:53(UTC)
Whether Idle

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 03/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,230
Man
Location: Dover

Originally Posted by: Retron Go to Quoted Post

After two utterly awful, useless for doing anything outsifde* days, let's see if today's MetO forecast is as cruddy as the last few.

IMBY, it says:

Today
25° 19°
Sunny.

That's actually warmer than at this time on Saturday and Sunday, both of which ended up being revised, during the day, to 29C. I'd bet the same happens today.

All I can say is thank God today's the last day of this insufferable heatwave... it took my little portable aircon all night to get the temperature down to 23C, such is the amount of heat stored up in this house. I can't even have the windows open this morning as I'll be at work... it's going to be an absolute inferno in here tonight!

* - unless you do it at 7 AM, as I did, but there's only so much chopping and pruning you can do without making a racket. Even the wolf centre had to abort their wolf walk on Sunday as the wolves refused to go any further!

I was on Sheppey yesterday.  Arrived midday at Warden Bay.  Pleasant walk assisted by a breeze to the fossil beach, where many fossils including a fossil shark's tooth was found.  After that, to the arcades at Leysdown (very busy), we headed to Shellness (not the nudist bit!) and then kayaked around the corners towards the Isle of Harty and back.  This was the first time Ive ever not felt I needed at least a t shirt on top, so lovely and warm it was on the Swale!

With model watching its as much about remembering to forget things as it is forgetting to remember.
Offline Retron  
#602 Posted : 27 August 2019 06:17:23(UTC)
Retron

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 23,882
Location: Leysdown-on-Sea

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle Go to Quoted Post

I was on Sheppey yesterday.  Arrived midday at Warden Bay.  Pleasant walk assisted by a breeze to the fossil beach, where many fossils including a fossil shark's tooth was found.  After that, to the arcades at Leysdown (very busy), we headed to Shellness (not the nudist bit!) and then kayaked around the corners towards the Isle of Harty and back.  This was the first time Ive ever not felt I needed at least a t shirt on top, so lovely and warm it was on the Swale!

Yup, as I said - too hot to be outdoors [unless you're a lizard/tourist/a bit mad/sun-addled/one of those people who can't stand aircon at 21C as it's "cold" - forgot that part].

I, meanwhile, was in the garden to start with and then retreated indoors. First to the games room / posh shed (which being in the shade stays cooler for longer), then in the house (where it stayed below 25C until, oh, midday or so). There was the unusual sight, though, of cars in a traffic jam crawling past the end of my road... I was glad I didn't go anywhere.

Incidentally, for me at least, the areas you mention are at their best on a cold, sunny winter's day. They're also pretty much deserted, which is much more pleasurable than doing the "penguin walk" because there are so many people!

 

 

 

 

Edited by user 27 August 2019 06:22:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Col  
#603 Posted : 27 August 2019 07:04:09(UTC)
Col

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 914
Location: Bolton 160m asl

Originally Posted by: Retron Go to Quoted Post

After two utterly awful, useless for doing anything outsifde* days, let's see if today's MetO forecast is as cruddy as the last few.

IMBY, it says:

Today
25° 19°
Sunny.

That's actually warmer than at this time on Saturday and Sunday, both of which ended up being revised, during the day, to 29C. I'd bet the same happens today.

All I can say is thank God today's the last day of this insufferable heatwave... it took my little portable aircon all night to get the temperature down to 23C, such is the amount of heat stored up in this house. I can't even have the windows open this morning as I'll be at work... it's going to be an absolute inferno in here tonight!

* - unless you do it at 7 AM, as I did, but there's only so much chopping and pruning you can do without making a racket. Even the wolf centre had to abort their wolf walk on Sunday as the wolves refused to go any further!

The irony is of course that the very aircon you use in order to keep cool will contribute to global warming and make it even hotter in the future, so you'll need even more aircon which will make it hotter still........ But I'll stop right there :)

Col

Bolton, Lancashire

160m asl

Snow videos:

http://www.youtube.com/c...UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg

Offline KevBrads1  
#604 Posted : 27 August 2019 07:22:04(UTC)
KevBrads1

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 17/03/2012(UTC)
Posts: 28,573
Location: Irlam

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
1952 198
2000 198
1930 199
1974 199
1979 199
2019 199 (up to 26th August) 

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site

http://www.youtube.com/c...z2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists

Offline idj20  
#605 Posted : 27 August 2019 08:51:48(UTC)
idj20

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 26,836
Man
Location: Folkestone (near the coast)

Right now I would give my molten left nipple for a sub 10 c night. Last night I found myself sleeping on the foot end of my bed so that I can be nearer to the window and was on top of the blanket as overnight temps didn't fall any lower than 19.3 c at 6.30 am.

The good news is that tonight should be the last truly sticky night for a while - possibly for this year but I still won't be breaking out the high tog duvet just yet.

Offline Retron  
#606 Posted : 27 August 2019 16:11:29(UTC)
Retron

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 23,882
Location: Leysdown-on-Sea

Originally Posted by: Col Go to Quoted Post

The irony is of course that the very aircon you use in order to keep cool will contribute to global warming and make it even hotter in the future, so you'll need even more aircon which will make it hotter still........ But I'll stop right there :)

I do, at least, have a 100% renewable electricty tariff - every little helps! For every unit I use, they gaurantee a renewable unit is put into the grid (as of course at any given time the electricity on the grid is from a mixture of sources). And by gum I need that aircon - it was 31.7C upstairs half an hour ago and not much cooler outside.

It's fascinating, though, as back in the 80s a day reaching 30 would have been headline news (and being near the coast here, it seldom got close to it). These days 30 is commonplace and 35 seems to be the new 30!

At least today should be the end of it, for this year at least. A steamy night to come, and not due to anything dodgy!

 

Originally Posted by: idj20 Go to Quoted Post

Right now I would give my molten left nipple for a sub 10 c night

Ohhh... sub 10C, with that slight "nip in the air" feeling... leading to wrapping oneself in a snuggly duvet. Gorgeous and a million times better than the crud we're enduring at the moment.

The only good thing of this is that the heat fans at work were moaning today about it being too hot to sleep properly! I could barely surpress my grin as I uttered the time-honoured words, "but I thought you liked the heat?"

(And a note to those "up north", who rarely get this sort of sustained heat: no matter how good you think it sounds, it really isn't. I daresay the same would be true of endless snow in winter, but I guess if you rarely get something you crave it. Snow in my case, heat for others - albeit down here there's always plenty every year!)

EDIT: And my thought this morning turned out correct - yet again a ninja-increase in the max, reflecting a pretty woeful performance by UKV.

Today

29° 19°

 

(That's the Met Office forecast for today for here).

Edited by user 27 August 2019 17:33:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Online Brian Gaze  
#607 Posted : 27 August 2019 17:55:57(UTC)
Brian Gaze

Rank: Administration

Joined: 04/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 46,491

Originally Posted by: Retron Go to Quoted Post

The only good thing of this is that the heat fans at work were moaning today about it being too hot to sleep properly! I could barely surpress my grin as I uttered the time-honoured words, "but I thought you liked the heat?"

It has been particularly oppressive today IMO as I mentioned in another thread. Therefore I am close to agreeing with you even though I enjoy hot weather.

Brian Gaze

Berkhamsted

TWO Buzz - get the latest news and views

"I'm not socialist, I know that. I don't believe in sharing my money." - Gary Numan

Offline LeedsLad123  
#608 Posted : 27 August 2019 18:57:47(UTC)
LeedsLad123

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 06/11/2010(UTC)
Posts: 6,693
Man
Location: Leeds

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze Go to Quoted Post

 

It has been particularly oppressive today IMO as I mentioned in another thread. Therefore I am close to agreeing with you even though I enjoy hot weather.

Today was more humid and very still so it felt more oppressive.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Offline KevBrads1  
#609 Posted : 28 August 2019 06:35:27(UTC)
KevBrads1

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 17/03/2012(UTC)
Posts: 28,573
Location: Irlam

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
1952 198
2000 198
1930 199
1974 199
1979 199
1918 200
1944 200
2002 200
2019 200 (up to 27th August)
1951 201 

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site

http://www.youtube.com/c...z2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists

Offline Frank H  
#610 Posted : 28 August 2019 12:12:40(UTC)
Frank H

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 01/01/2014(UTC)
Posts: 124
Location: Wrightington, Wigan

 

Despite the recent warm and sunny weather , haven't seen as many wasps as I would expect at this time of year

Offline GezM  
#611 Posted : 28 August 2019 14:08:08(UTC)
GezM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 18/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 717
Man
United Kingdom

Looking at Kev's summer index, I don't remember 2002 being a good summer. Perhaps it was better up north? 

Living in St Albans, Herts (90m asl)

Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)

Offline andy-manc  
#612 Posted : 28 August 2019 14:42:29(UTC)
andy-manc

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/07/2013(UTC)
Posts: 246
Location: Lowton, nr Warrington

Originally Posted by: Frank H Go to Quoted Post

 

Despite the recent warm and sunny weather , haven't seen as many wasps as I would expect at this time of year

I'm the opposite. I've seen loads this August!

In terms of weather, normal service for this summer is resumed today. Dull, wet and miserable

Edited by user 28 August 2019 14:43:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline idj20  
#613 Posted : 28 August 2019 14:43:03(UTC)
idj20

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 26,836
Man
Location: Folkestone (near the coast)

As the temperature & humidity drop away with a freshening breeze and the sun gone behind cloud . . .

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Offline lanky  
#614 Posted : 28 August 2019 15:01:57(UTC)
lanky

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,530
Man

Originally Posted by: GezM Go to Quoted Post

Looking at Kev's summer index, I don't remember 2002 being a good summer. Perhaps it was better up north? 

The Met Office (CEDA) now have daily rainfall data going back to 1891 (was 1961) in 1km grid squares along with monthly and seasonal sunshine totals and average maximum temperatures going back to 1929 and 1884 respectively. Sunshine data for London after 1900 is available elsewhere so it is possible to use the exact same formula that Kevin uses to get a London version of the Manchester Index going back to 1900 (including the rain days for a 0.2mm or more threshold)

Year    London_Index
1912    195
1956    203
1954    204
1927    207
1922    211
1910    211
1968    213
1946    216
1916    216
1920    217
1965    218
1909    218
1902    218
1931    219
1907    220
1958    221
1987    222
1977    223
1948    226
1963    226
1985    227
1988    227
1936    229
1944    229
1924    230
1903    231
1978    232
2012    233
1980    233
2007    234
1960    235
1913    236
1982    239
1971    240
1945    240
1939    241
1953    241
1979    242
2008    242
1974    243
1915    244
1992    246
1972    247
1918    247
1917    247
2011    248
1966    248
1926    248
1962    249
1919    250
1998    251
1943    251
1905    251
1981    252
1986    252
1942    255
1930    255
1941    256
1914    256
1991    256
1938    256
1957    257
2019    258 ===> up to 27 Aug 2019
1964    259
2009    259
2002    262
2000    263
1997    263
2016    265
1950    266
1908    267
1961    268
1951    269
1932    269
1925    269
2015    269
1928    270
1923    270
1937    270
1993    271
1970    272
2010    273
1969    275
2017    276
1929    277
1900    278
1952    279
1967    281
1999    282
2004    283
1947    285
1973    288
2014    289
1935    290
1940    290
1934    290
2005    293
1955    293
1904    293
2001    295
1901    296
1984    300
2013    301
1990    301
1994    304
1906    305
1996    306
1921    308
2006    312
1959    314
2003    314
1933    314
1983    316
1975    316
1949    316
1989    330
2018    333
1911    335
1995    336
1976    362

The generally higher maxima down here mean the "average" values are a fair bit higher than for Manchester

 

 

Martin

Richmond, Surrey

Offline johncs2016  
#615 Posted : 28 August 2019 15:03:40(UTC)
johncs2016

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 5,257
Man
United Kingdom
Location: West Pilton, Edinburgh

Originally Posted by: andy-manc Go to Quoted Post

 

I'm the opposite. I've seen loads this August!

In terms of weather, normal service for this summer is resumed today. Dull, wet and miserable

Normal service has returned here in Edinburgh as well, but not because we're getting any rain.

In fact, part of the reason why normal service has been resumed here is because we're not getting any rain here even though the vast majority of the UK has been getting some rain during today at some point in time.

In other words, Edinburgh has returned to its more typical status of being the most boring part of the UK when it comes to our weather with all of the more interesting weather occurring elsewhere.

For here, we're getting very little rain, but lots of cloud and very little sunshine and it can't really get any more boring than that.

 

MY THREE LOCAL WEATHER STATIONS

EDINBURGH GOGARBANK (more up to date sunshine totals come from here)

Latitude: 55° 55' 40.8'' N (DMS) or 55.928° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 34.8'' W (DMS) or -3.343° (Dec)

Altitude: 57m above mean sea level

EDINBURGH AIRPORT (added as an additional backup)

Latitude: 55° 56' 53.88'' N (DMS) or 55.9483° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 40.92'' W (DMS) or -3.447° (Dec)

Altitude: 33m above mean sea level

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS, EDINBURGH (the closest station to where I live)

Latitude: 55° 58' 1.2'' N (DMS) or 55.967° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 13' 1.2'' W (DMS) or -3.2217° (Dec)

Altitude: 26m above mean sea level

Offline Bolty  
#616 Posted : 28 August 2019 20:58:38(UTC)
Bolty

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 2,344
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Failsworth, Manchester - alt: 93m asl

I know summer is nearing its end because the birch trees are now dropping those horrible little seeds that get stuck in your socks and all in the carpets. I hate having to hoover up every 2 days!
Offline richardabdn  
#617 Posted : 29 August 2019 22:28:54(UTC)
richardabdn

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,524
Location: Aberdeen

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 Go to Quoted Post

 

Normal service has returned here in Edinburgh as well, but not because we're getting any rain.

In fact, part of the reason why normal service has been resumed here is because we're not getting any rain here even though the vast majority of the UK has been getting some rain during today at some point in time.

In other words, Edinburgh has returned to its more typical status of being the most boring part of the UK when it comes to our weather with all of the more interesting weather occurring elsewhere.

For here, we're getting very little rain, but lots of cloud and very little sunshine and it can't really get any more boring than that.

 

I'm glad it didn't rain in Edinburgh yesterday as I was there with work and just as I had finished the sun came out and I was able to enjoy a good walk before I had to head back on the train. Aberdeen missed out on the rain as well and was also mostly cloudy with 4.9 hours sun.

Edinburgh has had plenty of thunderstorms this summer and exceeded 31C. A sharp contrast to the utter tedium endured here. I can never remember anything so relentlessly unsettled yet added up to so little. Just dire drizzle and light rain showers almost every day. About the only part of the country not to record a single noteworthy high temperature the entire year when even Baltasound managed an exceptional (for their location) 23.4C in July.

I doubt there has been anywhere else in the country that has had to suffer the relentless bland and unextreme tripe that we've been served up for the last six years. Constantly missing out on anything exciting or interesting even the snow that we always used to get. Life in a weather vaccuum is what it feels like 

Edited by user 29 August 2019 22:30:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2010s - The Worst Decade for Warmth (or any other type of extreme)

Decadal High Temperatures at Dyce:

1950s: 28.9C, 7th June 1950

1960s: 27.4C, 14th July 1969

1970s: 28.4C, 25th August 1976

1980s: 28.0C, 14th July 1986

1990s: 29.7C, 21st August 1995

2000s: 29.8C, 17th July 2006

2010s: 27.2C, 22nd July 2018

Offline richardabdn  
#618 Posted : 29 August 2019 22:37:56(UTC)
richardabdn

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,524
Location: Aberdeen

Originally Posted by: GezM Go to Quoted Post

Looking at Kev's summer index, I don't remember 2002 being a good summer. Perhaps it was better up north? 

Utter garbage up here like nearly all summers in the last 20 years. 

Spent a few days in SE England either side of a holiday in Slovenia and the weather was crap there as well. Friday 5th July 2002 was a real miserable washout day in London. 

2010s - The Worst Decade for Warmth (or any other type of extreme)

Decadal High Temperatures at Dyce:

1950s: 28.9C, 7th June 1950

1960s: 27.4C, 14th July 1969

1970s: 28.4C, 25th August 1976

1980s: 28.0C, 14th July 1986

1990s: 29.7C, 21st August 1995

2000s: 29.8C, 17th July 2006

2010s: 27.2C, 22nd July 2018

Offline LeedsLad123  
#619 Posted : 29 August 2019 23:51:24(UTC)
LeedsLad123

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 06/11/2010(UTC)
Posts: 6,693
Man
Location: Leeds

Summer 2002 was pretty average here temperature-wise, but wet. August was the best month and it reached 30.2C on the 17th.
Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Offline johncs2016  
#620 Posted : 30 August 2019 04:00:05(UTC)
johncs2016

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 5,257
Man
United Kingdom
Location: West Pilton, Edinburgh

Originally Posted by: richardabdn Go to Quoted Post

 

I'm glad it didn't rain in Edinburgh yesterday as I was there with work and just as I had finished the sun came out and I was able to enjoy a good walk before I had to head back on the train. Aberdeen missed out on the rain as well and was also mostly cloudy with 4.9 hours sun.

Edinburgh has had plenty of thunderstorms this summer and exceeded 31C. A sharp contrast to the utter tedium endured here. I can never remember anything so relentlessly unsettled yet added up to so little. Just dire drizzle and light rain showers almost every day. About the only part of the country not to record a single noteworthy high temperature the entire year when even Baltasound managed an exceptional (for their location) 23.4C in July.

I doubt there has been anywhere else in the country that has had to suffer the relentless bland and unextreme tripe that we've been served up for the last six years. Constantly missing out on anything exciting or interesting even the snow that we always used to get. Life in a weather vaccuum is what it feels like 

That was a spell of unusually "interesting" weather for here though. Normally, our weather here in Edinburgh isn't all that interesting and the last few days in particular, have really showed us that.

I will also add that when 31°C was exceeded here in Edinburgh, that wasn't actually the case right across Edinburgh. It is true that the temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank reached 31.6°C on that day and it is that reading which confirmed that Edinburgh had its hottest day on record on that day.

Where I live here in the north of Edinburgh, that was also quite a hot day. However, there was also a slight breeze from off the North Sea which meant that it wasn't as hot here in the north of Edinburgh as it was slightly further inland at locations such as Edinburgh Gogarbank.

That was shown by the fact that the temperature on that day, only reached 26.6°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh (as confirmed as the true maximum temperature on that day on that station's website, whereas the highest hourly reading on that day was only 26.1°C at that same station) which although still quite hot for here, was a whole 5.0°C cooler than what it was at Edinburgh Gogarbank on that same day.

That is quite a significant temperature difference for within what is more or less, the same local area which was enough to ensure that I myself, never actually got to experience those really high temperatures where I live here in the north of Edinburgh.

This is just the opposite thing from what happened quite a lot during the winter of 2012/13 when under an easterly wind, there was quite a lot of deep snow just a little bit further inland from here whilst there was very little in the way of lying snow here in the north of Edinburgh due to our close proximity to the east coast and the fact that those easterly winds from off the North Sea were that bit milder here as a result, than what they were further inland.

 

Edited by user 30 August 2019 04:14:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MY THREE LOCAL WEATHER STATIONS

EDINBURGH GOGARBANK (more up to date sunshine totals come from here)

Latitude: 55° 55' 40.8'' N (DMS) or 55.928° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 34.8'' W (DMS) or -3.343° (Dec)

Altitude: 57m above mean sea level

EDINBURGH AIRPORT (added as an additional backup)

Latitude: 55° 56' 53.88'' N (DMS) or 55.9483° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 40.92'' W (DMS) or -3.447° (Dec)

Altitude: 33m above mean sea level

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS, EDINBURGH (the closest station to where I live)

Latitude: 55° 58' 1.2'' N (DMS) or 55.967° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 13' 1.2'' W (DMS) or -3.2217° (Dec)

Altitude: 26m above mean sea level

Users browsing this topic
32 Pages«<29303132>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Code of conduct

× FORUM Settings Posting League USER PHOTOS Sky Eye Camera Sky Eye Live Sky Eye Gallery MODEL CHARTS Arome Arpege ECM ECM ENS GEM GEFS GFS HIRLAM Icon Met Office UM Fax CFS GFSP