Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johncs2016  
#21 Posted : 08 June 2019 13:16:27(UTC)
johncs2016

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 6,325
Man
United Kingdom
Location: West Pilton, Edinburgh

My tactic of going for a really warm value hasn't worked for me recently, so I have gone for a much cooler value this time.

Given the manner in which this month is panning out at the moment though, I have a feeling that even my latest much cooler guess might be too high this time.

I know that this isn't the moaning thread, but it is just like the thing that this is happening just now during this complete non-event which is known as our "summer", otherwise I'm sure that everything would probably be coming out much warmer than what it is just now, especially if we were in our winter just now.

 

Edited by user 08 June 2019 13:20:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Located in the north of Edinburgh where very little in the way of actual weather ever happens, compared to elsewhere within the rest of the UK.

Offline Caz  
#22 Posted : 08 June 2019 16:45:33(UTC)
Caz

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 20,486
Woman
Location: Market Warsop, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands

Originally Posted by: Col Go to Quoted Post

 

I'm not sure what the problem is here. You publish analysis that suggests the CET may be this that or the other, then complain when people take that advice and post their predictions accordingly??

Anyhow from what I recall of the predictions so far this year they have been pretty wide. June does look pretty tight though but I suspect that's just a one off. You will notice that I'm seriously at the bottom of the pile there, no just going with the averages for me!

Still, it's your competition and you can run it how you want. However if this gets too 'heavy' and descends into arguments over rules then I'm out of here, can't be arsed with all that.

Col, I can assure you that this thread never descends into arguments.  It’s a fun and light hearted competition with friendly banter. GW has always run it in a fair manner and puts a lot of time and effort into it. I am more than happy to go along with any rule changes he suggests as I trust him to do what’s best. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline Gusty  
#23 Posted : 08 June 2019 19:40:33(UTC)
Gusty

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 14,581
Man
Location: Folkestone

Originally Posted by: Col Go to Quoted Post

Still, it's your competition and you can run it how you want. However if this gets too 'heavy' and descends into arguments over rules then I'm out of here, can't be arsed with all that.

You'd be cutting your nose off to spite your face if you did that Col. You're in a good position.

I support the changes GW. A good move IMO 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue

https://www.wunderground...m/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11

Join Kent Weather on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/

Offline Darren S  
#24 Posted : 08 June 2019 19:49:25(UTC)
Darren S

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 11,778
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Arborfield, Berks

I support GW's rule change too. To be honest I thought it a bit strange that he was effectively almost recommending what your guess should be; I think it's better if everyone figures it out themselves, whether that be by pattern matching, model watching or finger in the air! 

Darren

Arborfield, Berks (61m asl) New weather website

Winter Snow Depth Totals:

2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm

Offline Bertwhistle  
#25 Posted : 08 June 2019 19:57:23(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 20/11/2015(UTC)
Posts: 6,147
Location: Central Southern England

Totally agree with all the above comments. Actually, I don't really mind what GW's rules are- I'll play by them because it's a really enjoyable  part of each month and it doesn't cost me a short cross penny. And Col- you're good at this- lead us on!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline Col  
#26 Posted : 09 June 2019 05:30:36(UTC)
Col

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,137
Location: Bolton 160m asl

I take GWs notes as guidance that's all. Just information in order to help you pick a figure. Let's face it beyond 1-2 weeks out you're pretty much on your own anyway. A lot of work must go into producing all that and I'm sure it is appreciated so it will be a shame to see it go.
Col

Bolton, Lancashire

160m asl

Snow videos:

http://www.youtube.com/c...UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg

Offline Bertwhistle  
#27 Posted : 09 June 2019 08:25:40(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 20/11/2015(UTC)
Posts: 6,147
Location: Central Southern England

Some recovery expected after next weekend, with 3 of the 4 CET stations expecting average daily temps around 17 and even Squires Gate expecting around 16. Would need to be maintained beyond there to offset the cooler stuff in the week ahead by very much. Love to hear any predictions based on the current outputs for where the CET might stand around,say, two weeks from now. Fools errand to think it would be accurate at that range I know, but someone might be willing to stick out their neck to within half a degree...a degree? If it's about 14 now, I think by then we'll still only have made it to about 14.3. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline Caz  
#28 Posted : 09 June 2019 09:46:34(UTC)
Caz

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 20,486
Woman
Location: Market Warsop, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands

Originally Posted by: Col Go to Quoted Post
I take GWs notes as guidance that's all. Just information in order to help you pick a figure. Let's face it beyond 1-2 weeks out you're pretty much on your own anyway. A lot of work must go into producing all that and I'm sure it is appreciated so it will be a shame to see it go.
I always take into account the averages of previous years and have to admit I’d be totally lost without that information.  I also like the projected CET charts that GW provides throughout the month and are never far off the mark.

You’re right though, it must take a lot of time and effort to produce all the information GW provides and whether people use it or not, I’m sure it is very much appreciated by all.  It is after all, just a forecast according to the MO and depends on that being correct at the time.  But, maybe omitting it is a way of reducing the enormous workload that must go into this thread.  

As others have said, you’re good at this!  

 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline ARTzeman  
#29 Posted : 09 June 2019 10:03:06(UTC)
ARTzeman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 27,213
Man
Location: Peasedown St John. N.E. Sommerset

Met Office Hadley        13.8c.       Anomaly       0.5c. Provisional to 8th.

Metcheck                     13.89c       Anomaly      -0.26c

Netweather                  14.47c       Anomaly      0.38c

Mean of My 10 Watched Stations    14.08c.   Difference   -1.25c. 

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

I Just Blow my horn

Offline Col  
#30 Posted : 09 June 2019 16:07:16(UTC)
Col

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,137
Location: Bolton 160m asl

Originally Posted by: Caz Go to Quoted Post

I always take into account the averages of previous years and have to admit I’d be totally lost without that information.  I also like the projected CET charts that GW provides throughout the month and are never far off the mark.

You’re right though, it must take a lot of time and effort to produce all the information GW provides and whether people use it or not, I’m sure it is very much appreciated by all.  It is after all, just a forecast according to the MO and depends on that being correct at the time.  But, maybe omitting it is a way of reducing the enormous workload that must go into this thread.  

As others have said, you’re good at this!  

 

Good, or just got lucky? I have actually made CET predictions since August last year and none of those were particularly good. It was quite fortuitous that I hit form in January as joint winner.

That said it's looking good for me at the moment for June. I went for one of the lowest predictions at 14.4C and we are well below that now. With a lot more cool weather on the way even much warmer weather in the last week (which needs to happen because I am on holiday then) probably won't bring the average up too much.

Col

Bolton, Lancashire

160m asl

Snow videos:

http://www.youtube.com/c...UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg

Offline Whether Idle  
#31 Posted : 09 June 2019 16:37:16(UTC)
Whether Idle

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 03/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,518
Man
Location: Dover

Re Rule Changes:

 

A great move GW.  This will make things much more interesting and restore "the edge", which any truly great competition requires. 

Thanks from me.


WI

The Johnson Government had a choice on whether to tackle the virus hard- or let it spread- they've shown they care more for their money than they do for the health and the safety of the British People.
Offline Caz  
#32 Posted : 09 June 2019 16:53:12(UTC)
Caz

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 20,486
Woman
Location: Market Warsop, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands

Originally Posted by: Col Go to Quoted Post

 

Good, or just got lucky? I have actually made CET predictions since August last year and none of those were particularly good. It was quite fortuitous that I hit form in January as joint winner.

That said it's looking good for me at the moment for June. I went for one of the lowest predictions at 14.4C and we are well below that now. With a lot more cool weather on the way even much warmer weather in the last week (which needs to happen because I am on holiday then) probably won't bring the average up too much.

I seem to remember coming top of the pile one January and I think that was as joint leader.  In my case that was sheer luck and it didn’t last long!  Now I’d be happy to be in the top half!  

Long may yours last!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline ARTzeman  
#33 Posted : 10 June 2019 11:50:27(UTC)
ARTzeman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 27,213
Man
Location: Peasedown St John. N.E. Sommerset

Met Office Hadley          13.7c.      Anomaly     0.2c. Provisional to 9th.

Metcheck                       13.81c     Anomaly     -0.34c

Netweather                    14.31c     Anomaly    0.2c.

My 10 stations                13.93c.    Difference  -1.4c. 

  

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

I Just Blow my horn

Offline Stormchaser  
#34 Posted : 11 June 2019 11:08:51(UTC)
Stormchaser

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 24/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 11,859
Man
Location: West Hants

ECM and GFS have trended apart for Mon-Thu next week; ECM really turning up the thermostat while GFS keeps things fresh.

Loose CET estimates to 20th are 13.7*C using raw ECM but just 13.0*C using raw GFS.

Following that up with the seasonably warm GFS 00z days 11-16 gives an estimate to 26th of 14.4*C when appended to the ECM and 13.9*C when it's all GFS. Not at the quality of GW's estimates, mind!

 

Based on the tropical cycle, though, I can see reasons to expect higher temps in the 11-16 day range - but without as much stability to the high pressure, sadly (unless you enjoy storms even when you don't need the rain; could be some destabilising heat plume situations).

Mid-14s to mid-15s seems the most probable range for the final CET unless the tropical cycle stops short, which has been seen to happen on a couple of occasions in the past few years!

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email twomoderationteam@gmail.com :)

Homeland: Rural Mid-West Hants nearly 10 miles S of Salisbury (near Fordingbridge). More insights: https://twitter.com/peacockreports

2018's Homeland Extremes:

T-Max: 30.9*C 8th July | T-Min: -7.7*C 28th Feb | Wettest Day: 19.2mm 14th October | Ice Days: 4 (28 Feb - 2 Mar & 18 Mar)

Keep Calm and Forecast On

Offline ARTzeman  
#35 Posted : 11 June 2019 12:30:35(UTC)
ARTzeman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 27,213
Man
Location: Peasedown St John. N.E. Sommerset

Met Office Hadley          13.4c.       Anomaly     -0.1c. Provisional to 10th.

Metcheck                       13.53c       Anomaly      -0.1c

Netweather                    14.0c         Anomaly      -0.11c

My 10 Stations              13.92c.     Anomaly       -1.41c.  

Edited by user 12 June 2019 08:54:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

I Just Blow my horn

Offline johncs2016  
#36 Posted : 11 June 2019 14:55:48(UTC)
johncs2016

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 6,325
Man
United Kingdom
Location: West Pilton, Edinburgh

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman Go to Quoted Post

Met Office Hadley          13.4c.       Anomaly     -0.1c. Provisional to 10th.

Metcheck                       13.53c       Anomaly      -0.1c

Netweather                    14.0c         Anomaly      -0.11c

My 10 Stations              12.92c.     Anomaly       -2.41c.  

Yet more evidence here, of the fact that we're not exactly having much of a "summer" at the moment.

For me, one of the components which make up a decent summer is that it should be warmer than average overall, just as it was at this time last year when the temperature was getting up to above 30°C even in large parts of Scotland.

This means that it starts going colder than average as it has now just done, that then tells us that we're not having much of a summer.

Of course, the very time when we actually want it to be colder than average is during the winter (at least, from the perspective of those cold weather lovers who like to see a lot of snow during the winter), yet that is just something which never seems to happen these days at that particular time of the year.

 

Edited by user 11 June 2019 15:19:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Located in the north of Edinburgh where very little in the way of actual weather ever happens, compared to elsewhere within the rest of the UK.

Offline Bertwhistle  
#37 Posted : 11 June 2019 17:55:05(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 20/11/2015(UTC)
Posts: 6,147
Location: Central Southern England

A note of encouragement: first 10 days of June 1975, average CET: 13.67

First ten days of 1995, 12.40 (and as far as 15th only 12.12!)

First 10 days of June 1990 12.34 (and only 12.21 to 15th).

Best of all, first 10 days of 1989 only 10.35.

Now, those of you who know these Junes and their following summers will understand all too well how not only summer can turn around, but June itself too. June 1975 is the odd one out here, as it had already switched paradigm by 10th. But 1989 and 1990 in particular are worthy of note- they kept getting colder to mid month. 

Apart from 1990 these Junes ended comfortably above 14. Of greater interest were the summers generally, with August starting hot.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline springsunshine  
#38 Posted : 11 June 2019 18:04:18(UTC)
springsunshine

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/11/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,420
Location: Bournemouth

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 Go to Quoted Post

 

Yet more evidence here, of the fact that we're not exactly having much of a "summer" at the moment.

For me, one of the components which make up a decent summer is that it should be warmer than average overall, just as it was at this time last year when the temperature was getting up to above 30°C even in large parts of Scotland.

This means that it starts going colder than average as it has now just done, that then tells us that we're not having much of a summer.

Of course, the very time when we actually want it to be colder than average is during the winter (at least, from the perspective of those cold weather lovers who like to see a lot of snow during the winter), yet that is just something which never seems to happen these days at that particular time of the year.

 

Agree with your post there Johncs.Down here it has been ridiculously cold for June,at the moment it is just 10c ,we seem to have gone from spring to autumn. What a difference a year makes!! The omens don1t look good and this `summer` could very well be a genuinely cold one something similar to 2011.

Offline Caz  
#39 Posted : 11 June 2019 18:06:00(UTC)
Caz

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 20,486
Woman
Location: Market Warsop, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands

Sounds good to me Bertie. We needed this rain here as the garden really was parched, so although I’m not particularly enjoying it, I’m pleased we have it.  It isn’t quite summer yet according to the calendar.  Anyway, I think we’re due a good August! 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline TimS  
#40 Posted : 11 June 2019 18:08:03(UTC)
TimS

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/04/2010(UTC)
Posts: 9,792
Location: Brockley

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle Go to Quoted Post

A note of encouragement: first 10 days of June 1975, average CET: 13.67

First ten days of 1995, 12.40 (and as far as 15th only 12.12!)

First 10 days of June 1990 12.34 (and only 12.21 to 15th).

Best of all, first 10 days of 1989 only 10.35.

Now, those of you who know these Junes and their following summers will understand all too well how not only summer can turn around, but June itself too. June 1975 is the odd one out here, as it had already switched paradigm by 10th. But 1989 and 1990 in particular are worthy of note- they kept getting colder to mid month. 

Apart from 1990 these Junes ended comfortably above 14. Of greater interest were the summers generally, with August starting hot.

Thank you for that heart warming reassurance. I needed that.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Users browsing this topic
Similar Topics
June UK Temperature analysis and discussion (Weather)
by Global Warming 31/05/2020 10:05:07(UTC)
7 Pages<1234>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Code of conduct

× FORUM Settings Posting League USER PHOTOS Sky Eye Camera Sky Eye Live Sky Eye Gallery MODEL CHARTS Arome Arpege ECM ECM ENS GEM GEFS GFS HIRLAM Icon Met Office UM Fax CFS GFSP