Some lightning too now
Harpenden, Herts.
johncs2016
08 May 2019 12:59:11

Originally Posted by: DeeDee 

Started a new thread, couldn’t find old one

very acvtive thunderstorm here atm with constant thunder, torrential rain

The original thread is here.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
KevBrads1
10 May 2019 21:20:27
Loud crash of thunder this afternoon

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
KevBrads1
11 May 2019 10:55:49

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

Loud crash of thunder this afternoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SuPbSuOcQk

I spotted something odd going on at around 2.15 or 13.15 on time stamp. Someone on another site made the comment "look at the rotation at 2.16" No idea what was going on. Any of the convection experts got any ideas?

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
KevBrads1
11 May 2019 21:14:00
Convection got going with one or two showers but it cleared during afternoon

picturesareme
18 May 2019 13:27:12

looks like a conversion line trying to form running from west London down towards Dorset - there's been a recent heavy downpour around the new forest area.

picturesareme
18 May 2019 16:57:33
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
19 May 2019 11:54:38

Just an observation.

I was near Cranborne in Dorset yesterday having seen the BBC forecast which showed quite an area of showery rain over that part of Dorset in the afternoon. Not really wanting it as I was outdoors at the time, I went anyway not expecting much. However bang on time the clouds thickened and rain set in for a couple of hours before clearing a way after about 6.45pm.

On the way home, Wimborne had had quite a deluge judging from the puddles but back home no rain at all just as the BBC graphics had indicated on a local scale for that time.

Today the forecast shows showers but this time more over the Dorchester area and north for this time of day than the Wimborne/Cranborne area and as I type this a fast forming shower is dumping whilst not a deluge noticeable rain over my current location near Dorchester. Nothing though it seems in the area where I was yesterday according to the rain radar which ties in to the time shown on the graphics earlier.

What I am thinking is how at times the forecasting accuracy can be pretty accurate for a given quite local discrete even location compared to say 20 years ago.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
19 May 2019 14:13:23

I’m surprised there are no lightning reports on here today.  The sky here is looking quite thundery at the moment with the temp at 17c but it is still dry. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
19 May 2019 15:42:23

We have a yellow warning of rain until 20:00 in Peasedown area. But nothing is happening here.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
19 May 2019 16:09:27

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Today the forecast shows showers but this time more over the Dorchester area and north for this time of day than the Wimborne/Cranborne area and as I type this a fast forming shower is dumping whilst not a deluge noticeable rain over my current location near Dorchester. Nothing though it seems in the area where I was yesterday according to the rain radar which ties in to the time shown on the graphics earlier.

Flooding on Dorchester bypass according to radio

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Roger Parsons
19 May 2019 16:18:34

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

We have a yellow warning of rain until 20:00 in Peasedown area. But nothing is happening here.

Almost too good to be true, ART.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
19 May 2019 16:37:49
DEW that would have been the rapidly developing shower that passed over us earlier. Often flooding in heavy rain at the Monkeys Jump roundabout because they can't seem to sort out the drains there.
Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
19 May 2019 18:30:08

Well, we got absolutely nothing here and the sky is clear again! 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
21 May 2019 06:00:17

Heavy but very local shower over Worthing yesterday afternoon, so I'm told. You'd never have guessed it here, 15 miles away.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Zubzero
27 May 2019 21:55:35

Nice storm in Cambridge heavy rain and some decent mostly CC Lightning 

KevBrads1
28 May 2019 21:29:58
Nice line of convection to my west earlier this morning

Arcus
31 May 2019 19:54:29

The promise for storms on Sunday in advance of the cold front is not what it looked like being earlier in the week (natch), but there's still some potential (albeit brief) from the trough ahead of the CF:

On the front itself I'd expect heavy rain, with the possibility of a bit of thundery stuff. Ahead of this the risk looks highest pretty much as you see the trough in that fax. 

Usual caveats - timing and degree of insolation ahead of front.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl