johncs2016
01 May 2019 05:11:45

Now that we have just gone into the final month of the meteorological spring, this is the month which will determine whether this spring as a whole goes down as being drier than average or wetter than average.

So far, this month has been completely dry here so far so according to the data which I have, a total of at least 32.1 mm of rain needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank during this month in order for this spring to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts with a total of at least 30.6 mm needing to fall during this month at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh in order for the same outcome to occur there.

In addition to that though, at least 11 official rain days need to occur during this month at Edinburgh Gogarbank in order for this spring to be wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days whereas only at least 6 official rain days need to occur at the botanic gardens during this month in Edinburgh in order for the same outcome to occur there.

The latest model output suggests that there will be some unsettled spells at times during this month which means that this isn't likely to be an exceptional dry month (such as what we had at this time last year) if that is correct. However, the models do still point to there still being enough high pressure around for this month to go down as being a little bit drier than average overall. If that happens, this spring will then be considered as being a rather average spring overall in terms of the actual rainfall amount at least across both of those stations.

As usual though, there are likely to be large variations even at a fairly local level right across the UK as some places within a locality might not get certain thunderstorms (as an example) which somewhere else which is very close by will be getting and as we approach the summer months, this contrast is likely to come to the fore even more over time.

With that in mind and regardless of how the overall rainfall patterns for this month in your own local area turn out, this is the very thread for reporting that as the month goes on.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
03 May 2019 08:13:11
In the end, a total of 1.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

However, today has been completely dry so far at both of those stations as at 8am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 1.4 mm, the total for this spring so far to 120.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 151.2 mm as at 9am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 1.0 mm, the total for this spring so far to 111.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 142.4 mm as at 9am this morning.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
03 May 2019 08:56:32

A measly 0.3mm for starters.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Northern Sky
03 May 2019 18:47:09

Just 3mm so far this month. I expect there will be places nearby with significantly more but we seem to have missed out on the very heavy showers that have been around.

johncs2016
04 May 2019 06:21:51

In the end, a total of 0.8 mm of rain fell during yesterday Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 1.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

However, today has been completely dry so far at both of those stations as at 7am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 2.2 mm, the total for this spring so far to 121.2 mm and the total for this year so far to 152.0 mm as at 7am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 2.0 mm, the total for this spring so far to 112.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 143.4 mm as at 7am this morning.

ARTzeman
04 May 2019 10:36:06

0.3 mm Today.

0.6 mm This Month.

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
05 May 2019 11:12:09

1.5mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
06 May 2019 13:03:02
A total of 2.6 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 1pm this afternoon, along with 2.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 4.8 mm, the total for this spring so far to 123.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 154.6 mm as at 1pm this afternoon.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 4.6 mm, the total for this spring so far to 115.2 mm and the total for this year so far to 146.0 mm as at 1pm this afternoon.

Northern Sky
06 May 2019 18:13:33

8mm so far today. Which takes us up to 11mm so far this month. 

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
07 May 2019 08:01:00

Not expecting much rain tomorrow (seems to move through quite fast) in Dorset and then it's back to high pressure again and another cool northerly shot over the weekend?

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
ARTzeman
08 May 2019 10:03:40

5.9mm To Date

Others just get wet.
Northern Sky
08 May 2019 15:49:10

9mm so far today. 22mm this month.

I'm rounding up to the nearest mm 

richardabdn
08 May 2019 19:33:02

Rain every single day of this awful month which has amounted to a whopping 13.2mm 

Where on earth has such a grim and boring climate that it can rain every day and amount to such a paltry total

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
johncs2016
09 May 2019 08:20:18

In the end, a total of 10.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 6.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that that, a total of 1.2 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 9am this morning along with 0.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The rainfall amounts here in Edinburgh was very variable over those two days, mainly due to some local torrential downpours during last night and according to the data from SEPA, the highest rainfall total in Edinburgh from that event was 20.2 mm over the last two days with that being recorded at a small station at Murrayburn which is in the Wester Hailes area in SW Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 16.4 mm, the total for this spring so far to 135.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 166.2 mm as at 9am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 12.2 mm, the total for this spring so far to 122.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 153.6 mm as at 9am this morning.

There may well be some further additions to those above totals over the next few days, although this is likely to be mainly due to showers and the outlook beyond that is actually quite a dry one as high pressure is being being predicted to build in again next week. Because of that, the omens just now are pointing towards this month being yet another drier than average month overall which might well not be enough for this spring to then go down as what would then actually be our first wetter than average season overall since the spring of 2018 at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh and since the summer of 2017 at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

ARTzeman
09 May 2019 11:46:33

9.29 mm  This Month.

Others just get wet.
Northern Sky
09 May 2019 15:58:06

8mm since yesterday. 30mm for the month so far. 

ARTzeman
10 May 2019 10:10:43

12.0 mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
11 May 2019 04:48:53

In the end, a total of 6.8 mm of rain fell during yesterday Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 10.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh where yesterday was the wettest day of this month so far as a result.

In addition to that that, Edinburgh Gogarbank has been completely dry so far today as at 5am this morning, but a total of 0.2 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 5am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 24.6 mm, the total for this spring so far to 143.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 174.4 mm as at 5am this morning.

This means that a total of just at least another 7.5 mm of rain now needs to fall at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this spring to go down as being wetter than average overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts at that particular station.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 23.2 mm, the total for this spring so far to 133.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 164.6 mm as at 5am this morning.

This means that a total of just at least another 7.4 mm of rain now needs to fall at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh between now and the end of this month in order for this spring to go down as being wetter than average overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts at that particular station.

Furthermore, just two or more official rain days need to occur between now and the end of this month in order for this spring to go down as being wetter than average overall in terms of the number of official rain days at that particular station.

We are only about a third of the way through this month but at both Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, there has already been more rain during this month than what there was during the whole of this same month during last year.

That means that this month will not be going down as being as dry as what May 2018 was at either of those two stations regardless of what happens between now and the end of the month. Furthermore, the outlook might not necessarily end up being as dry as what the models were recently predicting with any build of high pressure now being pushed further north by the models, thus providing us with what now appears to be an easterly dominated outlook (rather than a dry one) as a result.

Tim A
11 May 2019 07:38:43
31mm to date here .
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

ARTzeman
11 May 2019 11:22:12

12.3mm   To Date.

Others just get wet.