Stormchaser
28 April 2019 21:22:42

Thanks as always for your captivating stat-dives GW 

I see I might do pretty well for the CET error this month, but to be honest that'll be due to a less warm than anticipated final third cancelling out a less cool than indicated (by modelling and teleconnections) middle-third, so it seems it was simply my turn to net a bit of luck.

Just plugged in the GFS 12z numbers for the first half of May out of interest.

A sharp downward dive early on due to the Arctic incursion, with a couple of nights reaching freezing or close to it very widely, and May (the) 4th (be with you) struggling to make double digits despite plenty of sun (suspicious much...?!), bottoming the CET out at just 7.6*C as of 5th. 

Then a steady climb as some near-average temperatures occur, as part of a cyclonic spell of weather. CET reaches the high 8s by 10th.

Then, some warmer than average conditions arrive from the southeast, and the CET is approaching the mid-10s as of 14th. A respectable recovery from that unusually chilly start. 

So uh... no clear indications for an overall temp anomaly for May's first half. How helpful .

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
29 April 2019 06:03:30

Thank you GW.  An early Spring break in Whitby wouldn’t be a bad thing then and I see Sheffield didn’t do too badly during March either.  

SC, looks like I got lucky this month too!  I suppose it has to be our turn eventually and I have a lot of catching up to do.  May is looking difficult and I can’t bring myself to put much faith in the models at the moment!   

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
29 April 2019 12:28:14

No update from Met Office Hadley

Metcheck       8.72c.      Anomaly     0.70c.

Netweather    9.36c.      Anomaly     1.27c.

mean of My 10  9.87c.  Difference 0.62c.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
30 April 2019 08:01:36
It will end on 7.0C (-0.5C) here.
Global Warming
30 April 2019 20:32:02

Hadley is very quiet at the moment so there might be a delay in releasing the final official data for the month. 

My calculations have a final figure of 9.03C for April. So 1C above the 1971-2000 mean and 0.5C above the 1981-2010 mean.

A cool final 6 days of the month scuppered my prediction. 

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Saint Snow
01 May 2019 12:18:27

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

My calculations have a final figure of 9.03C for April. So 1C above the 1971-2000 mean and 0.5C above the 1981-2010 mean.

A cool final 6 days of the month scuppered my prediction. 

If it does turn out to be 9.03c, then a cool final 6 days of the month rescued my prediction 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
ARTzeman
01 May 2019 13:35:31

For the end of April.

Metcheck                8.79c.   Anomaly     0.79c

Netweather             9.41c.   Anomaly     1.32c 

Maen of my 10 stations     9.93c.  Difference  0.68c.  Using a 6 - Year Average. 

Others just get wet.
richardabdn
01 May 2019 18:53:31

Finished on 7.9(+0.7C) here solely due to the relentless horrific mild cloudy nights. Daytime temperatures were suppressed for the most part though the two days exceeding 20C helped mask how bad it was. These two days added 0.7C onto the max but it still wasn't enough to exceed the average, coming in at equal to average 10.9C despite only 11 days being warmer than average compared to 18 colder than average.

Temperatures bear testimony to the abnormal and extreme amount of wind from the vile SE quarter (yet again). Kinloss on the Moray Firth, which is sheltered from the filth, has an long term average max of only 0.7C higher than here but recorded a mean max some 3.5C higher this month at 14.4C. This was higher than just about all stations in Northern England and the Midlands as well as some in Southern England showing how ridiculous the synoptics were

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Global Warming
01 May 2019 19:09:34

Hadley has published final data to the 27th of April so we are missing 3 days. As at the 27th the Hadley CET mean was 9.01C compared to my estimate of 8.95C at the same time. That would suggest the final number is likely to be close to 9.1C.

ARTzeman
01 May 2019 20:16:45
Seems to be a good number. All eyes on the posts tomorrow....

Others just get wet.
scillydave
02 May 2019 18:05:08
I could live with 9.1c 😉
Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
02 May 2019 18:10:30

Originally Posted by: scillydave 

I could live with 9.1c 😉

I wouldn’t do too badly from that either!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
02 May 2019 18:13:12

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Finished on 7.9(+0.7C) here solely due to the relentless horrific mild cloudy nights. Daytime temperatures were suppressed for the most part though the two days exceeding 20C helped mask how bad it was. These two days added 0.7C onto the max but it still wasn't enough to exceed the average, coming in at equal to average 10.9C despite only 11 days being warmer than average compared to 18 colder than average.

Only you could manage to put a negative spin on two 20C+ days in Aberdeen in April, which surely can't happen all that often.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
02 May 2019 18:19:28

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I wouldn’t do too badly from that either!  

Likewise. I think I would probably be in top spot for the year so far if it got that low.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Global Warming
04 May 2019 15:37:55

Still nothing from Hadley. Either they are on strike or the person responsible has gone on holiday and left no cover!

I will publish the final April numbers once Hadley can be bothered to make them available.

johncs2016
04 May 2019 16:21:56

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Still nothing from Hadley. Either they are on strike or the person responsible has gone on holiday and left no cover!

I will publish the final April numbers once Hadley can be bothered to make them available.

As I mentioned in this month's thread, the final CET figure for any given month is usually always published by Hadley before the Met Office in general releases its various maps ans statistics for the whole of the UK for that month (or season if we have just entered into a new season), so it is very strange that this hasn't been the case on this occasion.

Of course, this will keep in suspense for that bit longer than normal when it comes to the final outcomes for the April competition as we would normally have known by now, who had won any given previous month's competition.

Nevertheless, I'm sure that for at least one member, that wait will be more than worthwhile in the end.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Bertwhistle
05 May 2019 07:58:07

Still no Hadley from April, but has anyone got an insight into 28th-30th from the 3 key CET stations?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Gavin P
05 May 2019 08:51:12

I think it'll be Tuesday before Hadley updates the CET now.

Suspect GW will be there or there-abous at 9.0 or 9.1

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Bertwhistle
05 May 2019 09:11:28

Originally Posted by: Gavin P 

I think it'll be Tuesday before Hadley updates the CET now.

Suspect GW will be there or there-abous at 9.0 or 9.1

Thanks Gav; not a complete disaster for me- about .3 or .4 out- but could have been better!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Global Warming
05 May 2019 12:34:28

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Still no Hadley from April, but has anyone got an insight into 28th-30th from the 3 key CET stations?

My calculations are 9.52C for the 28th, 9.39C for the 29th and 10.22C for the 30th.

Add those to the official figures for 1st - 27th and you get 9.08C as a final figure.