johncs2016
17 March 2019 00:40:58

First of all, I would like to wish all of you with an Irish persuasion a very happy St. Patrick's Day (I'm not Irish of course, but the Republic of Ireland is one of the few countries outside of the UK which I have visited in the past).

Anyway, the skies are now much clearer after yesterday's completely sunless washout of a day but although it's nowhere near as windy as what it has been recently, there is still enough of a wind around to prevent the temperatures from dropping at the moment.

In the end, a total of 16.8 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank with some of that falling as snow during the morning, along with 18.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. That makes yesterday the wettest day of this year so far at both of those stations.

Meanwhile, the temperature at midnight was 2.3°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 2°C at Edinburgh Airport and 2.2°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which means that the temperature has barely changed at all since my last report here at 8pm yesterday evening, a whole 4 hours ago.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
17 March 2019 05:33:25

Less blustery than of late with light showers. 2.9c. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
17 March 2019 06:45:46

Sunny Intervals. No Rain. Moderate Breeze. 3·0c. 🌕

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
17 March 2019 07:25:45

Sunny.

3.7c

1002.7mb rising

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
Snow Hoper
17 March 2019 07:35:37

Bright sunshine 5.1C.

Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.
marco 79
17 March 2019 08:36:16
Early sunny skies...mod to fresh W breeze...4.2c...1001mb
Max yesterday 11.3c
Overnight Min 2.1c
Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
johncs2016
17 March 2019 08:48:31

It's all become rather boring here once again.

There's been the odd sunny spell and a total of half an hour of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8am this morning.

However, there is also a lot of cloud around with nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather actually happening.

There's not even been much of a change in the temperature to make things very interesting, so last night's overnight minimum temperature was 1.8°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 1°C at Edinburgh Airport and 1.7°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 8am this morning was 2.8°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 2°C at Edinburgh Airport and 3.2°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
richardabdn
17 March 2019 09:27:40

After yesterdays vile rain and snow which struggled to lie it's back to the same tedious wind and sun that has been the staple of this dire coma-inducing month.

Failed to drop below freezing last night yet again due to the toxic wind with yesterday afternoon, at +0.6C, being colder than both preceeding and subsequent nights 

5.0C and horribly windy at present. Thought this month's temperature range from -2.2C to +11.5C must be on a par with a record low for March but who could forget the unmitigated horror of 1996 with its relentless easterlies, 15 consecutive sunless days and range from only -1C to +10C 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
schmee
17 March 2019 09:42:12
7c windy sunny periods.
Observations from around GUILDFORD in SURREY and now Nottingham
bradders
17 March 2019 10:10:45

After yesterday`s deluge with a final total of 36.0mm , it`s part cloudy with occasional showers this morning.

Temp 7.0C

Overnight low 4.1C

Rain 1.4mm

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
17 March 2019 11:03:11

Broken low cloud (possibly classified as cumulus) with plenty of breaks showing blue sky and plenty of sunny spells in between; light WNW wind, dry.

8.6*C after a minimum of 4.3*C at 6.45am.

1003.3mb rising.

It's a lovely spring day.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Gray-Wolf
17 March 2019 12:00:46

What a difference a day makes!!!

Broken cloud , odd soft hail 'showerlette' and occasional gusts.

Some DRY on the floor ( better than FLOOD!).

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
DeeDee
17 March 2019 12:09:06

Fast moving large clouds in a blue sky 

a sleety shower an hour ago 

+8.1c

Harpenden, Herts.
idj20
17 March 2019 12:21:28

Bright with sparkling sunny spells and bubbly cumulus. While it is "mild" at 10.5 c, it was the 56% h that felt chilly in the moderate NW breeze. Gorgeous when in direct sunshine but cold when in the shade. Should get some decent solar input into my famed west-facing hobby room this afternoon, though (assuming it doesn't get too cloudy).

Folkestone Harbour. 
johncs2016
17 March 2019 12:36:27

There's still a lot of cloud around but also some fairly decent sunny spells at times, so a total of 2.6 hours of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 12 noon.

However, the wind has picked up a bit once again and was gusting up to 33.6mph from the west at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 12 noon.

It is a bit warmer today than what it was yesterday although there is still quite a decent covering of snow on the Pentland Hills to my south, and an even more substantial covering of snow on the hills to my north in the distance.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 12 noon was 7.3°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 7°C at Edinburgh Airport and 8.1°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
17 March 2019 14:51:45

Had quite a heavy but brief hail shower just before lunch, and looking at the way the showers are appearing and growing on the rainfall radar, I guess the atmosphere must be fairly unstable.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Surrey John
17 March 2019 16:06:20
Just had a couple on intense hail showers, managed to measure some hailstones and many were 9-12mm

Biggest hail I have seen for ages in SW London

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
35m ASL
picturesareme
17 March 2019 16:09:40
earlier wintery showers with a mix of rain, hail, and even snow flakes.
johncs2016
17 March 2019 16:38:55

This afternoon has been mostly cloudy with almost constant grey skies and although it has got a bit brighter again just recently, a total of just 3.0 hours of sunshine has now been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 4pm this afternoon.

It also looks as though there has been the odd shower of rain in the vicinity as well. That is something which I haven't really noticed and everything still looks bone dry here with no rainfall at all being recorded for today so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 4pm this afternoon.

However, a total of 0.4 mm of rain has now been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 4pm this afternoon which is probably due to that nearby shower of rain, and this means that our increasingly long wait for our first completely dry day of both this month and this spring at both of those stations goes on.

Today's maximum temperature was 8.2°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 9°C at Edinburgh Airport and 9.3°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 4pm this afternoon was 7.6°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 8°C at Edinburgh Airport and 8.0°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Surrey John
17 March 2019 16:40:56
Walking the dog in Richmond Park (Ham gate area) and hail is still here 30 mins after shower.

Found some 15mm hailstones still lying on ground which shows the intensity of the hailstorm

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
35m ASL