AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
16 March 2019 18:25:56

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Tonight's rain and stronger winds should do a good job in keeping the Saturday night nightclub revellers at bay come closing time.

I hadn't picked up from the forecast that it was going to get even windier tonight.  The wind is certainly blowing very noticeably outside at the moment.  Local measurement gives gusts up to 30mph, but I think the wind speed measurement is in a slightly sheltered place.  My nearest station reporting on xcweather at Biggin Hill gives windspeeds from 28-47mph.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
bradders
16 March 2019 18:33:27

Well the rain seems to have stopped (temporarily ?) after 35.3mm.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
schmee
16 March 2019 18:57:29
8c very windy with drizzle.
Observations from around GUILDFORD in SURREY and now Nottingham
idj20
16 March 2019 19:29:49

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

I hadn't picked up from the forecast that it was going to get even windier tonight.  The wind is certainly blowing very noticeably outside at the moment.  Local measurement gives gusts up to 30mph, but I think the wind speed measurement is in a slightly sheltered place.  My nearest station reporting on xcweather at Biggin Hill gives windspeeds from 28-47mph.

Just think it might get squally-like for a short time as the cold front passes over Kent just before midnight.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Foghorn
16 March 2019 19:58:41
Roller - coaster of a day in North Northumberland. Rain died out for much of the afternoon and it brightened up a bit but with strong west wind. Temp hit 11.1C at 3.30 - all snow gone except high peaks but distant Scottish hills (Lammermuirs) looked very white at 2pm. Cold front came through around 5pm, heavy shower, dark skies, squally wind and temp back down from 9C to 3C. Cloudy and windy now, 2.5C. 17.5mm rainfall, so March total up to 82mm, 170% of average already, only 2 dry days.
johncs2016
16 March 2019 20:48:52

The rain from earlier on has now cleared away, but there is still some residual cloud cover left behind for now.

The end result of this is that in the end, nothing in the way of sunshine was recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank which means that today will now go down as the second completely sunless day of both this month and this spring at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

At the same time, today's rainfall totals have now increased to 16.8 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 18.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 8pm this evening, although that should now be just about today's final totals in the end.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 8pm this evening was 2.6°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 3°C at Edinburgh Airport and 2.5°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
idj20
17 March 2019 00:02:03

Folkestone rain delfector at maximum strength with only . . . 0.8 mm in the past 24 hours.    The rain belt actually broke up the moment it touched this end of Kent.

Has been windy all day but I was mostly sheltered by the built up hilly part to my south west.

Can even make out the gap on this 11.45 pm run . . .

Folkestone Harbour.