Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

19 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Caz  
#301 Posted : 15 April 2020 03:50:22(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post

Black Waterbirds, Caz? I expect you would know coot, moorhen and cormorant.

The black-ish wildfowl shown here are unlikely to be in your neck of the woods... Any thoughts?

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/ducks-geese-and-swans/

Could they be a domestic duck or goose spp? Don't think so, but....

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/taxonomy/term/19210?page=1

More clues needed...

Roger

Bigger than coots and moorhens, we have eider ducks and crested ducks too but the strangers were bigger.  There were three of them sitting quite happily on the grass, I thought they were geese but hubby says ducks.   I’ll look for them again today.  

Oddly, we have three swans this year as well.  We usually only have one pair that raise their young, which fly off later in the year but I wonder if perhaps one stuck around.  Our resident pen is still sitting on the beautifully built nest, with the cob patrolling close by.  The other seems to be sitting on a rough nest, perhaps it’s a young apprentice but it doesn’t seem to have a mate. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline llamedos  
#302 Posted : 15 April 2020 07:02:20(UTC)
llamedos

Man

Originally Posted by: Caz Go to Quoted Post

On our afternoon walk around the river, we saw some different birds sat on the grass around the mill pond. They were all black, bigger than the mallards but smaller than the swans and had long necks. I thought they looked like geese but hubby thought not.  We can’t find them in our British wildlife book.   Any ideas?

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

"Life with the Lions"

Offline Caz  
#303 Posted : 15 April 2020 07:05:43(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Originally Posted by: llamedos Go to Quoted Post

But they had feathers!  

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline Roger Parsons  
#304 Posted : 15 April 2020 07:25:53(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

But they had feathers!  

And black feathers at that!

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Online NMA  
#305 Posted : 15 April 2020 11:29:20(UTC)
NMA

Man

No idea on the long necked blackbirds Caz but a day ago the first house martins appeared in this part of Dorset. No swallows as of this morning but I remember on the coast when they have just crossed the Channel they are not at all afraid of people and if anything they come very close for whatever reason only they seem to know. Years ago when I was in my first job at a reservoir near Yeovil a swallow ended up in the water. It was bedraggled and unable to fly so the warden put in in his hat for the night leaving it in the office before releasing it the next morning by throwing it up into the air.

Nick

Offline Caz  
#306 Posted : 15 April 2020 19:24:47(UTC)
Caz

Woman

That’s a lovely story Nick!  

I didn’t get out for a walk today, but hubby took the river route on his early morning run and he didn’t see the black water birds. Hopefully, we’ll get the walk tomorrow and I’ll take photos. 

Offline Roger Parsons  
#307 Posted : 15 April 2020 20:25:46(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

That’s a lovely story Nick!  

I didn’t get out for a walk today, but hubby took the river route on his early morning run and he didn’t see the black water birds. Hopefully, we’ll get the walk tomorrow and I’ll take photos. 

Googling gently to myself....

Glossy Ibis.....?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-28841072

Brent Goose....

https://www.lincstrust.org.uk/wildlife-explorer/birds/waterfowl/brent-goose

White-fronted Goose...

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/white-fronted-goose/

That enough black waterbirds....

Roger

RogerP

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Offline Caz  
#308 Posted : 16 April 2020 05:02:45(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Not an Ibis, bill too long.  I thought maybe a Brent goose but hubby says not.  So it remains a mystery for now at least but I hope to see them again and get a better look.  

The problem is, when I go walking with hubby it’s more a route march than a stroll, which I don’t usually mind as it’s good exercise!  But if I stop to look at something for very long, I have to run to catch him up!  

Offline Roger Parsons  
#309 Posted : 16 April 2020 05:29:20(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Not an Ibis, bill too long.  I thought maybe a Brent goose but hubby says not.  So it remains a mystery for now at least but I hope to see them again and get a better look.  

The problem is, when I go walking with hubby it’s more a route march than a stroll, which I don’t usually mind as it’s good exercise!  But if I stop to look at something for very long, I have to run to catch him up!  

...on another species, Caz - Lincolnshire is being visited by lots of Ring Ouzels this week, I have had many reports. Some are sure to come your way, so maybe on one of your walks you'll get lucky.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/ring-ouzel/

Roger

RogerP

Offline KevBrads1  
#310 Posted : 17 April 2020 05:19:38(UTC)
KevBrads1

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX 2020: 174 up to 14th of July

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site

http://www.youtube.com/c...z2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists

Offline KevBrads1  
#311 Posted : 17 April 2020 05:20:51(UTC)
KevBrads1

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX 2020: 174 up to 14th of July

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site

http://www.youtube.com/c...z2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists

Online Rob K  
#312 Posted : 17 April 2020 08:44:56(UTC)
Rob K

On our afternoon walk around the river, we saw some different birds sat on the grass around the mill pond. They were all black, bigger than the mallards but smaller than the swans and had long necks. I thought they looked like geese but hubby thought not.  We can’t find them in our British wildlife book.   Any ideas?

Maybe muscovy ducks?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Muscovy_Duck_SMTC.jpg

They come in all sorts, from mostly white to almost all black. They don't have especially long necks but there are all kinds of weird hybrid ducks around. Not native but there are quite a few around in this country that have gone feral.

Edited by user 17 April 2020 08:46:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl.
Online Lionel Hutz  
#313 Posted : 18 April 2020 21:36:09(UTC)
Lionel Hutz

Man
Ireland

Having heard him drum for over a week now I finally got to see the woodpecker today. I heard the drumming this afternoon and I spotted him through my binoculars high up in an old Beech tree in the wood behind my garden. It's incredible to spot what is a very rare bird in Ireland(probably no more than 50 pairs in Ireland at present) beside my garden. I had read about the spread of the woodpecker to Ireland over the past ten years and I hoped that I might see the woodpecker one day. Absolutely fantastic to finally see him today.
Lionel Hutz

Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland

68m ASL

Offline Roger Parsons  
#314 Posted : 19 April 2020 06:52:25(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz Go to Quoted Post
Having heard him drum for over a week now I finally got to see the woodpecker today. I heard the drumming this afternoon and I spotted him through my binoculars high up in an old Beech tree in the wood behind my garden. It's incredible to spot what is a very rare bird in Ireland(probably no more than 50 pairs in Ireland at present) beside my garden. I had read about the spread of the woodpecker to Ireland over the past ten years and I hoped that I might see the woodpecker one day. Absolutely fantastic to finally see him today.

Great birds, Lionel. At our last place we used to get the on our peanut feeders, but here we have to take a walk in the woods to hear them or catch a glimpse. We had all 3 species previously, Green, Great- and Lesser-spotted. THE LS I saw only once - looking out of the bedroom window into our old pear tree. Never seen [spotted? ] again.

With the lockdown we have started putting out a camera trap in the garden - catching our regular Hedgehog overnight and a Magpie most mornings.

Roger

RogerP

Online Lionel Hutz  
#315 Posted : 19 April 2020 08:10:28(UTC)
Lionel Hutz

Man
Ireland

Great birds, Lionel. At our last place we used to get the on our peanut feeders, but here we have to take a walk in the woods to hear them or catch a glimpse. We had all 3 species previously, Green, Great- and Lesser-spotted. THE LS I saw only once - looking out of the bedroom window into our old pear tree. Never seen [spotted? ] again.

With the lockdown we have started putting out a camera trap in the garden - catching our regular Hedgehog overnight and a Magpie most mornings.

Roger

Lovely to see a hedgehog these days, given that the species is under such pressure at the moment. 

As for the woodpeckers, we only have the one variety here, the Great Spotted. Given that we've waited centuries to have one variety of woodpecker here  I won't hold my breath waiting for the others to arrive here!

Lionel Hutz

Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland

68m ASL

Online Rob K  
#316 Posted : 21 April 2020 08:36:51(UTC)
Rob K

With the general reduction in background noise I have been noticing the sound of drumming woodpeckers much more than usual here. There are lots up on the common and some in the trees in town too. I also see the green ones flying fairly often, but I gather they don't actually tend to peck trees, despite their name!
Online NMA  
#317 Posted : 22 April 2020 09:40:39(UTC)
NMA

Man

Just been for an essential shop.On the way there I heard an interesting story R4 how birds are possibly singing in a quieter manner with less plane and traffic noise.
A link as to why they are singing louder
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7755511/Birds-forced-sing-louder-order-heard-planes.html

Though with the reduction in traffic, people might notice they are now singing in a quieter manner in some places according to one researcher. Forgot the name.
Nick

Offline Roger Parsons  
#318 Posted : 22 April 2020 12:11:38(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Have you heard a cuckoo yet? 2 Lincolnshire reports received this week.
You can follow the BTO satellite tracking of UK cuckoos here. [Carlton II is in Berkshire!]
https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/cuckoo-tracking-project

Also - the Cuckoo Flower is open in our village.
https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/cuckooflower

Roger

RogerP

Offline Caz  
#319 Posted : 22 April 2020 17:48:46(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post

Maybe muscovy ducks?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Muscovy_Duck_SMTC.jpg

They come in all sorts, from mostly white to almost all black. They don't have especially long necks but there are all kinds of weird hybrid ducks around. Not native but there are quite a few around in this country that have gone feral.

Hubby thinks they look like the ones we saw, although they didn’t have any visible white markings he thinks they had the greenish sheen on their wing.  Not particularly long necked either but they are described as large ducks.

Sadly, we haven’t seen them again and I have insisted on slowing our pace around the mill pond so I can look for them.  So they were probably just passing and the cob swan had just chased them off the water, when we saw them, so they weren’t exactly made welcome. 

Online Rob K  
#320 Posted : 23 April 2020 08:50:02(UTC)
Rob K

Hubby thinks they look like the ones we saw, although they didn’t have any visible white markings he thinks they had the greenish sheen on their wing.  Not particularly long necked either but they are described as large ducks.

Sadly, we haven’t seen them again and I have insisted on slowing our pace around the mill pond so I can look for them.  So they were probably just passing and the cob swan had just chased them off the water, when we saw them, so they weren’t exactly made welcome. 

Muscovies come in all sorts of markings, some have hardly any white. And they interbreed with other ducks so you get all kinds of weird mixtures too. I find if you see a weird duck it's probably one of them!