Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<456
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline LeedsLad123  
#101 Posted : 22 June 2019 15:41:10(UTC)
LeedsLad123

Man

Saw a dead bird in the garden today - looked like a hatchling, very young and featherless. My guess is a magpie or crow took it but got disturbed and left. Saw a magpie being mobbed by two parent blackbirds yesterday so I guess they’re on the lookout for nests to raid.
Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Offline ARTzeman  
#102 Posted : 23 June 2019 07:47:50(UTC)
ARTzeman

Man

Nice to see a Bullfinch on the feeding station at 08: 42. Nice orangy red frontage. Must have been summer plumage.

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

Offline Roger Parsons  
#103 Posted : 23 June 2019 07:57:45(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman Go to Quoted Post
Nice to see a Bullfinch on the feeding station at 08: 42. Nice orangy red frontage. Must have been summer plumage.

That will be a male in all his glory, Art. A splendid sight. To compare sexes see:

https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/gbw/gardens-wildlife/garden-birds/a-z-garden-birds/bullfinch

or

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/bullfinch/

Roger

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Online Devonian  
#104 Posted : 23 June 2019 08:56:36(UTC)
Devonian

Man

We have lots of house martins this year - maybe 15 nests (nearly all in 'man mades'). But, the swallow situation is another, and rather sad, story.

A single swallow return early this year and we've only ended up with three or four pairs - several down on usual. The took up residency in old nest sites and thing progressed but earlier in the  month I noticed five dead fledglings below the main nest site and after checking another I found five more dead fledglings below another, difficult to check, nest. We've never seen more than a odd dead chick in, what, four or five decades of observations.

Now, we had both a horrible midday hailstorm and then a cold, haily, evening thunderstorm on the (checks) 10th, and a day with a sub 10C maxima on the 11th, but it does seem strange a spell of cool weather would finish nearly fledged chicks - especially as we see no evidence of house martin chick losses. I do just wonder if the hail chilled the tin roofs above them - but, well, that seems unlikely too, swallows can survive freezing April nights. I have no explaintions, but I do know swallows need our (people's) friendship and help this year.

"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way"

Nigel Farage, Daily Mirror, 16/5/2016

"I think the mistake the government made - led by Theresa May - from the start was to try and claim that a country that had voted 17 million to leave the EU, 16 million to stay, wanted a 100% Brexit"

Osborne, 22/12/18.

Offline bradders  
#105 Posted : 23 June 2019 09:35:02(UTC)
bradders

Man
United Kingdom

Two Blue Tits have flown into our lounge window in the last couple of weeks. The first one was a young bird,after resting below the window for a while it flew away.

The second one  was an adult, which hit the window with a loud bang. It lay on the patio below the window with it`s beak open,and seemed to be gasping for breath. Eventally it sat up then flew away.

Then yesterday the wife was in our bedroom when there was a loud bang on the window. There was nothing to be seen below because there are bushes there and if it was a bird it probably fell into them.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.

Offline Caz  
#106 Posted : 23 June 2019 09:49:14(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 Go to Quoted Post
Saw a dead bird in the garden today - looked like a hatchling, very young and featherless. My guess is a magpie or crow took it but got disturbed and left. Saw a magpie being mobbed by two parent blackbirds yesterday so I guess they’re on the lookout for nests to raid.
Magpies are more noticeable this year and seem to have worked their way into gardens more over the past three or four years. We’ve seen and heard a few stand offs between them and Blackbirds!   

Last week I was alerted by such a commotion and had to smile at the sight.  A neighbour’s cat was sat on their gate post and a Magpie was on the other, not a meter away.  The bird was really doing its best to give the cat a hard time, cackling loudly, jumping up and down and lunging forward, but the cat just sat there unperturbed.  I half wanted it to grab the bird and teach it a lesson!  Did I really say that?   

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline Caz  
#107 Posted : 23 June 2019 17:22:17(UTC)
Caz

Woman

We’re seeing quite a few Red Kite around here this year!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.