POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
13 March 2019 17:37:42

Dry today, apart from a few spots of showery rain, 82.4mm month to date.

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
johncs2016
14 March 2019 09:06:06

In the end, a total of 1.0 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, a total of 4.6 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8am this morning, along with 3.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 60.0 mm, the total for this spring so far to 60.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 90.8 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 57.2 mm, the total for this spring so far to 57.2 mm and the total for this year so far to 88.0 mm as at 8am this morning.

Since more rain has now fallen at both of those stations during this month than the 1981-2010 March average for that particular station, this month will now go down as being a wetter than average month at both of those stations in terms of the actual rainfall amounts regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month.

Since there has also now been more official rain days during this month at both of those stations than the 1981-2010 March average for that particular station, this month will also go down as being a wetter than average month at both of those stations in terms of the number of official rain days regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month.

All of that is the case despite the fact we still haven't even reached the halfway point of this month yet so at both of those stations, there has actually been more than twice the amount of rain during this month than what we would normally expect to see at this stage of an average month, and that shows just how thoroughly wet, this month (and indeed, this spring) has been so far.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
14 March 2019 10:55:05

3.8 mm This Morning

48.3mm To Date.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Snow Hoper
14 March 2019 15:22:40

41.6mm.

Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.
ARTzeman
15 March 2019 11:00:47

48.9 mm  To Date.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
16 March 2019 09:04:29
In the end, a total of 1.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 1.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh with some of that falling as hailstones, sleet and wet snow.

In addition to that, a total of 5.2 mm of precipitation which has mostly been in the form of wet snow has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8am this morning, along with 6.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 66.6 mm, the total for this spring so far to 66.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 97.4 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 65.2 mm, the total for this spring so far to 65.2 mm and the total for this year so far to 96.0 mm as at 8am this morning.

Since it is still snowing quite heavily as I write, the above totals for today are unlikely to be today's final totals.

For now, our wet and miserable March goes on (the second half of the month is being forecast to be much drier, although it is now already too late for that to be able to prevent this month from going down as being wetter than average overall) and although we are only halfway through this month, we have now on average had as much rain during this month at both of those stations as what there was during the whole winter which preceded that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
KevBrads1
16 March 2019 09:09:58

Thankfully, it looks as though high pressure will be more dominant during the second half of March as regional rainfall totals are starting to become alarming. Already as wet as March of last year and that was a wet March overall. That doesn't take into account of today's deluge.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
ARTzeman
16 March 2019 10:52:05

49.5 mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
Cumbrian Snowman
16 March 2019 14:32:07
Wettest March on record 1999-2019 for me, well over the 114.8mm previous record and still 15days or so to go

Local rivers well up today with over 17mm since midnight
Snow Hoper
16 March 2019 20:41:42

48mm

Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
17 March 2019 07:10:15

https://www.floodalerts.com shows dramatically where the problems are

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Snow Hoper
17 March 2019 08:32:19

51.6mm.

johncs2016
17 March 2019 08:53:59
In the end, a total of 16.8 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 18.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh with some of that falling as snow. That makes yesterday the wettest day of this year so far at both of those stations.

However, today has been completely dry so far at both of those stations as at 8am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 78.2 mm, the total for this spring so far to 78.2 mm and the total for this year so far to 109.0 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 77.0 mm, the total for this spring so far to 77.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 107.8 mm as at 8am this morning.

richardabdn
17 March 2019 09:32:16

Yesterday was the wettest day of the year but still could only clock up 10.4mm.

Monthly total 38.2mm so very much possible it will be yet another drier than average month meaning just one out of 12 will be wetter than average. Even during the previous four years of above average rainfall, dry months were never this scarce.

This pattern has to break soon and likely just in time for the beginning of the summer half of the year 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
17 March 2019 10:24:05
76.5mm here now, about 21mm over the month average. I fancy we won't get much more though. 17.3mm yesterday, 6th March had 19mm
ARTzeman
17 March 2019 10:46:17

50.1 mm  To Date.

Others just get wet.
Bolty
17 March 2019 21:04:49
Yesterday's deluge brought 57.7mm here, making it by far the wettest day I've ever recorded. It also brought the monthly rainfal total up to 147.2mm for 1-16 March! That's over double the average for the entire month!
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
LeedsLad123
17 March 2019 21:21:54
71mm, certainly a soggy month. Thankfully the outlook is dry.
Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
johncs2016
18 March 2019 08:55:03

A total of just 0.4 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank thanks to a single shower of rain which actually missed this part of Edinburgh altogether, where I live.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this makes the total for this month so far to 78.6 mm, the total for this spring so far to 78.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 109.4 mm as at 8am this morning.

However, the botanic gardens in Edinburgh were completely dry during yesterday for the first time this month and this spring, so the totals for that particular station remain unchanged from my last report here as at 8am this morning.

At the moment, there still hasn't been a single day during this month or spring so far which has been completely dry at both of those stations. Given the latest forecasts though, we shouldn't have to wait for too much longer now, for that to happen.

KevBrads1
20 March 2019 17:41:46

Recently, we seem to be going between famine and feast in terms of rainfall, at least for England and Wales

1st-24th Dec 2018: 114mm

25th Dec-14th Jan: 5mm

15th Jan-10th Feb: 90mm

11th-27th Feb: 6mm

28th Feb-18th Mar: 99mm

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists