lanky
  • lanky
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
20 February 2019 10:46:40

50 years ago I was living in the "foothills" of Dartmoor about 600' (180m asl) between Exeter and Crediton

February 1969 is not often mentioned here being just a few years later than the historic winter of 1962-3 but was a cold and snowy month with a CET of 1.0C

The weather of 19-20 Feb 1969 was very different to what we are seeing on this "Golden Jubilee" 50 years later, with high pressure over Russia and a Channel Low in the SW approaches - the classic set-up for a snow event in the SW which is what happened overnight.

This was a short lived event - all over after 2 or 3 days when the temperature bounced back to 12C resulting in serious flooding in Mid Devom

Long enough though for me to fail to make it to Exeter for 2 days and allow me time to wander around with my camera !

clickables

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Bolty
20 February 2019 11:16:37
The winter of 1968-69 was a very strange one, if I'm honest. A cold run-up to Christmas gave way to a mild January before things turned bitterly cold in early February. The winter then continued into spring, with March being one of the coldest of the 20th century with a CET of just 3.3.

The snowfall of 19-20 February, the Christmas Day snowfall and an ice storm in mid-March are the main standouts of that winter, for sure.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
tallyho_83
20 February 2019 11:32:48

Originally Posted by: lanky 

50 years ago I was living in the "foothills" of Dartmoor about 600' (180m asl) between Exeter and Crediton

February 1969 is not often mentioned here being just a few years later than the historic winter of 1962-3 but was a cold and snowy month with a CET of 1.0C

The weather of 19-20 Feb 1969 was very different to what we are seeing on this "Golden Jubilee" 50 years later, with high pressure over Russia and a Channel Low in the SW approaches - the classic set-up for a snow event in the SW which is what happened overnight.

This was a short lived event - all over after 2 or 3 days when the temperature bounced back to 12C resulting in serious flooding in Mid Devom

Long enough though for me to fail to make it to Exeter for 2 days and allow me time to wander around with my camera !

clickables

Well before my time that!! 

Looks like that of storm Emma that came off Portugal and pushed across the bay of Biscay into southern England! (1st March 2018).

How thick was the snow?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

lanky
  • lanky
20 February 2019 12:23:37

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Well before my time that!! 

Looks like that of storm Emma that came off Portugal and pushed across the bay of Biscay into southern England! (1st March 2018).

How thick was the snow?

There was a lot of drifting with drifts feet deep but my guess from recollection would be a level depth of about 30cm

With drifts and sculptures like this

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Sevendust
20 February 2019 12:35:35

Excellent pics

Crepuscular Ray
20 February 2019 13:56:27
The ice storm in that March brought down the Emley Moor TV transmitter from the sheer weight of glaze. In Yorkshire we lost ITV for quite a while!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Lionel Hutz
20 February 2019 14:13:16

Great pics.

Just before my time also. I cannot be certain but I suspect that that system brought snow to my area too. As well as being similar to the Storm Emma snowfall last year, the 1969 set up seems reminiscent of the "South West Blizzard" which arrived 9 years later almost to the day. That storm also brought heavy snow to my area also - it's one of my earliest memories of snow - I was 5 years old at the time. 

Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL

Sharp Green Fox
21 February 2019 15:51:02

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

The winter of 1968-69 was a very strange one, if I'm honest. A cold run-up to Christmas gave way to a mild January before things turned bitterly cold in early February. The winter then continued into spring, with March being one of the coldest of the 20th century with a CET of just 3.3.

The snowfall of 19-20 February, the Christmas Day snowfall and an ice storm in mid-March are the main standouts of that winter, for sure.

Remember waking up to snow, morning of Friday 14th February, and it being very dark. (Permanent British Summer Time in those days). The previous weekend also very snowy. Was living in Manchester at the time. Can't remember the snow on the 19-20th though.

LeedsLad123
21 February 2019 15:54:15

Most people alive in the UK today were probably nonexistent in 1969. Even my mum would only barely be able to remember anything from then, being 4 years old.

Still, it’s always nice to get a firsthand account of increasingly distant weather events.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
sunny coast
21 February 2019 19:17:12
yes remember 1969 lived in the birmingham area was 10 years old remember several heavy snowfalls infact the 4 years i lived there from march 68 to jan 72 had numerous snow events especially up to and including christmas 1970
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
21 February 2019 19:28:47
At the time we lived at Hutton-le-Hole south of the moors and there were several days with basically snow on and off all the time.
It was well over a foot deep and being quite small at primary school it was too deep for child-size wellies and school was closed until after half-term.
It seemed to disappear fairly quickly but there were several more snowfalls through March.

Devonian
21 February 2019 19:40:57

clickables

It's deja vu time! And nothing wrong with that! I (just) remember it, lanes filled with drifting snow here - we're several hundred ft higher.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
UncleAlbert
24 February 2019 11:53:18
February 69 was a very interesting month. In Bristol we had around 15 cm with drifts up to around 2 feet from that event. We had light snow showers on Wed 19th and through the day on the 20th before the heavy snow set in on the evening of the 20th. I seem to remember the thaw setting in on the Saturday so yes it was a quick demise. We also had a 'thundersnow' event from a polar low on the Sunday aftermoon of the 2cnd. Another notable polar low gave a very dry snowfall to many areas on the evening of the 7th. I remember seeing a newspaper picture of the blizzard swirling around a bus in central London and eddying like sand across the road.
Chunky Pea
24 February 2019 14:41:09

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz 

Great pics.

Just before my time also. I cannot be certain but I suspect that that system brought snow to my area too. As well as being similar to the Storm Emma snowfall last year, the 1969 set up seems reminiscent of the "South West Blizzard" which arrived 9 years later almost to the day. That storm also brought heavy snow to my area also - it's one of my earliest memories of snow - I was 5 years old at the time. 

Before my time also but records show that the nearest reporting station to me got down to -17.5c that month, and which still remains Ireland's coldest Feb temp to date. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Norseman
18 November 2019 14:15:15

It was a cold February in my home area in Highland Perthshire with snow cover but for us the heaviest and most disruptive snow came in the second week of March. For about three days (12th to 14th) there was constant snow on a strong SouthEasterly causing drifting and many road closures. Unfortunately in those days up there schools never closed and anyone that could walk in had to attend.

Gooner
19 November 2019 08:13:38

Great pics 

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Rob K
19 November 2019 10:57:59

clickables

Can you remember exactly where that would be? I can't quite read the other names on the signpost, apart from Exeter and Crediton. Possibly Shobrooke?

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
lanky
  • lanky
19 November 2019 11:42:34

^^

I lived near there in Feb 1969 and Google Map View shows it as:

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Rob K
19 November 2019 12:10:47

^^

Good memory! Interesting to compare the view nowadays. Some of those lanes round there are like tunnels through the trees.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Saint Snow
19 November 2019 12:29:13

^^

I can't see anything?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan