18 February 2019 16:47:27

3.3 mm  Today

48.3 mm This Month.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
johncs2016
19 February 2019 08:52:03
In the end, a total of 1.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

However, today has been completely dry so far at both of those stations as at 8am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this takes the total for this month so far to 19.0 mm, the total for this winter so far to 67.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 29.2 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this takes the total for this month so far to 16.0 mm, the total for this winter so far to 62.0 mm and the total for this year so far to 28.2 mm as at 8am this morning.

So far, this has been an extraordinarily dry month and although there is still over a week to go until the end of this month, we might not actually get all that much rain during the rest of this month if the latest model output turns out to be correct.

It would not surprise me in any way if this winter as a whole, ended up being one of our driest winters on record, especially since this has traditionally, tended to be one of the wettest and stormiest seasons with the worst of that weather, usually coming in the early part of the winter, at around Christmas.

Yet, this winter is by far, going to go down as the driest season which I have recorded by quite some distance, since I first joined this forum back in 2016. During that time, every single season until now had at the very least, always produced a total of more than 100 mm of rain, and usually well over that. Indeed, that was the case even during the very dry summer which we had last year when we had those droughts and yet, this winter is going to produce a rainfall total in the end which is well short of that 100 mm mark.

In addition to that, it also wouldn't surprise me if this was also one of our driest ever starts to any year on record. The only caveat to that comes from the fact that this month isn't going to be the driest month of this winter here since we have already had more rain at both of those above stations, than what we had during January, but the only reason why this is is the case is because January was such an exceptionally dry month and it turns out that this month's totals aren't likely to be all that much higher in the end, than what we saw during January.

Back in December, I was commenting on just how dry it was then and indeed, that was also a very month. Since then though, it has got even drier and now, it is looking as December is actually going to end up being the wettest month of this winter which in itself, is extraordinary since that was a month which produced less than 40 mm of rain at both of those above stations.

Given that this has been an ongoing pattern for so long (since before last summer), this makes me extremely concerned about where all of this might be going. This is Scotland after all and yet with the way that things are going, I am becoming increasingly fearful that at some point in time if this carries on, our climate could end up being more reminiscent of that in the Sahara Desert, than in a maritime nation such as Scotland.

This might not bring us more general water shortages in the meantime. However, this slowdown of the Atlantic jet stream which we are seeing (possibly as a result of climate change that might at least, have been at least partially brought on by mankind itself) together with the rapidly growing global human population means that those types of general water shortages might becoming much common over time, and that could well be very concerning for our descendants, especially since we might not actually be all far into the future before these effects start to be fully felt.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
20 February 2019 08:39:49
In the end, a total of 0.4 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that though, a total of 0.8 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8am this morning along with 0.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this takes the total for this month so far to 20.2 mm, the total for this winter so far to 68.2 mm and the total for this year so far to 30.4 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this takes the total for this month so far to 17.8 mm, the total for this winter so far to 63.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 30.0 mm as at 8am this morning.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
20 February 2019 13:22:38

0.3mm at 04:30 This Morning.

48.6mm  To Date.

Others just get wet.
Bolty
20 February 2019 18:08:13
33.6mm to the end of the 19th.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Snow Hoper
20 February 2019 18:56:51

25mm.

Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.
ARTzeman
22 February 2019 16:26:17

0.3 mm Added today. 

48.9 mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
23 February 2019 10:47:12

0.3 mm Yesterday

0.3 mm Today

49.2 mm This Month

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
24 February 2019 09:55:21
In the end, a total of 0.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that though, a total of 0.2 mm of rain has been recorded during today so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 9am this morning, but this is probably only due to condensation with Edinburgh Gogarbank being completely dry so far.

Since these totals are so small, there is no point in me giving my usual more detailed report here since none of the totals are going to be all that different from what I reported the last time as a result.

I will therefore, just say that this takes the total for this month so far as at 9am this morning to 20.6 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and just 18.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh and given what the forecast is like for the next few days, that is probably likely to be it for this month.

ARTzeman
28 February 2019 12:11:26

1.5 mm Today

50.7 mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
28 February 2019 16:12:45

2.1 mm Today.

51.3 mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
01 March 2019 01:11:45
Now that we have just entered another new month, I can now confirm that the final total for February comes out as 20.6 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 18.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this is 38.3% of the 1981-2010 average for that station whilst the botanic gardens in Edinburgh had 39.6% of its 1981-2010 average rainfall during February.

Overall, this shows that February was yet another substantially drier than average month at both of those stations in terms of the actual rainfall amounts, though not quite as dry as what January was.

In addition to that, Edinburgh Gogarbank had 7 official rain days during February and this shows that it was also a drier than average month there in terms of the number of official rain days since that amounts to 71.4% of the 1981-2010 average. It is a similar story at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which had just 4 official rain days with that amounting to 42.6% of the 1981-2010 average.

As we have also just entered a new season, I can also confirm that the total for the winter was 68.6 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 64.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this was 35.4% of the 1981-2010 average whilst the botanic gardens in Edinburgh had 36.9% of its 1981-2010 average during the winter.

In addition to that, Edinburgh Gogarbank had 19 official rain days during the winter which was 52.3% of the 1981-2010 average whereas the botanic gardens in Edinburgh had 17 official rain days during the winter which was 51.1% of the 1981-2010 average.

I can also confirm that during 2019 so far, Edinburgh Gogarbank has had a total of 30.8 mm of rain as at midnight going into 1 March 2019 which is 4.1% of the 1981-2010 average, whilst the botanic gardens in Edinburgh has had a total of 30.8 mm of rain during 2019 so far as at midnight going into 1 March 2019, which is 4.4% of the 1981-2010 average.

In addition to that, Edinburgh Gogarbank has had 11 official rain days so far during 2019 as at midnight going into 1 March 2019 which is 8.0% of the 1981-2010 average whereas the botanic gardens in Edinburgh has had 8 official rain days during 2019 so far at at midnight going into 1 March 2019 which is 6.4% of the 1981-2010 average.

POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
01 March 2019 07:31:59

Final total 67.6mm

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
01 March 2019 09:12:40

Total for February is 35.8mm, all of which fell in the first 11 days.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
ARTzeman
01 March 2019 14:06:12

The final total for February came to 51.3 mm. Glad it was over the fifty.

Others just get wet.
Andy J
01 March 2019 16:12:12

Final total for February 2019 here is 21mm (60%).  Our driest February since 2008 (18mm).

Total Winter rainfall came to 120mm, making it the driest Winter here since 2010-11.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
Bolty
01 March 2019 18:00:16
Final February total was 40.6mm, or 79% of the 1981-2010 average.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
picturesareme
03 March 2019 12:50:08
Wet one with of 60mm of rain in the end.