DPower
20 January 2019 20:07:10
Pretty underwhelming ouput this evening considering strat forcing potential post t168. Plenty of time for the input to change over the coming week to something a lot more potent hopefully. Perhaps I'm setting the bar to high but am expecting much better than mediocre northerlies all things considered.
I think the SSW certainly changed the course of this winter from mid Dec to present. EC46, met updates and recent model output lends us to believe the strat downwelling will be worth sacrificing over half the winter for, but with everyones patience close to breaking point after repeated false dawns and winter nirvana type synoptics always in the distance anything less than a prolonged ( 2 to 4 weeks) cold, very cold spell will be a big disappointment.
Phil24
20 January 2019 20:09:20

Looks very much like both continents can and are going to get a slice of the cake.  How often does that happen.

White Meadows
20 January 2019 20:15:47
ECM FI looks good tonight. Beast waiting to pounce and could easily change things quickly & dramatically if the Azores hp takes a bit of a holiday...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/topkarten.php?map=1&model=ecm&var=1&time=240&run=12&lid=OP&h=0&tr=24&mv=0#mapref 
Chunky Pea
20 January 2019 20:23:11

Originally Posted by: jhall 

That's the 0Z run.

Ah right. Not sure how that happened?  

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Weathermac
20 January 2019 20:47:40

Originally Posted by: Shropshire 

Yes, the ECM is the sort of sequence that downgrades both in upper temps and synoptics nearer the time, with the Azores High ending up playing much more of a role than progged at this stage.

I'm afraid after the Northern blocking failure of the NWP we are now left with the crumbs of this.

Cant you pair get a room together so you can share your pessimisms in private .

Read the met update ...yes winter is delayed this week but it is coming and when it does i expect it will be severe.

fairweather
20 January 2019 20:48:15

Originally Posted by: DPower 

Pretty underwhelming ouput this evening considering strat forcing potential post t168. Plenty of time for the input to change over the coming week to something a lot more potent hopefully. Perhaps I'm setting the bar to high but am expecting much better than mediocre northerlies all things considered.
I think the SSW certainly changed the course of this winter from mid Dec to present. EC46, met updates and recent model output lends us to believe the strat downwelling will be worth sacrificing over half the winter for, but with everyones patience close to breaking point after repeated false dawns and winter nirvana type synoptics always in the distance anything less than a prolonged ( 2 to 4 weeks) cold, very cold spell will be a big disappointment.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Saint Snow
20 January 2019 20:49:41

I've not given up on snow here on Monday night into Tuesday.

BBC and Met Office aren't enthusiastic, and it could well be one of those annoying set ups where you need >200m altitude so it's just slush or worse here, but we'll see.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
marco 79
20 January 2019 20:49:49

Originally Posted by: DPower 

I think the SSW certainly changed the course of this winter from mid Dec to present. EC46, met updates and recent model output lends us to believe the strat downwelling will be worth sacrificing over half the winter for, but with everyones patience close to breaking point after repeated false dawns and winter nirvana type synoptics always in the distance anything less than a prolonged ( 2 to 4 weeks) cold, very cold spell will be a big disappointment

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a point of note ....only 2 out 3 ssw's deliver a colder than average setup....

Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
Robertski
20 January 2019 20:51:48

Originally Posted by: Weathermac 

Cant you pair get a room together so you can share your pessimisms in private .

Read the met update ...yes winter is delayed this week but it is coming and when it does i expect it will be severe.

To be fair the METO have been saying it will get very in the extended forecast since December and.....it never quite arrives!

White Meadows
20 January 2019 20:55:06

Originally Posted by: Robertski 

To be fair the METO have been saying it will get very in the extended forecast since December and.....it never quite arrives!

Perhaps the strat event arrived later than expected? 

It could really be as simple as that.

at least we know for a fact this has taken place.

tallyho_83
20 January 2019 20:56:28

Originally Posted by: Polar Low 

it is but zub is right on his comment, white stuff on back edge

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_table.php?x=0&y=0&lat=51.5085&lon=-0.12574&run=12&ext=fr&mode=3&sort=0

What we want is for that frontal system on Monday night into Tuesday is to stall so the colder air can undercut this and turn any rain to snow more quicker. I guess that we would also need the precipitation to be more intense too for this to happen. Not quite the thundersnow we had back end of Jan 2004 or was in 2003? I remember end of Jan (either 03 or 04 when there was a thundersnow event for the south!? Pretty sure it was on a Monday night!? Can anyone remember this? Could this event Monday night into Tuesday be a thundersnow event?

We had temps of 5c and then temps fell in rain and rain turned to snow and then the snow became power dry as temperatures fell to -2c behind the front. The snow started to stick too and then freeze! I think it was on 28th Jan 2003 or 2004 - strange how I remember the date but not the year ha! Does anyone remember this event? Well

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

doctormog
20 January 2019 20:57:35

N

The cold was always forecast for the middle January onwards, as is highlighted in the extended outlook from the 1st of January

“UK Outlook for Wednesday 16 Jan 2019 to Wednesday 30 Jan 2019:

It is likely start unsettled across most areas at first, with perhaps heavy rain and gales at times, especially in the north, where severe gales are possible. Hill snow is also possible, as well as snow to lower levels at times in the north. By the third week of January there is then an increased likelihood of a change to much colder weather generally, bringing an enhanced risk of frost, fog and snow. These conditions may then continue to the end of the month, but some milder, wet and windy interludes also remain possible throughout this period.”

Considering the timescale and model uncertainty that was a pretty good call (including the low level snow there has been in parts of the north).

jhall
20 January 2019 21:05:06

It seems strangely appropriate that the word after "very" should have somehow gone AWOL from your post. :)

Cranleigh, Surrey
Robertski
20 January 2019 21:09:30

It seems strangely appropriate that the word after "very" should have somehow gone AWOL from your post. :)

Quite

Maunder Minimum
20 January 2019 21:18:06

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

Excellent run - the chase straight away begins 

Another cold NWly approaches

Yet more eye candy at 10 days. Wake me up when we see some eye candy charts at 5 days - then I will take note. All we have been doing so far this winter is chasing, chasing never catching - the winter hare this season is too fast for our tired old dogs to catch.

New world order coming.
Robertski
20 January 2019 21:28:16

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

N

The cold was always forecast for the middle January onwards, as is highlighted in the extended outlook from the 1st of January

“UK Outlook for Wednesday 16 Jan 2019 to Wednesday 30 Jan 2019:

It is likely start unsettled across most areas at first, with perhaps heavy rain and gales at times, especially in the north, where severe gales are possible. Hill snow is also possible, as well as snow to lower levels at times in the north. By the third week of January there is then an increased likelihood of a change to much colder weather generally, bringing an enhanced risk of frost, fog and snow. These conditions may then continue to the end of the month, but some milder, wet and windy interludes also remain possible throughout this period.”

Considering the timescale and model uncertainty that was a pretty good call (including the low level snow there has been in parts of the north).

If you go back through most of their extended outlooks, it's been pretty much the same from the METO, jam tomorrow. 

Polar Low
20 January 2019 21:29:40

Apologies 

I was following up the point the OP made about the sharp temperature gradient just off the coast of Newfoundland, when I said it wasn't that different to the 0Z, rather than considering our own neck of the woods.

Polar Low
20 January 2019 21:32:25

You get those charts by the year below link Tally just change date at top

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?mode=1&month=1&day=29&year=2004&map=0&type=ncep

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

What we want is for that frontal system on Monday night into Tuesday is to stall so the colder air can undercut this and turn any rain to snow more quicker. I guess that we would also need the precipitation to be more intense too for this to happen. Not quite the thundersnow we had back end of Jan 2004 or was in 2003? I remember end of Jan (either 03 or 04 when there was a thundersnow event for the south!? Pretty sure it was on a Monday night!? Can anyone remember this? Could this event Monday night into Tuesday be a thundersnow event?

We had temps of 5c and then temps fell in rain and rain turned to snow and then the snow became power dry as temperatures fell to -2c behind the front. The snow started to stick too and then freeze! I think it was on 28th Jan 2003 or 2004 - strange how I remember the date but not the year ha! Does anyone remember this event? Well

RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
20 January 2019 21:34:31

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Wednesday 28th Jan 2004. It arrived in the late afternoon here in Cambridge. One of the most memorable weather events for me.  As the cold front arrived it started out as rain, and the temperature was 6C, There were a couple of claps of thunder and the sky turned orange.  The snow arrived suddenly like a wall of white. The temperature dropped 5 or 6 degrees in a matter of minutes.

There's quite a nice video here.

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
Gandalf The White
20 January 2019 21:37:26

Originally Posted by: Shropshire 

Yes, the ECM is the sort of sequence that downgrades both in upper temps and synoptics nearer the time, with the Azores High ending up playing much more of a role than progged at this stage.

I'm afraid after the Northern blocking failure of the NWP we are now left with the crumbs of this.

How's your mild weekend and return to zonality looking tonight?

The answer to that will put your latest interpretation of the output in proper context.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E