johncs2016
19 January 2019 00:48:56

Here in Edinburgh, our winter borefest goes on as it is overcast with only a little bit of light rain at times which is barely enough to wet the ground, let alone register as actual recorded rainfall. At the same time, the temperatures are as usual, refusing to drop as a result of there being too much cloud around.

Meanwhile, the temperature at midnight was 1.9°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 2°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 2.3°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
tallyho_83
19 January 2019 00:58:46

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Here in Edinburgh, our winter borefest goes on as it is overcast with only a little bit of light rain at times which is barely enough to wet the ground, let alone register as actual recorded rainfall. At the same time, the temperatures are as usual, refusing to drop as a result of there being too much cloud around.

Meanwhile, the temperature at midnight was 1.9°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 2°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 2.3°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

I thought Edinburgh and Glasgow saw snow earlier?? Or at least many parts of Scotland and N England saw snow, if little settling!

5.5c here in Exeter

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

johncs2016
19 January 2019 01:08:48

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

I thought Edinburgh and Glasgow saw snow earlier?? Or at least many parts of Scotland and N England saw snow, if little settling!

5.5c here in Exeter

I know from the snow reports thread that fullbhoy had got some snow through in Glasgow with that even lying a bit. As per usual though, there has been nothing here in Edinburgh that I know about (if there had been any snow here, I'm sure that pdiddy and/or noodledoodle would have been quick to pick up on that if Jerry (I know that his actual usual name on this forum is Crepuscular Ray, although we all just call him Jerry) wasn't here to do so himself). There again, there virtually never is these days and that is why this has to be the most boring part of the UK in terms of our weather, as far as I am concerned.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Foghorn
19 January 2019 02:33:37
Sky cleared in north Northumberland and temp now down to 0.5c, but not so much as a flake of snow or raindrop.
P+ve Giant
19 January 2019 03:12:47

Broken cloud, a moderate S to SE breeze, temp. has risen to 1.9 C @ 95% RH and pressure has fallen to 1007mb.

John.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
19 January 2019 05:32:13

Calm, cloudy and wet but no snow. Overnight we’ve had a mix of rain turning to sleet, then to wet snow and back again.  Temp now 1.1c.

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
marco 79
19 January 2019 08:19:45
Overcast....damp...light SE breeze...1.3c....1010mb
Max yesterday 4.2c
Overnight Min 0.8c
Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
Tim A
19 January 2019 08:30:34
0.9c and cloudy.
Patchy snow cover on grass and roofs remains.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

johncs2016
19 January 2019 08:44:54

An overcast, dreary, dark, depressing and soul destroying start to today with nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather even happening in this part of the world as per usual. This means that once again, the borefest goes on with a return to the usual frost-free horror show which we have had to endure throughout most of this winter.

It is slightly damp this morning, but the rather measly total of just 0.2 mm of rain has been recorded for today so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 8am this morning (such a small total that it might even have been caused just by condensation alone, rather than any actual rainfall) with nothing at all at Edinburgh Gogarbank. This is exactly what I said would happen even whilst all of that excitement was happening elsewhere, and this just once again points out just how boring and repetitive our weather is in this part of the world, and the fact that this has to now be the most boring part of the UK when it comes to our weather.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 8am this morning was 0.0°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 0°C at Edinburgh Airport and 2.0°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Skreever
19 January 2019 09:04:17
Overcast, raining

Wind SSE slight breeze

Temp 2.9C
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
idj20
19 January 2019 09:45:35

Dry with a nice drop of sunshine but rather on the chilly side at 3.8 c & 80% h.

Yet I was forecasting overcast skies with patchy rain or sleet for this morning. What chance have I got with trying to predict the outlook for next weekend.   

Folkestone Harbour. 
ARTzeman
19 January 2019 10:30:45

Overcast. Drizzle. 7.0c. Humidity 92% Rh.

1006 hPa. SE Breeze 6 mph.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
richardabdn
19 January 2019 10:51:34

Yet another depressing, sunless, frost free start to Saturday here in the least rewarding climate on Earth

Rain washed away most of the snow overnight, not that there was ever much to begin with, and it's now 1.1C.

Absolutely hopeless winter 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
19 January 2019 11:13:12

Altostratus cloud cover, calm, dry.

4.4*C after a minimum of 2.2*C at 2.00am.

83%RH; 1007.7mb steady.

@johncs Ah, it appears that I spoke too soon in yesterday's CC thread.  Oh well...

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
johncs2016
19 January 2019 12:42:10

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

Altostratus cloud cover, calm, dry.

4.4*C after a minimum of 2.2*C at 2.00am.

83%RH; 1007.7mb steady.

@johncs Ah, it appears that I spoke too soon in yesterday's CC thread.  Oh well...

Well if you read my latest post on the moaning thread, you will see exactly why I'm not happy with the weather just now, and what this could potentially lead to in the longer term if our weather doesn't start to get a bit more interesting in this part of the world fairly soon.

For now though, the borefest goes on with constant grey skies throughout this morning, but nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather actually happening. The end result of this is that nothing in the way of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 12 noon.

Last night's overnight minimum temperature was 0.0°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 0°C at Edinburgh Airport and 1.5°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh so despite all of the cloud which is around, we still managed to come very close to getting an official air frost at Edinburgh Gogarbank and Edinburgh Airport although in my book, coming close just isn't good enough for me.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 12 noon was 2.1°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 2°C at Edinburgh Airport and 3.3°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
19 January 2019 15:22:16

Cloudy.

4.1c

1007.8mb steady

0.2mm

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
19 January 2019 16:05:19

Calm, cloudy 7C but a lot of rain in past 24 hours quite local I think  - near enough 3 inches or about 76mm. 

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
johncs2016
19 January 2019 16:43:56

Still no change in our so-called "weather" (not that we really seem to have any such thing as actual weather these days) from what I reported earlier on today so that in the end, nothing in the way of sunshine was recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank. That makes today our 7th completely sunless day of this month, the 7th sunless day of this year and the 19th sunless day of this complete non-event which is known as this "winter".

Today's maximum temperature was 3.4°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 3°C at Edinburgh Airport and 3.6°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 4pm this afternoon was 3.0°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 3°C at Edinburgh Airport and 3.2°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Saint Snow
19 January 2019 19:34:35

Spent most of today in Blackpool. Drizzle on and off. Back home... drizzle on and off (at 2.8c)

Will the Tuesday 'event' bring any frozen flakey stuff?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
19 January 2019 20:44:12

Still no change at all from earlier on and because of that, the temperature has barely dropped at all since my last report on this thread due to there being too much cloud around (during this so-called "winter", there has usually always been too much cloud and/or too much wind around and the end result is that the temperature has then refused to drop because of that).

Meanwhile, the temperature at 8pm this evening was 2.2°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 2°C at Edinburgh Airport and 2.6°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.