Darren S
01 February 2019 11:59:46

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Following on from my post above, the Met O computer output has a further spell of three hours or so of heavy snow forecast for my area from 3pm to 6pm.

Look at the radar at the moment and you'll see a stream of showers springing up from about Redhill in Surrey and marching North West across Bracknell towards Twyford. We're catching the edge of it, it's snowing as I write - it looks like it could keep going for a while.

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
JACKO4EVER
01 February 2019 12:05:47
Apart from a 30 second snow sprinkle this morning it’s a complete non event for these parts. 4.5c with sunny spells, still a bit raw in the breeze though
Rob K
01 February 2019 12:17:46

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

Look at the radar at the moment and you'll see a stream of showers springing up from about Redhill in Surrey and marching North West across Bracknell towards Twyford. We're catching the edge of it, it's snowing as I write - it looks like it could keep going for a while.

Weather type radar suggests they are sleet but turning to snow as they head west

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
soperman
01 February 2019 12:42:47

Met auto now stating 90% Heavy Snow now and for next 4 hours and fizzling out at 5:00 p.m.

This time I really can't see any chance unless the feature rapidly develops in situ.

Very light snow under leaden sky

Heavy Weather 2013
01 February 2019 12:55:43

Still holding out hope that something happens with the front to deliver some unexpected snowfall later on. 

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
fairweather
01 February 2019 17:29:37

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze 

Exceeded expectations here. Yesterday morning I thought we'd end up with about 3cm but we have approx 8cm. I'm surprised so many people thought the snow would stop south of the Thames. Most model runs were taking it further north and I think they handled it very well. There was also a clear signal for it be more sleety in parts of the south. 

Yes, I think the Met Office did quite well really. It now seems that your area, the Chilterns and the Cotswolds did best and you might expect that with the boost of elevation. No big deal elsewhere, but that was predicted.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Retron
01 February 2019 17:53:21

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze 

I think they handled it very well. There was also a clear signal for it be more sleety in parts of the south. 

Down here they handled it awfully - every single model showed several hours of heavy snow, but in the end it was sleet and rain. All but ICON (that we have access to) showed snow on the ground, too, and GFS (for example) even initialised this morning showing much of Kent under snow, when in reality it was wet rather than white.

The everlasting Berkshire snow is another example of how rubbish the models have been - they were all showing the snow fizzling out this morning this time yesterday, yet it's been snowing all day at the wolf centre near Reading and it's still going! I'm heading there tomorrow and fully expect to see a few inches on the ground... could be a bit tricky!

Leysdown, north Kent
soperman
01 February 2019 19:02:25

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Some of the hi-res models are suggesting a bit more organised snowfall continuing tonight and even into tomorrow morning in southern parts. Eg NMM and especially HIRLAM:

http://modeles7.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam/runs/2019020106/hirlamuk-42-15-0.png?01-10

Just goes to show how bad the models can be at such short range. The action was North and West of that!

Jonesy
01 February 2019 19:24:13

Been snowing here for a couple hours. It's given a fresh dusting

Medway Towns (Kent)
The Weather will do what it wants, when it wants, no matter what data is thrown at it !
noodle doodle
01 February 2019 20:21:26
Snowing in Edinburgh. Unexpected by me at least

Winter is here
fairweather
01 February 2019 23:06:11

Temperature rising, rain here again in the S.E corner.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
doctormog
03 February 2019 09:50:19

I’m looking at precipitation moving east across Scotland and looking at the models expecting rain but hoping for snow.

Most of the high resolution models suggest at least some snow but a minority suggest rain.

Further ahead high ground inland could see some significant snowfall for a time tomorrow (and that will definitely be rain here!)

Edit: BBC forecast just now mentioned only rain and ice for today in Scotland. The word “snow” was not mentioned at all except briefly for some higher ground tomorrow, not at all for today (despite the fact that on higher ground inland out west it is currently snowing ). Oh well.

johncs2016
03 February 2019 10:18:35

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

I’m looking at precipitation moving east across Scotland and looking at the models expecting rain but hoping for snow.

Most of the high resolution models suggest at least some snow but a minority suggest rain.

Further ahead high ground inland could see some significant snowfall for a time tomorrow (and that will definitely be rain here!)

Edit: BBC forecast just now mentioned only rain and ice for today in Scotland. The word “snow” was not mentioned at all except briefly for some higher ground tomorrow, not at all for today (despite the fact that on higher ground inland out west it is currently snowing ). Oh well.

Other parts of the country may well get some snow from that but for here, it looks as though it is that minority which has been proved to be correct as it has now just started raining here in Edinburgh. That is despite the temperature getting all the way down to -6°C at Edinburgh Airport at midnight. This then leaves me even more scunnered by the fact that the temperatures shot up by so much during the early hours of this morning because had that not happened, we may well have seen a bit of snow here as well.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
doctormog
03 February 2019 10:31:15
The precipitation has reached here and currently at least is falling as snow.
johncs2016
03 February 2019 11:46:28

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

The precipitation has reached here and currently at least is falling as snow.

Well, that will at least (hopefully) keep Richard happy for a bit longer.

As for here though, it didn't even rain for long enough for that to register as actual recorded rainfall at any of my local stations (it was a case of blink and you miss it) which means we're still waiting here for the first contribution towards this month's rainfall total (as I write) which has come just from rain (what we have had so far has been from snow melt, which is quite remarkable when you consider that we haven't yet had a maximum temperature of less than 3°C at any of my three local stations during this month so far).

Since the forecasts did say that today's system would be likely to fizzle out as it pushed across the country, we can't rule out the possibility that at least some places might get nothing at all from that and just stay dry (albeit with more in the way of cloud).

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.