Rob K
10 January 2019 17:36:27

Originally Posted by: DEW 

15/16 Feb 1929 120cm in 15 hrs at Dean Prior on eastern edge of Dartmoor is reckoned the lowland record for GB

Link is to Google Books - easiest to search snowfall record dartmoor 1920..1930

Other heavy snowfalls also listed on the same page

Trevor Harley qujotes 173cm from the same spell, at Huntington Warren nearby. 

Looks like a lovely set-up: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/archive/1929/noaa/NOAA_1_1929021600_1.png

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
10 January 2019 18:01:48

Difference between the records from Dean Prior and Huntingdon Warren is altitude - the former at 100m asl. the latter at 467m. asl, so Dean Prior counts as a lowland site but not Huntingdon Warren.

There is an unofficial record of 200cm level snow from the southern edge of Dartmoor on the same date.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Rob K
10 January 2019 19:05:19
I thought 500m was the cut-off between lowland and mountain sites, as far as the Met is concerned?
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
10 January 2019 22:48:23

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

I thought 500m was the cut-off between lowland and mountain sites, as far as the Met is concerned?

Getting off-topic, so apologies ... 300m specifically quoted in the Google Books link. Can't find a MetO document with a definition of hill but Wiki gives 300m as a hill and 600m as a mountain. Up to you whether hills count as lowland - I think they don't because if there is a forecast of 'hill snow' I'd expect the Peak District, for instance to be covered, and most of the peak is below 500m (Kinder Scout excepted)

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
scillydave
10 January 2019 23:40:32
Deepest ever lying level snow for a lowland site was Tredegar in South Wales back in 1963 with 165cm - this was cummalative though rather than one from a single snow storm.
Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
Gary L
11 January 2019 07:32:11

Originally Posted by: DEW 

15/16 Feb 1929 120cm in 15 hrs at Dean Prior on eastern edge of Dartmoor is reckoned the lowland record for GB

Link is to Google Books - easiest to search snowfall record dartmoor 1920..1930

Other heavy snowfalls also listed on the same page

I thought the record was held by NE Wales, but maybe this was upland. I'll try and dig it up.

Gary L
11 January 2019 07:33:11

Originally Posted by: scillydave 

Deepest ever lying level snow for a lowland site was Tredegar in South Wales back in 1963 with 165cm - this was cummalative though rather than one from a single snow storm.

Maybe this is what I was thinking of actually.

Tim A
11 January 2019 08:00:49

Seems the SW of UK including south Wales has the best chance of 1metre plus falls looking at historic events with fronts coming up from the SW against cold air.
Not sure we could ever get a mega snowfall here in the middle of the UK. Perhaps parts of the east coast could with a persistent streamer.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Argyle77
11 January 2019 08:59:33

Trevor Harley qujotes 173cm from the same spell, at Huntington Warren nearby. 

Looks like a lovely set-up: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/archive/1929/noaa/NOAA_1_1929021600_1.png

Thats the sort of pattern the METO are talking about for later in the month and feb

Saint Snow
11 January 2019 09:43:07

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Seems the SW of UK including south Wales has the best chance of 1metre plus falls looking at historic events with fronts coming up from the SW against cold air.
Not sure we could ever get a mega snowfall here in the middle of the UK. Perhaps parts of the east coast could with a persistent streamer.

North Wales has had some mega-falls over the years.

Think there was a snow event in the 50s that gave some huge totals in NW England, whilst one of the wartime 1940s events was possibly worse (a train near here crashed into a snow drift deeper than it was tall, I read once)

And the far SE has had some massive falls from the east.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Darren S
11 January 2019 13:51:38

According to Weather Online, Rudolfshütte in Austria is now up to 349cm of snow. Looks lovely. 

https://www.bergfex.com/uttendorf-weissee/webcams/c12780/

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
marco 79
11 January 2019 14:01:53

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

According to Weather Online, Rudolfshütte in Austria is now up to 349cm of snow. Looks lovely. 

Amazing to look at....

Also the archive cam pictures show the lake in summer....

Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
Rob K
11 January 2019 14:02:16

St Anton is reporting 440cm at the summit station as of today, with another 50cm forecast on Sunday and 58cm on Monday.

Actually according to snow-forecast.com there's 189cm of new snow due between now and Monday night. Should be well over 5 metres of snow at the top of the mountain by then, even allowing for compaction.

Surrey John
11 January 2019 14:03:05

This suggests the mountain at Solden has 394cm (about 13 feet in old measurements)

https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/

and a few places now have 200cm in the Valley 

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
35m ASL
Gary L
11 January 2019 14:05:37

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Think there was a snow event in the 50s that gave some huge totals in NW England, whilst one of the wartime 1940s events was possibly worse (a train near here crashed into a snow drift deeper than it was tall, I read once)

It was only a few years ago (2013?) NE Wales picked up ~ 50cm of snow in a stalled front situation with SE winds. Not a metre plus but a decent amount.

jhall
11 January 2019 14:19:38

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Not all in one fall. but some uplands regions in the UK accumulated some considerable depths during the winters of 1946-7 and 1962-3. ISTR that we're talking of 6 feet or so as the greatest in any inhabited place.

Not of that order, but by the beginning of January 1963 we had around 37 cm of lying snow here in Cranleigh. That's probably about double the greatest depth we have had since. It came in three falls: about 17 cm on 26-27 Dec, about the same amount on 29-30 Dec (but with a lot of drifting on that occasion, making the depth difficult to assess), and another 8 cm on the evening of the 31st. I know that adds up to more than 37 cm, but though there was no visible melting I assume there must have been some compaction over that period, and maybe a bit of sublimation too, and 5 cm seems a reasonable allowance for that. As the total depth was substantially more than the maximum that my one foot school ruler could cope with, I could only measure each new fall on a previously cleared surface rather than the total depth.

Cranleigh, Surrey
Hungry Tiger
11 January 2019 14:56:05

should be some more great photos coming through this next few days.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Saint Snow
11 January 2019 15:12:19

Originally Posted by: Gary L 

It was only a few years ago (2013?) NE Wales picked up ~ 50cm of snow in a stalled front situation with SE winds. Not a metre plus but a decent amount.

Very much so. We were near Wrexham a full week afterwards, and the snow was still lying around; where it had been bulldozed in car parks, the piles were still taller than me (6') and tens of metres long.

And that was low-lying (in a NE'ly flow)

As for Central Europe, this is in the German town of Berchtesgaden

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Norseman
11 January 2019 17:43:42

St Anton is reporting 440cm at the summit station as of today, with another 50cm forecast on Sunday and 58cm on Monday.

Actually according to snow-forecast.com there's 189cm of new snow due between now and Monday night. Should be well over 5 metres of snow at the top of the mountain by then, even allowing for compaction.

I ski’ed St Anton one year in the nineties when there was 6 mtrs depth at the top. Some of our group had been out the week prior to our arrival and had virtually no skiing at all because of the avalanche risk. Like this time there were casualties in Austria from avalanches. Looks like this will be a similar event once this weekend snow arrives.

Later in our week the temps rose so there was a lot of deep slush at resort level.

Whether Idle
11 January 2019 17:59:24

Snow and Ice Covering much of the land of the northern hemisphere above 40 degrees north (but not in our longitude!) Notably far south over parts of the middle east, parts of the USA getting away with it, the cold seems very focused on Eurasia with copious snowfalls in the Alps.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.