DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
25 December 2018 07:19:18

For some years I've done a calendar for family and friends, so ths year I thought I'd pick out the weather pictures from previous years and post one each day for the 12 days of Christmas, trying (I hope) to avoid any that have been posted on TWO at other times - or maybe far enough back that you and I have forgotten!.

The first is a cover picture. After that there will be a new picture each day taking you through the seasons, added as an edit so as to keep the pictures together. Picture titles will be posted the day following the picture.

Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year to everyone!

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Cover picture, taken near Finchingfield, North Essex, August 2007. A thunderstorm had just passed through and the double rainbow was generated by a pure red sun just as it was setting.

January brings the snow - maybe ... Stane Street NE of Chichester, Jan 2010. The sheep were definitely hungry, not least because the deer (just out of shot) had come out of the woods and were eating the sheep nuts.

February - still winter. From Binsted near Alton Hants, Feb 2006. I hope the swan managed to take off before the pond got frozen over completely - but I passed that way today and there were still swans to be seen.

March - and the waters are released! Salisbury Cathedral from the Town Path, a cheat as this was Jan 2003 not Mar. The Town Path is a pedestrian causeway across the Avon's water meadows from the village of Harnham. Normally a dry-shod walk, on this occasion welly boots were needed, and only a couple of inches of freeboard even then!

April - time to look at the sky. A sundog (with a trace of a 22deg halo) - more common than rainbows according to https://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/common.htm This one was spotted at Singleton, north of Chichester, at the end of March 2007, with the sun conveniently shadowed from the camera lens. There was a very bright sundog near Alton recently, 27/12/2018, as the cirrus ice crystals drifted across.

May, Crepuscular Rays ...Taken 2006, looking from Chanctonbury Ring, one of the highest points of the Downs, across to the Isle of Wight. The rays don't actually diverge - it's a perspective effect (see the atoptics site above)

June - and summer storms appear. View from our bedroom window across to the cathedral and the storm clouds beyond. To me they look like the cartoon crocodiles in Disney's Fantasia! August 2005, since when thunderstorms have really become quite rare on the coast here.

In the height of this summer's drought, July 2018. Taken at Grange Hill while out for a walk in Purbeck with all the paths bone dry. The hills in the background are out of bounds for most of the year as they are army firing ranges - but make a superb walk on to Lulworth when they are open.

Thunderstorms and kites don't mix ...? No they don't. Some frantic winding in going on, urged on by the organisers over the loudspeakers. Portsmouth Kite Festival Bank Holiday August 2011, on Southsea Common. We made a beeline for the car after taking this photo. It was only 400m. away but we got soaked in the last 50m.

The only time I've ever seen anything like this! A roll cloud probably caused by cool air off the sea lifting moist air inland, i.e. a sea breeze origin , not connected to any thunderstorm. It was quite stable in size and position for the couple of hours we were wandering around. Emsworth Harbour, on the Hants-Sussex border, October 2013

Autumn and season of mists. Sunrise as the sun creeps over the edge of the valley on a misty morning at Upwaltham in the Downs, Nov 2005. The hamlet was described by Cardinal (later Archbishop) Manning as "only a little less beautiful than heaven".

The frosts return. Harting Downs, a few miles north of Chichester, 7 Dec 2010. TWO members in the north - as we down here call Birmingham and beyond - will note the colour of the ground, green not white, only a week after the start of the great snowfall which enveloped Britain for months ... er, maybe.

To complete the year, back to a Christmassy snow scene. Back to the start, taken in the same place near Finchingfield as the opening picture of the rainbow. But not without difficulty in persuading the robin to sit still! Dec 2005

Happy New Year to everyone -onward and upward

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
25 December 2018 07:48:13

Lovely photo and a great idea!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
25 December 2018 12:11:41

Nice Double Rainbow Image.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
27 December 2018 15:54:49

I like the February one with that streak of sunshine reflected in the water!  

David M Porter
28 December 2018 10:03:51

Great photos David!

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 January 2019 20:13:40

The February one is still my favourite, with the kite one second!  All lovely photos though!  

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 January 2019 07:03:40

All really lovely photos DEW and perfect for a calendar with a weather theme.  

My favourite remains February and the way you’ve captured the ice on the water and the reflection of the sun at that angle coming to a point.  Lovely sharp colours too!  August is dramatic and I love the colours of the kites contrasting the grey stormy sky.  You can almost see them dipping and diving to get out of the storm.   December is one that everyone has to love and says it all!  

I’ve got a countryfile calendar but yours tops it!  

Whether Idle
06 January 2019 08:23:16

Great photos and great idea well executed David.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
lanky
06 January 2019 08:30:24

Thanks for sharing a great idea for a home made calendar

My personal favourite was the sheep but the kites was a close second as I think the photo really nails the sort of light you get as the cloud rolls in

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 January 2019 08:50:19

Maybe you photographers should think about having a monthly thread for posting your weather related photos, maybe even a competition.  Just a though but a nice way to share your works of art.    

AIMSIR
06 January 2019 11:29:24

Thunderstorms and kites.

Where is Ian? btw.

He would love this.