Stephen Wilde
15 January 2011 23:45:03
Which part of 'cessation of warming trend' do you not understand ?

Where have I said there is a cooling trend ? Why is a cooling required to support a cessation of warming?

12 years of no statistically significant trend means no warming and no cooling does it not ?
Gandalf The White
16 January 2011 12:40:37

Originally Posted by: Stephen Wilde 

Which part of 'cessation of warming trend' do you not understand ?

Where have I said there is a cooling trend ? Why is a cooling required to support a cessation of warming?

12 years of no statistically significant trend means no warming and no cooling does it not ?

Which part of 'statistically significant' do you not understand?

I really don't know what point you were trying to make.  If you are suggesting that the warming trend has reached some sort of plateau then I would accept that this is what the data show at present.

The underlying implication of your posts is that we are entering a cooling phase. All I am saying is that this is not yet 'statistically significant' - your words and theories remain just that until there is a sustained reversal of the last decades of warming.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Marcus P
21 January 2011 15:39:10

Originally Posted by: TomC 

Ever heard of the Met Office ? Here is a start for you

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate-change/guide/science/explained/temp-records

Thankyou. Still nothing very specific there about errors, though I acknowledge the HadCRUT3 series has a grey margin on the graph - a start.

Perhaps you can explain better than me how to reconcile the Met Office statement (from your kindly provided link) "Global records go back about 160 years, giving a long period from which to draw conclusions about how our climate is changing" with their other recent assertion that the "national series" of temperature records goes back only to 1910? You'd think some sort of comparison with previous data would have been possible and desirable after the extreme December. The (no doubt unintentional) implication is that we don't have the level of confidence about UK climate records over such a length of time as we do with global records! All this is, again of course, because of (unspecified) accuracy and (undeclared) error margins.

Gandalf The White
21 January 2011 15:59:30

Originally Posted by: Marcus P 

Perhaps you can explain better than me how to reconcile the Met Office statement (from your kindly provided link) "Global records go back about 160 years, giving a long period from which to draw conclusions about how our climate is changing" with their other recent assertion that the "national series" of temperature records goes back only to 1910? You'd think some sort of comparison with previous data would have been possible and desirable after the extreme December. The (no doubt unintentional) implication is that we don't have the level of confidence about UK climate records over such a length of time as we do with global records! All this is, again of course, because of (unspecified) accuracy and (undeclared) error margins.

Well, the CET records go back to 1659.  Maybe the reference to 1910 is for England and Wales?

CET data is freely available on the internet and you can track the warming and cooling phases and the overall warming trend.  Even with a margin for error I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Of course, what happens here is not necessarily representative of global trends.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Stu N
21 January 2011 17:33:26

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White 

Well, the CET records go back to 1659.  Maybe the reference to 1910 is for England and Wales?

CET data is freely available on the internet and you can track the warming and cooling phases and the overall warming trend.  Even with a margin for error I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Of course, what happens here is not necessarily representative of global trends.

Actually I read that 1910 is for the UK as a whole. I don't know which statement carries more impact, that 'it was the coldest December since UK records began in 1910' or that 'it was the second coldest December since Central England records began 1659'. They are both true, with all the requisite statements about uncertainty, but I think it was probably said that way because it was extremely cold in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland too (NI probably had the biggest departure from normal) so it covers more geographically.

Gandalf The White
21 January 2011 18:12:40

Originally Posted by: Stu N 

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White 

Actually I read that 1910 is for the UK as a whole. I don't know which statement carries more impact, that 'it was the coldest December since UK records began in 1910' or that 'it was the second coldest December since Central England records began 1659'. They are both true, with all the requisite statements about uncertainty, but I think it was probably said that way because it was extremely cold in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland too (NI probably had the biggest departure from normal) so it covers more geographically.

Hi Stu, I'm sure that's correct - but I don't think that was the thrust of the point Marcus was making.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
23 January 2011 22:57:21
Robertski
23 January 2011 23:30:53

Originally Posted by: four 

Oh Dear

Indeed and not surprising....

Stu N
23 January 2011 23:53:42

Not even sure what I'm looking at there. Got any blurb to go with that, Four?

Also, want to engage in the 'video' thread I started, or is Gandalf's assessment of you correct?

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
24 January 2011 00:01:09

I assume you have discovered some blog site with a detailed plan of attack - with endless links to sites behind paywalls -  so decline to humour you

The above shows a projected temp graph asssuming the present strong La Nina affects global temperatures much like the earlier one.
I thought it self explanatory.

Gray-Wolf
24 January 2011 07:57:52

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110123131014.htm

http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/11012305-researchers-find-smoking-gun-world-biggest-extinction.html

Well who'd have believed it? Burning coal (and the GHG's pumped out) could lead to run-away warming........

Good job we are not about to do the same eh?..............

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
24 January 2011 08:21:31

Doesn't that talk about problems from coal ash and hardly mention CO2?
We aren't knee deep in coal ash last time I checked.

Gray-Wolf
24 January 2011 08:43:48

C'mon 4WD!

How many of the towns near you have had their buildings sand blasted to remove the centuries of smoke?

Why did 'Bin waggons' used to be called 'ash carts'?, why do comp's buy ash from Coal stations for making fake stone etc.???

What would it be like if the areas producing didn't 'clean up after themselves'?

And where is all that 'soot' that some folk cite for melting the Arctic/Glaciers/Ice sheets come from???

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
24 January 2011 08:52:36

Ermmm... none round here. The sooty stone effect is mostly localised in urban areas, not a global effect.
We are burning coal in a relatively clean way these days.
You can't make a meaningful comparison to uncontrolled burning ignited by volcanoes.
It's silly.

Gray-Wolf
24 January 2011 09:52:58

So , we get to the end of the carboniferous (and the majority of the coal measures are laid down) and one coal field is torched due to volcanics. We get to the Industrial revolution and how many coal fields do we start to mine?

When I look at some of the 'open cast' operations my mind boggles at the scale of things. When I look at the Chinese figures for extraction and burning my mind boggles.

If we look at the area of the Siberian traps and compare that to the area we have extracted since 1850 alone I think you'll see that we have taken a far greater area out than that impacted by the Late Permian event?

Then we move onto oil and natural gas (on top od the Coal usage).

As for not mentioning GHG's;

"Previous researchers have suggested massive volcanic eruptions through coal beds in Siberia would generate significant greenhouse gases causing run away global warming.

"Our research is the first to show direct evidence that massive volcanic eruptions -- the largest the world has ever witnessed -caused massive coal combustion thus supporting models for significant generation of greenhouse gases at this time,"

The info is out there 4WD so the good folk on the board can decide themselves what is 'Foolish' and what is not?

Koyaanisqatsi
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
24 January 2011 10:04:43

Have you been looking at some of those extremist sites that scream about death trains taking coal to power stations?
You'll make yourself ill with all the self loathing and hate they spew.

Gray-Wolf
24 January 2011 10:14:23

Originally Posted by: four 

Have you been looking at some of those extremist sites that scream about death trains taking coal to power stations?
You'll make yourself ill with all the self loathing and hate they spew.

You've seen the links I've posted? Kinda think they are 'mainstream' really? I would not know where to look for 'extremeinst sites' really, the closest I think I get is WUWT?

As for self loathing? I knida like myself thank you very much!

'Spewing Hate'? I think I must have forgotten that so I'll ask you for a reminder of it please?

Koyaanisqatsi
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
24 January 2011 10:27:24

Originally Posted by: Gray-Wolf 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110123131014.htm

http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/11012305-researchers-find-smoking-gun-world-biggest-extinction.html

Well who'd have believed it? Burning coal (and the GHG's pumped out) could lead to run-away warming........

Good job we are not about to do the same eh?..............

You posted these then drew a conclusion about runaway warming which is not mentioned in the links.

Gray-Wolf
24 January 2011 10:41:24

"Previous researchers have suggested massive volcanic eruptions through coal beds in Siberia would generate significant greenhouse gases causing run away global warming."

From the S.D. article

"Unlike end of dinosaurs, 65 million years ago, where there is widespread belief that the impact of a meteorite was at least the partial cause, it is unclear what caused the late Permian extinction. Previous researchers have suggested massive volcanic eruptions through coal beds in Siberia would generate significant greenhouse gases causing run away global warming."

From the S.C. site

?

Koyaanisqatsi
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
Stu N
24 January 2011 10:59:35

Originally Posted by: Gray-Wolf 

"Previous researchers have suggested massive volcanic eruptions through coal beds in Siberia would generate significant greenhouse gases causing run away global warming."

From the S.D. article

"Unlike end of dinosaurs, 65 million years ago, where there is widespread belief that the impact of a meteorite was at least the partial cause, it is unclear what caused the late Permian extinction. Previous researchers have suggested massive volcanic eruptions through coal beds in Siberia would generate significant greenhouse gases causing run away global warming."

From the S.C. site

?

Wow. Try reading what is actually in the links next time, Four.

I do have a minor quibble, which is how do they define run away global warming? Clearly it stops at some point.