Saint Snow
18 January 2019 09:36:38

I see the models are doing their best to fulfil my doomsday scenario, with the Tue/Wed 'event' more likely to deliver rain and not snow, then afterwards the snow focus shifts to the fecking east.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Arcus
18 January 2019 10:08:36

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I see the models are doing their best to fulfil my doomsday scenario, with the Tue/Wed 'event' more likely to deliver rain and not snow, then afterwards the snow focus shifts to the fecking east.

Once the cold front's through it looks like a chilly unstable NW'ly, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

You should run a Casserole Pot Size Index for this cold spell Saint, to help measure the extent of your prospective dumplings.

Sorry. 

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2019 11:45:26

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Thought so. You have been unlucky to live through the least snowiest decades of the last hundred years. The good news is you are still young so you have time on your side to get to see conditions pre- 1980 ish. The last decade was better than the previous two. if you get a chance read Leo Bonacina's year by year account of UK snowfalls. https://durhamweather.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/bonacina.html

Thanks very much for that link, fairweather.  I had a read through and was reminded of several snowy times, and managed to date some that I couldn't remember exactly when they happened.

Now, as this is a moaning thread (and bearing in mind my heating bills)... it looks as though it's going to stay colder than average for quite a while, and we might have lots of snow. ...........

Still, I never go in for hopecasting. The weather will do what the weather will do.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Saint Snow
18 January 2019 11:53:55

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Once the cold front's through it looks like a chilly unstable NW'ly, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

You should run a Casserole Pot Size Index for this cold spell Saint, to help measure the extent of your prospective dumplings.

Sorry. 

Hoping I'll need one of these....

Fearing, it'll be just one of these...

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
fairweather
18 January 2019 12:34:28

I think this thread might start attracting mild winter lovers soon. 

S.Essex, 42m ASL
johncs2016
18 January 2019 12:36:42

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

I think this thread might start attracting mild winter lovers soon. 

Yes, I'm guessing that Bolty might be on here before too long if we get any snow since I know that this isn't exactly his favourite type of weather.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
tallyho_83
18 January 2019 17:59:31

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Yet another embarrassingly lame and pathetic 'dry' northerly. These type of synoptics used to produce frequent heavy snow showers that might add up to about 5cm over a day or so. Now it's weak infrequent snizzly showers and a depth of 2cm that doesn't even completely cover grass 

Worse still it's thawed out and turned to sludge with no top up throughout the day and non-cold temperatures.  More than two hours after sunset it's still above freezing 

A desperate state of affairs when this is what a cold spell in the midst of winter brings. The biggest joke is this may well be the only snowfall this nightmare of a winter produces. As if the past two months haven't been bad enough it looks like getting even worse. All I'm seeing over the weekend and next week are utterly depressing grey skies, rain and vile temperatures of 3-5C 

At least Aberdeen got something although 2cm's isn't anything to write home about! That's pretty lame - I thought you'd had more from that northerly with snow showers feeding in one after the other last night??

If I rightly remember you got 5cms of snow end of November 2017?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

telemarker
18 January 2019 18:16:01
The sad thing is the 2cm of snow in Aberdeen was enough to cause gridlock on the roads during the morning rush hour and multiple RTC’s....
And Poorly prepared motorists to blame lack of gritters..

Went XC skiing today at Clashindarroch forest near Huntly, in Aberdeenshire, empty snow covered roads and upto 15cm snow in the forest
tallyho_83
18 January 2019 18:54:50

Originally Posted by: telemarker 

The sad thing is the 2cm of snow in Aberdeen was enough to cause gridlock on the roads during the morning rush hour and multiple RTC’s....
And Poorly prepared motorists to blame lack of gritters..

Went XC skiing today at Clashindarroch forest near Huntly, in Aberdeenshire, empty snow covered roads and upto 15cm snow in the forest

That's something better than nothing - although Exeter had 6 to 7" during storm Emma in space of 6 hours on 1st March 2018.

At least you'll get plenty more in due course.

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Solar Cycles
19 January 2019 08:58:43
Another grey sunless day to go with the other 46 days of the same old same old.
ARTzeman
19 January 2019 10:58:39

Another no snow day for PSJ.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
johncs2016
19 January 2019 11:09:50

This post could well have belonged to the MOD thread, but I believe that this was the right place for that instead.

From what I am reading in the MO thread about the latest downgrades in the model output for any upcoming cold spell, I can see now that the whole concept of model watching is a complete waste of time since the weather will always end up doing what it is going to do anyway, regardless of what the model output is telling us about that in advance.

Even within that branch of model watching though, there is a concept known as persistence which tells us that if we have had the same weather pattern for quite a long period of time, the most favoured outcome is that this same weather pattern will then remain in place since that is how it normally is anyway. In order for that to change, something very major would need to happen within the atmosphere in order to force that change and recent experience has shown that this is not something which actually happens all that often.

To me, this so-called "winter" falls into exactly that same scenario because we have been now been having to endure such a massive borefest for so long now, that the concept of persistence tells us that the rest of this winter is more likely to just continue in that same fashion, unless something very major happens which will be powerful enough to change that. I believe that the lack of any sort of "winter" until now is due to the sudden switch to a westerly QBO and the manner in which the Atlantic sea surface temperatures are currently set up to favour a positive NAO.

That has resulted in a much stronger Azores High than what we would like to be seeing at this time of year to such an extent that all concepts of any "actual" weather have been more or less wiped out here altogether, this making for a very boring and uninteresting winter overall and although we have have just had a SSW event, I don't believe that this on its own will be strong enough to overcome those other factors which I have just mentioned (after all, it is not every single SSW event which leads to any really cold weather after that).

Some of you might recall that some time ago, I had thoughts about seriously leaving this forum altogether and in response to that, Caz made a very good point in another thread that I should continue to be part of this forum since I have a very strong interest in the weather which this forum helps me to put into practice. However, this is a weather forum (even though there are other forums on this site for dealing with other subjects such as sport and politics) which means that there would be no point in me being part of this forum if I wasn't interested in the weather in any way.

My thinking now is that if I were to ever leave this forum (hopefully though, I never will), it would probably now be due to the fact that I am no longer interested in the weather rather than being due to the actions of anyone on this forum. Hopefully, it will never actually come to that, but I have to say that the longer this current borefest goes on with nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather actually happening, the more that my actual interest in the weather is gradually being ebbed away as a result because at the end of the day, it is pointless being interesting in something which nothing ever happens, which is the way that our weather in this part of the world has increasingly become in recent times.

This means that the longer that this drags on, there then becomes more and more of a danger that this lack of any actual weather in this part of the world could end up draining away my overall interest in the weather to the point where I then end up leaving this forum as a result. Once again, I will stress that I hope that it will never actually come to that but at the end of the day, something needs to change with our weather soon, in order to stop that from happening. Let's just hope that at some point in time, the weather might actually get interesting again so that I remain interested enough in it to continue to be as valuable a member of this forum as possible in the longer term although with the way that it's looking just now, I wouldn't exactly bank on that happening.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Jonesy
19 January 2019 13:15:20

Longest post of the year award goes to John ^^^^ 

My moan is about people that moan about the MO thread during Winter when it doesn't give them the 2 foot of snow they want.

P.S Where is my Snow  its just cold and dull, prefer it cold and sunny 

Medway Towns (Kent)
The Weather will do what it wants, when it wants, no matter what data is thrown at it !
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
19 January 2019 13:28:50

My moan is that I keep seeing cars covered with snow and all I have is a wet pavement!  Where are the coming from?  Snow can’t have been far away for there to be so much being commuted in!   

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Solar Cycles
19 January 2019 14:02:20
Tick Tock. 😜
Chunky Pea
19 January 2019 14:25:38

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

This post could well have belonged to the MOD thread, but I believe that this was the right place for that instead.

From what I am reading in the MO thread about the latest downgrades in the model output for any upcoming cold spell, I can see now that the whole concept of model watching is a complete waste of time since the weather will always end up doing what it is going to do anyway, regardless of what the model output is telling us about that in advance.

Even within that branch of model watching though, there is a concept known as persistence which tells us that if we have had the same weather pattern for quite a long period of time, the most favoured outcome is that this same weather pattern will then remain in place since that is how it normally is anyway. In order for that to change, something very major would need to happen within the atmosphere in order to force that change and recent experience has shown that this is not something which actually happens all that often.

To me, this so-called "winter" falls into exactly that same scenario because we have been now been having to endure such a massive borefest for so long now, that the concept of persistence tells us that the rest of this winter is more likely to just continue in that same fashion, unless something very major happens which will be powerful enough to change that. I believe that the lack of any sort of "winter" until now is due to the sudden switch to a westerly QBO and the manner in which the Atlantic sea surface temperatures are currently set up to favour a positive NAO.

That has resulted in a much stronger Azores High than what we would like to be seeing at this time of year to such an extent that all concepts of any "actual" weather have been more or less wiped out here altogether, this making for a very boring and uninteresting winter overall and although we have have just had a SSW event, I don't believe that this on its own will be strong enough to overcome those other factors which I have just mentioned (after all, it is not every single SSW event which leads to any really cold weather after that).

Some of you might recall that some time ago, I had thoughts about seriously leaving this forum altogether and in response to that, Caz made a very good point in another thread that I should continue to be part of this forum since I have a very strong interest in the weather which this forum helps me to put into practice. However, this is a weather forum (even though there are other forums on this site for dealing with other subjects such as sport and politics) which means that there would be no point in me being part of this forum if I wasn't interested in the weather in any way.

My thinking now is that if I were to ever leave this forum (hopefully though, I never will), it would probably now be due to the fact that I am no longer interested in the weather rather than being due to the actions of anyone on this forum. Hopefully, it will never actually come to that, but I have to say that the longer this current borefest goes on with nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather actually happening, the more that my actual interest in the weather is gradually being ebbed away as a result because at the end of the day, it is pointless being interesting in something which nothing ever happens, which is the way that our weather in this part of the world has increasingly become in recent times.

This means that the longer that this drags on, there then becomes more and more of a danger that this lack of any actual weather in this part of the world could end up draining away my overall interest in the weather to the point where I then end up leaving this forum as a result. Once again, I will stress that I hope that it will never actually come to that but at the end of the day, something needs to change with our weather soon, in order to stop that from happening. Let's just hope that at some point in time, the weather might actually get interesting again so that I remain interested enough in it to continue to be as valuable a member of this forum as possible in the longer term although with the way that it's looking just now, I wouldn't exactly bank on that happening.

Just keep in mind one thing John, you don't suffer alone. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
UncleAlbert
20 January 2019 01:19:30

I don't know if the point I am going to make has been mentioned before, but I have been weather and model watching for 60 years ..... going back to the days when models were always FI at 48 hours.  My gripe is that of last week in January.  A lot has been made about the epic start to the 47 winter.  However I can say from my perspective that in the West Country there has been no major snowfalls in my area during that week since 1958.  Even 1963 and 1978 did not produce much significant snow at this time.  The much lauded 'thundersnow' of 2004 only produced a patchy half an inch.  May be some of my fellow Victor Meldrews of the weather scene down here in the south could back me up on this.....

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
20 January 2019 08:12:15

Back from a break when I didn't do much model watching but it still looks like jam tomorrow - interesting wintry model outputs all still 10 days away

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
richardabdn
20 January 2019 12:21:38

Winter used to be the most interesting season of the year here. Now I can't think of a single good thing to say about it. It's just a torturous ordeal that sucks the life out of you.

With yet another weekend in which I'm being denied the opportunity to do the things I enjoy, I thought I'd have a look at the statistics to see just how bad things have got.

The eight winters from 2005/06 to 2012/13 were a fairly representative mix of what you should reasonably expect to get here. There were the two very snowy winters of 09/10 and 10/11 alongside utter rubbish like 06/07, 07/08 and 11/12. The rest in between. Those eight winters recorded a total of 173 days with snow lying, an average of 21.8 per winter. Of those an average of 14.1 days recorded a depth of at least 5cm and 8.3 days at least 10cm. The average depth per snow lying day was 8.7cm

Compare that to the six winters since - a total of 56 days lying to give an average of only 9.3 per winter. Most shocking is the complete lack of depth. Most of the falls have been like the insulting and pointless rubbish we got this week. Just 14 days have recorded 5cm - less than the average per winter previously - while not a single day has managed 10cm. The max has been just 8cm which is less than the average depth for the previous eight winters. It's awful without precedent. Average depth of just 2.9 cm per snow lying day.

This is why this run of winters is so much worse than the 90s. The days of snow lying are about the same but back in the 90s the snow that fell packed a punch with several heavy but brief falls that soon melted e.g. 20cm at the end of February 1993 that was gone in a few days. So much better than useless 2cm falls that are just a complete waste of time but we have scarcely had anything better over the past six years 

This month is the pits. Not just lacking in wintry weather but so boring, dreary and depressing with rotten weekends. One of the least photogenic months I can recall. Could well be heading toward the first January since the worse than putrid 1996 when not a single day managed 6 hours sun. The best so far is just 5.4 hours way back on the 3rd.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Shropshire
20 January 2019 12:54:46

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Back from a break when I didn't do much model watching but it still looks like jam tomorrow - interesting wintry model outputs all still 10 days away

From December 27th 2020, zonality will be banned from mixing with the UK. We appreciate that this may come as a shock to younger people and old Uncle Barty. This ban will last for a minimum of ten days.