Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

17 Pages«<151617
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DEW  
#321 Posted : 14 July 2019 06:34:53(UTC)
DEW

Man

Originally Posted by: Retron Go to Quoted Post

On the back, several feet in front of me, was written: "No mowing! No weeding! No feeding!". Notwithstanding the fact that aside from the odd thistle I've never weeded the lawn and I've certainly never fed it, they could have added more... "No wildlife! No flood prevention! No good!"

I've been straining to be tactful to some new neighbours who have completely paved their back garden. I suppose I could shop them to Southern Water as they've directed the run-off into the main drain and not the existing soakaway.

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys
Offline Northern Sky  
#322 Posted : 15 July 2019 12:29:11(UTC)
Northern Sky

More from Dave Goulson and something that is new to me and absolutely shocking.  - http://www.pan-uk.org/pesticides-found-in-bee-friendly-plants/?fbclid=IwAR2vYqEVz95e-59-KUe92m2PPFvg4pNmTo6ApwJoVbYnFHIojnX_afRahok

Garden centres selling "bee friendly" plants that are soaked in pesticides. It's absolute madness

I bought some lavender plants earlier this year, all now in full flower and not a bee or butterfly on them. I'm presuming this is why?

Surely there should be a campaign to stop this?

I wonder how long the pesticides stay in the plant, will it become safe over time?

Offline Roger Parsons  
#323 Posted : 19 July 2019 10:15:35(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: Northern Sky Go to Quoted Post

I bought some lavender plants earlier this year, all now in full flower and not a bee or butterfly on them.

We were having tea the the garden of some old friends yesterday - he is warden of a major nature reserve and she has been promoting wildlife gardening for many years. Not a butterfly to be seen. They can't explain why and are still hoping for a late appearance. They are less than a mile from our simple garden with sightings such as Hummingbird Hawkmoth, Holly Blue, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Painted Lady and several Bumblebee species. To look at their garden you would think it a perfect wildlife garden. I think you and Bert can extract some consolation from this story - sometimes it just happens like that despite one's best efforts - perhaps "due to circumstances beyond your control". Perhaps next week's projected hot days will kick start emergence once more.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".
Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)
Offline Northern Sky  
#324 Posted : 19 July 2019 16:10:28(UTC)
Northern Sky

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post

We were having tea the the garden of some old friends yesterday - he is warden of a major nature reserve and she has been promoting wildlife gardening for many years. Not a butterfly to be seen. They can't explain why and are still hoping for a late appearance. They are less than a mile from our simple garden with sightings such as Hummingbird Hawkmoth, Holly Blue, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Painted Lady and several Bumblebee species. To look at their garden you would think it a perfect wildlife garden. I think you and Bert can extract some consolation from this story - sometimes it just happens like that despite one's best efforts - perhaps "due to circumstances beyond your control". Perhaps next week's projected hot days will kick start emergence once more.

Roger

The thing is Roger we have butterflies and bees in the garden on other plants but not on the lavender. It's that which makes me suspicious.

I wonder if there has been other research with similar findings?