Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

36 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline haghir22  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2018 10:37:12(UTC)
haghir22

Man

Three weeks to go!!!!

So, as most Liverpool fans are accused of saying this every year, I for once am going to say it.....This year is our year!!!

Edited by moderator 10 August 2018 21:00:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

YNWA
Online SEMerc  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2018 10:50:10(UTC)
SEMerc

Originally Posted by: haghir22 Go to Quoted Post

Three weeks to go!!!!

So, as most Liverpool fans are accused of saying this every year, I for once am going to say it.....This year is our year!!!

Poor old Lovren. Champions League losing finalist, World Cup losing finalist. 

#People'sVoteforStreatham
#People'sVoteforBroxtowe

#JusticeforStreatham
#JusticeforBroxtowe
Online Saint Snow  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2018 10:52:33(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Originally Posted by: SEMerc Go to Quoted Post

I know. He must look at Harry Kane and weep.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01

UserPostedImage

Online SEMerc  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2018 11:05:11(UTC)
SEMerc

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow Go to Quoted Post

I know. He must look at Harry Kane and weep.

I'm sure he is.

Image result for World Cup Golden Boot Trophy

#People'sVoteforBroxtowe

#JusticeforStreatham
#JusticeforBroxtowe
Online Saint Snow  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2018 13:22:54(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

I'm sure he is.

Image result for World Cup Golden Boot Trophy

Well if Kane is all about personal accolades...

(I think Kane also now holds the record for 'Covering the least distance in the act of winning the Golden Boot' - most of his movement in the World Cup comprised of his penalty run-ups)

Martin

UserPostedImage

Offline haghir22  
#6 Posted : 17 July 2018 15:10:58(UTC)
haghir22

Man

£62mill

Your thoughts Saint?

YNWA
Offline speckledjim  
#7 Posted : 17 July 2018 15:57:51(UTC)
speckledjim

And not forgetting Karius who still seems to be concussed after his 2nd pre season error 

It is better to play than do nothing
Online SEMerc  
#8 Posted : 17 July 2018 16:07:58(UTC)
SEMerc

Originally Posted by: speckledjim Go to Quoted Post

And not forgetting Karius who still seems to be concussed after his 2nd pre season error 

Indeed. And it looks as if Klippety has emerged from his own form of concussion after the Dippers reportedly offer Roma £62m for Allison.

Edited by user 17 July 2018 16:14:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#People'sVoteforBroxtowe

#JusticeforStreatham
#JusticeforBroxtowe
Online Saint Snow  
#9 Posted : 17 July 2018 16:35:40(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

£62mill

Your thoughts Saint?

For Klopp's playing style, with a very high defensive line, we need a certain type of keeper - a sweeper-keeper with great distribution. For all that de Gea, for example, is a brilliant reactive shot-stopper, he'd be swamped at Liverpool under Klopp because he stays on his line (look how rubbish he was for Spain, who also play a higher defensive line) and is pretty poor on crosses (as in, he doesn't come for many - watch for it next season). Oblak is similar (and with a buy-out fee bigger than the £62m we've reportedly bid for Alisson)

For all the stick Karius gets, he excels in the role, and was actually brilliant in the second half of last season. This after being voted the second best keeper in the Bundesliga (behind Neuer) in the season before we signed him. The lad's got talent, but I think the feeling is that we can improve.

I think we did a lot of groundwork on Alisson by last January, but signing him then wasn't possible and Karius' subsequent form made us think twice - especially with Roma seeking to price Alisson out of a move once the speculation started.

The problem is, I've got big doubts about Alisson. He's had some shockers - including against us in the Champs League semi final, where he was poor overall.

But the CL final has changed everything (that cheating, dirty tw*t Ramos again). There's undoubtedly a far bigger focus on Liverpool keepers by both fans and the media, who will leap on any error and amplify it, way more than they do about errors from other keepers. Goes back to David James at least. And Karius made two howlers on the biggest stage of all. No matter that he had concussion, he's been vilified.

I was happy to give him another chance this season, but he's been making schoolboy errors in games and it looks like his nerve's gone. It's something we could probably resolve over time - but we don't have that time with the new season upon us, and to have a choice of a shell-shocked Karius, a Mignolet who is just wrong for our system, and an untried Ward is, it would, seem, a gamble that it's been decided we cannot take.

One area where Alisson does have a massive mark-up on Karius is his self-belief and confidence. Seems the kind of guy who could take the pressure of being a Liverpool keeper with all the microscope-focus that that brings, and not let the odd error play on his mind.

But £62m?

That's insane.

Martin

UserPostedImage

Online Saint Snow  
#10 Posted : 17 July 2018 18:35:38(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Saying that, I think Chelsea are more likely to sign him, as a replacement for Courtois who's moving to Real Madrid by all accounts.

Martin

UserPostedImage

Online Saint Snow  
#11 Posted : 17 July 2018 20:53:09(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Oh, and Brewster has today finally - FINALLY - signed that pro contract with us.

TFFT.

Martin

UserPostedImage

Offline haghir22  
#12 Posted : 17 July 2018 21:09:48(UTC)
haghir22

Man

For Klopp's playing style, with a very high defensive line, we need a certain type of keeper - a sweeper-keeper with great distribution. For all that de Gea, for example, is a brilliant reactive shot-stopper, he'd be swamped at Liverpool under Klopp because he stays on his line (look how rubbish he was for Spain, who also play a higher defensive line) and is pretty poor on crosses (as in, he doesn't come for many - watch for it next season). Oblak is similar (and with a buy-out fee bigger than the £62m we've reportedly bid for Alisson)

For all the stick Karius gets, he excels in the role, and was actually brilliant in the second half of last season. This after being voted the second best keeper in the Bundesliga (behind Neuer) in the season before we signed him. The lad's got talent, but I think the feeling is that we can improve.

I think we did a lot of groundwork on Alisson by last January, but signing him then wasn't possible and Karius' subsequent form made us think twice - especially with Roma seeking to price Alisson out of a move once the speculation started.

The problem is, I've got big doubts about Alisson. He's had some shockers - including against us in the Champs League semi final, where he was poor overall.

But the CL final has changed everything (that cheating, dirty tw*t Ramos again). There's undoubtedly a far bigger focus on Liverpool keepers by both fans and the media, who will leap on any error and amplify it, way more than they do about errors from other keepers. Goes back to David James at least. And Karius made two howlers on the biggest stage of all. No matter that he had concussion, he's been vilified.

I was happy to give him another chance this season, but he's been making schoolboy errors in games and it looks like his nerve's gone. It's something we could probably resolve over time - but we don't have that time with the new season upon us, and to have a choice of a shell-shocked Karius, a Mignolet who is just wrong for our system, and an untried Ward is, it would, seem, a gamble that it's been decided we cannot take.

One area where Alisson does have a massive mark-up on Karius is his self-belief and confidence. Seems the kind of guy who could take the pressure of being a Liverpool keeper with all the microscope-focus that that brings, and not let the odd error play on his mind.

But £62m?

That's insane.

Great reply! Thanks. I feel sorry for Danny Ward as he’s been superb when out on loan (admittedly in lower leagues) but Klopp clearly doesn’t see him as the answer. If we can recoup 15/20mill for both Karius and Mignolet then it makes sense. However with Courtois reportedly going for virtually half of what Alisson will cost I am rather shocked. Would rather have bid £25/30 for Butland?

YNWA
Online SEMerc  
#13 Posted : 18 July 2018 03:52:33(UTC)
SEMerc

God, some of the rumours from (fairly) reputable sources.

My favourite?

Has to be Courtois + Hazard to Real Madrid for 160m euros. Courtois valued at 35m euros is plausible, Hazard at 125m most definitely isn't; he's significantly worth more than that in this market.

Better still, the Chavs have reportedly narrowed their list of replacements down to Schmeichel and Cech. Yes Cech.

If these two deals come off I will probably die from laughter.

#People'sVoteforBroxtowe

#JusticeforStreatham
#JusticeforBroxtowe
Online Saint Snow  
#14 Posted : 18 July 2018 15:10:47(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Great reply! Thanks. I feel sorry for Danny Ward as he’s been superb when out on loan (admittedly in lower leagues) but Klopp clearly doesn’t see him as the answer. If we can recoup 15/20mill for both Karius and Mignolet then it makes sense. However with Courtois reportedly going for virtually half of what Alisson will cost I am rather shocked. Would rather have bid £25/30 for Butland?

Apparently deal done at £66m

I suspect Liverpool might have been feeling a little guilty towards Roma, given we pulled their pants down on the Salah deal.

Courtois is allegedly going for £31m - but this is distorted by the fact that he's entering the final year of his contract, and also that he only wants to move to Madrid (as his ex-wife and their children live there)

Butland? No thanks. Apart from the fact he's not a sweeper-keeper, did you see the howlers he came up with last season? If Karius would have done that, we'd have had the media permanently plastering pictures of him in a clown suit, whilst the Anfield 'faithful' would be trying to literally lynch him from the Shankly Gates.

I had big hopes for Ward, and his performances for Aberdeen showed huge promise. Huddersfield loved him in the promotion season (although his metrics weren't actually great). He could still develop into a very good goalkeeper - but he suffers again from the 'not an ideal Klopp keeper' syndrome.

I know I keep going on about it, and there's an argument that a great keeper is a great keeper and their primary role is to save shots/headers. But it's like if you're set up to attack with two line-hugging wingers who ping superb crosses in and you're looking for a new centre forward; you don't then sign a 5'9" attacker - even if they have the ball-at-feet skills of a Messi. You sign someone in the Shearer mould, who'll get their head on the crosses.

What I love about Klopp is that he has a vision of how he wants to play, and he signs the players suited to that style after huge levels of scouting and studying reports on playing style. For too long we had a scattergun approach, signing players that came available (at the right price), then either trying to mould them into a playing system or adapting a system to suit them (and leaving other players ill-suited).

If we can get Fekir, then I think we have a squad that will challenge for the title (if we don't then I think we'll need some luck with injuries)

Martin

UserPostedImage

Online Saint Snow  
#15 Posted : 18 July 2018 15:40:24(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

To add, Liverpool's net spending over the past two seasons has been something like -£80m (that's minus £80m). Even before that, the net spend since FSG took over has been something like £20m/season. Buttons in today's footballing world.

So this year it's nice to have a splurge, and on proven quality. If we do get Fekir for the fee reported, it'll be around £200m

That's a net spend of only £40m/season over the past 3 years. And the quality of both the team and the squad has increased immeasurably - to give you an idea, the following players made more than 10 appearances in the 2014/15 season: Sakho, Lazar Markovic, Kolo Toure, Rickie Lambert, Fabio Borini, and.... Mario Balotelli.

So for a negative net outlay (and having club legend Gerrard retire), Klopp has taken us to the CL final and two top-4 finishes.

Martin

UserPostedImage

Offline speckledjim  
#16 Posted : 18 July 2018 16:55:42(UTC)
speckledjim

To add, Liverpool's net spending over the past two seasons has been something like -£80m (that's minus £80m). Even before that, the net spend since FSG took over has been something like £20m/season. Buttons in today's footballing world.

So this year it's nice to have a splurge, and on proven quality. If we do get Fekir for the fee reported, it'll be around £200m

That's a net spend of only £40m/season over the past 3 years. And the quality of both the team and the squad has increased immeasurably - to give you an idea, the following players made more than 10 appearances in the 2014/15 season: Sakho, Lazar Markovic, Kolo Toure, Rickie Lambert, Fabio Borini, and.... Mario Balotelli.

So for a negative net outlay (and having club legend Gerrard retire), Klopp has taken us to the CL final and two top-4 finishes.

Very good finances then but Liverpool need to start winning competitions again. Nothing of any note for 12 years 

It is better to play than do nothing
Online Saint Snow  
#17 Posted : 18 July 2018 19:04:42(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Originally Posted by: speckledjim Go to Quoted Post

Very good finances then but Liverpool need to start winning competitions again. Nothing of any note for 12 years 

Absolutely. 

And the bad news for us is that AOC is out for possibly all next season. He was unexpectedly brilliant for us last season and will be a big miss. We need Fekir for sure now.

Martin

UserPostedImage

Online Saint Snow  
#18 Posted : 19 July 2018 10:46:48(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Man U have launched their new kit, and a proper replica costs £110.

Bloody hell!

You can get a copy in a different, cheaper material for 'just' £65.

The Glazers continuing to leverage every last quid out of Man U fans.

Martin

UserPostedImage

Online Saint Snow  
#19 Posted : 19 July 2018 11:28:50(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Great reply! Thanks. I feel sorry for Danny Ward as he’s been superb when out on loan (admittedly in lower leagues) but Klopp clearly doesn’t see him as the answer. If we can recoup 15/20mill for both Karius and Mignolet then it makes sense.

Ward off to Leicester, apparently.

Puts a question mark over Schmeichel, with him being reported as a target for Chelsea to replace Courtois.

Martin

UserPostedImage

Online SEMerc  
#20 Posted : 19 July 2018 14:13:17(UTC)
SEMerc

Says it all really.

#People'sVoteforBroxtowe

#JusticeforStreatham
#JusticeforBroxtowe