speckledjim
20 June 2018 11:45:34
cloudy, 19c
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
P+ve Giant
20 June 2018 12:51:56

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Rather cloudy, although it does look like it is trying to brighten up (increasing light levels). However, it's still feeling rather cool and fresh at 15.8 C despite the 91% H under a light south west breeze

Greetings, Ian! I think the cold front has just rattled through here - a sudden increase in winds to a strong and gusty WNW'ly, now quietened down again. Slight drizzle, 17.5 C @ 82% RH and pressure @ 1018mb/hpa. 

John.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
20 June 2018 13:01:11
Another muggy and cloudy day in London. A rather boring 23C. Actually looking forward to Thurs-Sun fresher, brighter and lower humidity weather.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
idj20
20 June 2018 13:26:52

Originally Posted by: P+ve Giant 

Greetings, Ian! I think the cold front has just rattled through here - a sudden increase in winds to a strong and gusty WNW'ly, now quietened down again. Slight drizzle, 17.5 C @ 82% RH and pressure @ 1018mb/hpa. 

Hi John! From a bright 'n' breezy Folkestone. The sun has been coming and going but the brisk onshore wind is keeping the freshness going at around 18.5 C. Mind you, it's also exuberating the dryness and is perfect conditions for road testing my brand new petrol strimmer.

Folkestone Harbour. 
P+ve Giant
20 June 2018 13:36:46

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Hi John! From a bright 'n' breezy Folkestone. The sun has been coming and going but the brisk onshore wind is keeping the freshness going at around 18.5 C. Mind you, it's also exuberating the dryness and is perfect conditions for road testing my brand new petrol strimmer.

Wouldn't going to the barber be safer?  Defo the cold front here - now 15.7 C with a hint of drizzle in the air in overcast condx. Managed 0.7mm from today's weak fronts - should now clean and put away the rain gauges - and keep them out of those uber UV rays  

John.
idj20
20 June 2018 13:43:11

Originally Posted by: P+ve Giant 

Wouldn't going to the barber be safer?  Defo the cold front here - now 15.7 C with a hint of drizzle in the air in overcast condx. Managed 0.7mm from today's weak fronts - should now clean and put away the rain gauges - and keep them out of those uber UV rays  

I had to tie my hair back to stop it from getting tangled up in the strimmer head.

The cold front isn't expected to arrive here until tonight, we should notice a cooler and fresher feel to things tomorrow . . . or probably no difference at all anyway!  Might shift the low cloud stuff, though, as winds come in from inland.

Folkestone Harbour. 
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
20 June 2018 14:04:23
I like the word exuberating. Going to use that one.
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
20 June 2018 14:11:16

Originally Posted by: four 

Very mild overnight with a low of 16C
The frontal 'rain' is here but as expected it is a hint of drizzle on the wind.

There was a more serious burst about 10am gave 1.5mm, this afternoon temperature has fallen dramatically, with new low of 11.1C

Chunky Pea
20 June 2018 15:20:42

14.1c/62%Rh  here, and feels pleasant and fresh in the 9 knot breeze. 

Some severe bursts of rain yesterday which never last more than a minute or two at any one time. Very strange. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Crepuscular Ray
20 June 2018 16:38:49
After Storm Hector and last night's 36.5mm of rain (@ Swanston, my nearest station) the garden is looking really bedraggled. Lots of damage 😣
Mostly cloudy and windy with a max of 16 C today so feeling cool
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
richardabdn
20 June 2018 16:47:58

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

What has also happened as well, is that more rain fell during that overnight period than the total rainfall for the entire month of June going into that event. It wasn't that long ago though, since we were in an absolute drought and actually looking for some much needed rainfall for the gardens. After what happened last night though, I think that we've had enough rain for now and so, a spell of decent weather such as what is being forecast for the end of the week will now, be gratefully welcomed in these parts.

That just goes to show how much, a single weather event can completely change the overall perspective on things.

We had far less rain here but still 10mm which is more than enough for now.

What I am well and truly sick of is the June permacast hell. The last 12 days have been dire for sunshine – barely any better than 2007/12. Today was just vile with a cold wind and endless cloud streaming down from the NW. No sign of the sun and showers that were forecast. Any other time of year it would clear to sunshine.

Max today a cool 14.4C and currently it is foul with overcast, light drizzle and only 11.1C. Yet another waste of an evening and yet another day when it may as well have got dark at 4pm.

I’m not convinced the next few days will be any better either. The high looks too far west which will likely mean cloud spilling down the east coast

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
johncs2016
20 June 2018 17:17:26

It was supposed to brighten up here today once the rain cleared away, but we have had nothing but just an odd bright period here and there as the annual June permacast has continued to maintain its grip on our weather and left us with just yet more constantly grey skies and another depressing and soul destroying grey nothingness.

All of the missing data has now come through from Edinburgh Gogarbank and this shows that whilst we had a total of 1.9 hours of sunshine during yesterday at that station in the end, just a rather pathetic 6 minutes of sunshine have been recorded for the whole of today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 5pm this afternoon. That is a total of just 2.0 hours of sunshine in the space of the last two days which is really abysmal when you consider that today is the day before the summer solstice.

For the botanic gardens, I can only go up to yesterday as far as sunshine totals are concerned. Sunshine totals at that station are still recorded manually and only reported and uploaded to the Met Office Observations website (where I can then get that data) once a day at 9am UTC (i.e. at 9am when we are in Greenwich Mean Time and at 10am when we are in British Summer Time). This is then done in such a way that it is always the previous day's data which is reported and this means that I am always at least a day behind when it comes to being able to report that, compared to the data for Edinburgh Gogarbank.

From that though, I can report that 2.8 hours of sunshine were recorded for yesterday in the end at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. Like Edinburgh Gogarbank, today's total is unlikely to amount to even that much so although the situation in terms of sunshine isn't quite as bad at the botanic gardens as it is at Edinburgh Gogarbank, it is still rather abysmal even there.

With all of the missing data now available from Edinburgh Gogarbank, I can now report the rainfall totals for there according to weathercast..co.uk which show that just 7.4 mm of rain actually fell there during yesterday, whereas a total of 26.4 mm of rain has fallen there during today so far as at at 5pm this afternoon. That is a lot more in line with the situation at the botanic gardens (where 6.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday along with 27.8 mm during today so far) and for both stations, this shows that today is the wettest day of 2018 so far.

Today's maximum temperature was 15.2ºC at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 16ºC at Edinburgh Airport and 15.7ºC at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 5pm this afternoon was 14.3ºC at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 14ºC at Edinburgh Airport and 15.0ºC at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Gusty
20 June 2018 17:38:41

Evening 

A bit of a ground hog day scenario here again whereby early fog clears to a cloudy morning, it brightens by noon with sunshine by 1pm. Low cloud starts appearing from the channel again after 6pm (fortunately here a mile or so inland it doesn't spoil the evening but certainly takes the edge off the temperature).

Max today was 20.2c

Currently 17.9c with some low stratus again starting to scud in from the sea.

RH of 86% and a dewpoint of 16c.

Tonight's cold front and switch in wind direction to a northerly ensures a finer and warmer day tomorrow locally on the south coast. Whereby the North coast that saw 27c today will notice the fall to 19c.

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
20 June 2018 19:42:10
It’s got very windy here. Barbecue cover has blown half away and the cushions on the garden seats are coming off. Must be the cold front. A tad chillier too, and the humidity seems to be down.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
20 June 2018 20:12:41
There’s a proper cold plunge going on up North. 8s and 9s in the highlands and 6C at Loch Glascarnoch. Even 11C at Leek in Staffs. Still 23C in Southend.
johncs2016
20 June 2018 21:46:35

The Sun eventually came out for a while at around 8pm this evening as the skies cleared for a while, but it wasn't out for long and in the end, just a rather miserable 36 minutes of sunshine was recorded for the entire day at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

This now takes us into what is the shortest night of the year but just as it had looked as though we were finished with all of today's rainfall (we have certainly had more than enough rain for now with more rain falling today than on any other day since I first started to record this data on a daily basis), it has just started raining here yet again as a batch of heavy showers has just reached us from the north and north-west. Now, it just doesn't seem fair that we're suddenly getting all of this rain whilst virtually all of the rest of the UK is virtually bone dry (the fact that this is happening during the summer as well, is just typical!!)..

Meanwhile, the temperature at 10pm tonight was 10.1ºC at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 10ºC at Edinburgh Airport and 11.2ºC at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
schmee
21 June 2018 06:09:00
12c hazy sunshine.
Observations from around GUILDFORD in SURREY and now Nottingham