Saint Snow
02 August 2018 08:32:20

United Utilities have called off their hosepipe ban.

Just shows how 'return to mediocrity' the last couple of weeks have been further north.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
doctormog
02 August 2018 08:43:50

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Just shows how 'return to mediocrity' the last couple of weeks have been further north.

Flood warnings next week? 

The Beast from the East
02 August 2018 08:48:23

the daily express will be very disappointed. No drought apocalypse this year anyway!

My grass is green again and the heat is really helping the growth

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
Crepuscular Ray
02 August 2018 15:21:36
Yes greening up nicely here with showery rain most days now.
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
02 August 2018 17:37:32

There has been plenty of warm/hot and reasonably sunny weather in the last two weeks. Not as sunny as the day after day of clear blue skies we had in late June into July admittedly but every bit as warm if not warmer. Yes, we had a 'blip' of wet weather last weekend and into the the very start of this week but in any other summer the last two weeks would have been considered pretty good overall. Perhaps we are becoming rather spoilt?

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Stormchaser
02 August 2018 20:04:31

Having missed the worst of the rains, the continued brown hue to things here has started to feel that bit more special for being a more localised/regional situation as opposed to country-wide or national.

Also, to add to the sense of occasion, the local streams have now fallen to lower levels than they were at before the rain on Sunday, after a small and short-lived rise.

That rain basically filled in a big 'hole' of deficit in the local ecosystem, with only surface runoff feeding the streams. Perhaps some deep ground flow will help mitigate further losses later in the month, though odds are there will be at least one decent spell of rain to add to that within the next fortnight.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
ChrisJG
02 August 2018 21:40:21
Yes the hosepipe ban is off but Haweswater continues to drop. Down at 20m at the dam now despite all the rain we’ve had recently the level steadied somewhat but then began dropping again. So with not a huge amount of rain in the forecast, unless there is and I’ve missed the obvious, it’s an odd decision right now?
Home - near Penrith 150m ASL
Work - North/Central Cumbria
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
03 August 2018 05:43:32

Originally Posted by: ChrisJG 

Yes the hosepipe ban is off but Haweswater continues to drop. Down at 20m at the dam now despite all the rain we’ve had recently the level steadied somewhat but then began dropping again. So with not a huge amount of rain in the forecast, unless there is and I’ve missed the obvious, it’s an odd decision right now?

Spokeswoman for UU said that ban was called off as demand had slackened due to forecast of cooler weather, rather than expected rainfall.

It looks as if the NW will continue to get some rain, though not much, while we in the SE are back to hot and dry - at least until about next Wednesday when it looks as if this thread will become redundant for everyone. At least it means that the farmers in cereal growing areas around here will be able to finish off what remains of the harvest, not a lot to do now, and the dairy farmers will be able to eke out stocks of grass until there's enough rain to get the grass growing again.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
SEMerc
03 August 2018 05:48:41

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

Having missed the worst of the rains, the continued brown hue to things here has started to feel that bit more special for being a more localised/regional situation as opposed to country-wide or national.

Also, to add to the sense of occasion, the local streams have now fallen to lower levels than they were at before the rain on Sunday, after a small and short-lived rise.

That rain basically filled in a big 'hole' of deficit in the local ecosystem, with only surface runoff feeding the streams. Perhaps some deep ground flow will help mitigate further losses later in the month, though odds are there will be at least one decent spell of rain to add to that within the next fortnight.

I'm assuming that has been the case here, having been away for a few days.

My front lawn looks no different than before I left.

Bolty
03 August 2018 13:21:35

Wouldn't have followed it anyway. Ridiculous how an island in the middle of the Atlantic can get even remotely close to a water restiction. The Egyptians must piss themselves at us.

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
johncs2016
13 September 2018 07:52:13

I know that this is an old thread. However, despite the fact that we are in a more changeable weather pattern now, the rainfall amounts which I am reporting for both Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh are continuing to be small with less than 20 mm of rain being recorded at both of those stations during this month so far, as at 8am on 13 September 2018.

That follows on the dry summer which we had and in fact, you need to go all the way back to the end of April to find the point in time when all of this dry weather started. What I have been reporting though is just typical of what the situation has been like across the east of Scotland in general and on that note, I have come across this report on SEPA's website which gives the latest report (in PDF format) on the current water shortages which have arisen from that, especially in the NE of Scotland and over the Highlands.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
bledur
13 September 2018 08:15:45

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

I know that this is an old thread. However, despite the fact that we are in a more changeable weather pattern now, the rainfall amounts which I am reporting for both Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh are continuing to be small with less than 20 mm of rain being recorded at both of those stations during this month so far, as at 8am on 13 September 2018.

That follows on the dry summer which we had and in fact, you need to go all the way back to the end of April to find the point in time when all of this dry weather started. What I have been reporting though is just typical of what the situation has been like across the east of Scotland in general and on that note, I have come across this report on SEPA's website which gives the latest report (in PDF format) on the current water shortages which have arisen from that, especially in the NE of Scotland and over the Highlands.

Yes , indeed. I have relations up in Sutherland and it has been remarkably dry there since April. I was there end of July and Lochs were very low and rivers a trickle. There has been rain recently, but not enough .

idj20
13 September 2018 16:48:52

Lawnwatch 2018 - No 6 (dedicating my life to watching grass grow). The Green Green Grass Of Home.

After what has been a long, parched & tiresome Summer, it is good to see the colour finally return to my beloved lawn.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Rob K
14 September 2018 09:58:32

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Lawnwatch 2018

Have the BBC called yet to express an interest? 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
20 November 2018 11:19:33

Notty posted this interesting (to me at least) observation.

Off topic I know but our local reservoir is at the lowest level that I have ever seen now. If Nature is to reset the balance we are due a very large amount of ‘precipitation’ in the next six months or so - rain or snow. If not we are in for a serious drought next year (unless the summer is a washout of course).

The unusual weather (imho) continues.

I agree and apart from a wet spell that brought up the local river levels for a short time, the Frome is still at summer level.

I noticed this story too. Is this the reservoir you know Notty?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46236792

Maybe we need a new 2019 Drought thread?

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
johncs2016
20 November 2018 12:51:57

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Notty posted this interesting (to me at least) observation.

Off topic I know but our local reservoir is at the lowest level that I have ever seen now. If Nature is to reset the balance we are due a very large amount of ‘precipitation’ in the next six months or so - rain or snow. If not we are in for a serious drought next year (unless the summer is a washout of course).

The unusual weather (imho) continues.

I agree and apart from a wet spell that brought up the local river levels for a short time, the Frome is still at summer level.

I noticed this story too. Is this the reservoir you know Notty?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46236792

Maybe we need a new 2019 Drought thread?

You're welcome to start one if you want.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.