LeedsLad123
02 October 2018 17:56:44

Originally Posted by: Retron 

I'm watching this with mild apprehension - as I'll be out there in a fortnight, driving through the Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver. It came as quite a shock to see just how cold it is in Calgary at the moment, considering the mean high for early October is 15C, same as here in Kent.

Calgary is renowned for its wild swings in temperature - it's a very unpredictable climate, and I would say that average temperatures are meaningless there due to the high variability. 

As an example, the record high in Calgary in October is 29C, while the record low is -25C. Not many places can achieve such a huge difference in the same month. Calgary also averages 4cm of snow in September, with a record low of -13C for the same month, so I would say snow in early October in Calgary isn't unusual.

Another example - in February, Calgary has a record high of 23C and a record low of -45C. It's certainly a good climate for those who like constant, rapid changes in weather.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Solar Cycles
02 October 2018 18:03:06

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 

Calgary is renowned for its wild swings in temperature - it's a very unpredictable climate, and I would say that average temperatures are meaningless there due to the high variability. 

As an example, the record high in Calgary in October is 29C, while the record low is -25C. Not many places can achieve such a huge difference in the same month. Calgary also averages 4cm of snow in September, with a record low of -13C for the same month, so I would say snow in early October in Calgary isn't unusual.

Another example - in February, Calgary has a record high of 23C and a record low of -45C. It's certainly a good climate for those who like constant, rapid changes in weather.

You can guarantee as soon as Retron lands the temp will rocket to 29C.......... 😁

SEMerc
03 October 2018 11:03:08

Snowiest October day in Calgary ever. Currently, 36cm and counting at Calgary International Airport.

Tim A
03 October 2018 11:24:05
As interesting as Calgary's climate is, i think it would frustrate me particularly in winter. Always the threat of mild temperatures to wash away the snow and model watching would be tedious. Eastern Canada is much more snow sure.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

LeedsLad123
03 October 2018 11:37:38

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

As interesting as Calgary's climate is, i think it would frustrate me particularly in winter. Always the threat of mild temperatures to wash away the snow and model watching would be tedious. Eastern Canada is much more snow sure.

Wouldn't model watching in eastern Canada be more tedious given the climate is much more predictable? Take somewhere like Montreal - generally speaking you can expect snow on the ground every day from December until March. You might get the occasional blockbuster blizzard but otherwise you know what to expect.

If you want permanent snow cover then Calgary's climate would be frustrating, yes.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Tim A
03 October 2018 15:57:54
Perhaps tedious is the wrong word. It would be a rollercoaster of emotions. Like you say in Montreal and even more so Quebec city you would be almost always stay on the cold side getting frequent snowfalls , relatively stress free.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

doctormog
03 October 2018 16:05:43
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Pages/Traffic/Advisories-closures-and-detours/Calgary-Traffic-Cameras.aspx 

-6°C at 10am is quite chilly even for Calgary and its wild temperature swings in early October. The run of cold weather also looks like continuing.
tallyho_83
03 October 2018 16:42:40
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Pages/Traffic/Advisories-closures-and-detours/Calgary-Traffic-Cameras.aspx 

-6°C at 10am is quite chilly even for Calgary and its wild temperature swings in early October. The run of cold weather also looks like continuing.

In 2005 December it was 17c in the run up to Xmas in Calgary! Crazy. Sometimes Calgary only manages a mere 10 to +15cm of snow throughout the whole of the winter months 05/06 was the year with the least snow throughout the whole of Winter with a max depth of 6" only. Yet now 1st/2nd October they have triple the amount in one snowfall and it's not even winter yet. It will be ironic if all this snow melted and they and a balmy mild December.

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

tallyho_83
03 October 2018 16:44:16

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Depends southern Ontario have more frequent and heavier snowfalls yes - it's wetter whilst Calgary is drier.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2018-10-03-calgary-alberta-canada-snow-record-october

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

tallyho_83
06 October 2018 21:52:42

B

Back up to +10c in Calgary - Snow melting rapidly melting in sun:

That is the bow river and Calgary centre street downtown in distance and Calgary tower,. 

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
07 October 2018 06:14:02

Originally Posted by: SEMerc 

Snowiest October day in Calgary ever. Currently, 36cm and counting at Calgary International Airport.

Cold plunge in there somewhere. My cousin in Wisconsin has been moaning about unseasonably cold weather

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
tallyho_83
08 October 2018 00:30:36

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

B

Back up to +10c in Calgary - Snow melting rapidly melting in sun:

That is the bow river and Calgary centre street downtown in distance and Calgary tower,. 

Just focusing on CALGARY'S above traffic Camera after a high of 10c today a max of -1c tomorrow with snow!? :o

The Calgarian's will have to make the best of this early 'record snow' - Looks like this winter could be a mild and dry on esp given that we could be entering a weak El Nino! 

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

marco 79
12 October 2018 09:57:17
Another remarkable extreme coming up for parts of Colorado this weekend... "Mile high city" Denver goes from a high of 16c on Saturday to a high of -3c on Sunday as a cold front brings snow across the state...Being 5000ft above sea level extremely aids the massive swing in temp.
Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
tallyho_83
12 October 2018 18:22:18

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Just focusing on CALGARY'S above traffic Camera after a high of 10c today a max of -1c tomorrow with snow!? :o

The Calgarian's will have to make the best of this early 'record snow' - Looks like this winter could be a mild and dry on esp given that we could be entering a weak El Nino! 

Denver's snow look like a brief event as well. 

Well all that snow went very in fast then after more snow 2 days ago with daytime maxes of -1c in Calgary!! - Now the Temperature is up to +13c today (Fri).

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

doctormog
13 October 2018 09:11:59
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html 

A max of 0°C today with snow and 25°C on Wednesday in the sunshine.
tallyho_83
31 October 2018 01:16:18

Now this is what I call a return to wetter than average weather!? Gosh! Talk about precipitation spikes!

18z Ensembles for New York City:

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Bolty
04 November 2018 15:42:47

The Central States prepare for quite a deep cold snap next week. Temperatures widely 15-20F below average for early November, with Texas even at risk of snow.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2018-11-03-cold-blast-accumulating-snow-plains-midwest

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
17 November 2018 19:21:38
New York 15th November. Though rather slushy in town it's a pretty heavy fall well captured in this.

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
18 November 2018 13:38:43
Ice storm in Virginia

Gavin D
19 November 2018 14:02:09