Bertwhistle
08 March 2017 18:59:54

2.1 today.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Gusty
09 March 2017 16:24:25

I spent 45 mins in the sun at lunchtime and can confirm that I have now officially started to tan a little.

The sun felt very warm today.  

Bring it on ! 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Bertwhistle
09 March 2017 18:19:56

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

I spent 45 mins in the sun at lunchtime and can confirm that I have now officially started to tan a little.

The sun felt very warm today.  

Bring it on ! 

Yep. 2.9 today in Reading- would be a 3 on the S. Coast. Best of the year so far and counts as moderate UV factor- no wonder you've bronzed a bit.

As you say... bring it on.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
10 March 2017 19:26:43

2.0 today; cloudy- that's a result!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
11 March 2017 15:20:00

2.3 reached shortly after midday; still hanging around 2 even now.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Stormchaser
11 March 2017 17:58:00

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Forgot to add- notice on some days the curve is constant, but these are not the days with the highest UV- the spikier days, suggesting cumulus or other interruptions, reach the highest values; cloud cover or air type intensifying the UV?

The sides of cumulus clouds can reflect enough sunlight toward the surface so as to intensify the total input when the sun is also shining straight down on a location. This is why on quite cloudy days those few glimpses of sun can sometimes seem unusually intense for the time of year. The effect is most pronounced when the sun is close to, but not directly overhead; the angle of reflection is closest to straight down - so the sunlight travels through the least amount of atmosphere - without there being no reflection at all.

In the UK the sun is never exactly overhead so from around early March to late October we can potentially experience reflectively enhanced sunlight on any day with the right cloud conditions.

There is also some refraction of light through clouds - particularly high ones - that can get involved but at this point things start to get very complex, enough so that climate models struggle to even parameterise the effect, so I'll shut off my technical outburst here 

Oh and - I have achieved a very slight tan as of 11th March, which is as early as I've ever managed. This is thanks to several days this month with light winds, a good bit of sunshine and temps reaching the mid-teens. The March of the future? 

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Bertwhistle
12 March 2017 14:35:43

Didn't make 2 today- 1.8 best. Quite a manky old day.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Lumi-Ukko
12 March 2017 19:54:11
Currently 6.5 here with a forecast maximum of 7.02. Sun feels really strong now day over day as we close in on the equinox and the day length increase is at a maximum. Indeed, Wednesday we are forecast 7.85 under very similar conditions.
Bertwhistle
13 March 2017 12:37:48

2.6 in Reading- must be some cloud because it's bright, strong sun here- I would gamble at least 3- typical Monday after a 2 day cloud-up at the weekend.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Lumi-Ukko
13 March 2017 17:34:37
3.2 here at 10am with a 7.36 high expected. Tricky UV conditions to forecast as this close to the ocean we are experiencing intermittent haar. From now until July, it is not unusual if there is no offshore flow to have thick sea-fog (Richard in Aberdeen would love it). This is a result of the warm air in-land rising and pulling in air off the ocean to replace it. This air is humid and much much cooler so condenses really fast to form thick fog. Only a mile in-land it is bright and sunny.
Bertwhistle
13 March 2017 18:03:13

Actually maxed at 3.0 after all today in Reading- so, today is the annual leader so far.

No haar here, har har!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
14 March 2017 18:11:20

2.8 and barely any sun. Top stuff!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
15 March 2017 17:14:22

3.2 today; best goes again. I'm not surprised, mind- over 16C and bright sunshine at 12.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
16 March 2017 18:32:52

1.6 today. No need to describe the weather.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
17 March 2017 20:07:57

2.3 today.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
18 March 2017 20:46:40

2.2 today

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
PFCSCOTTY
19 March 2017 12:05:21

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

2.2 today

BW ....how do you know the figure please? 

picturesareme
19 March 2017 12:46:37
Met had a 4 forecasted for end of week yesterday, but since changed.
Bertwhistle
19 March 2017 17:11:15

Originally Posted by: PFCSCOTTY 

BW ....how do you know the figure please? 

There's a link at the start of this thread; this is the reading for Reading- the resolution of reliable recording stations isn't as dense as for usual met. data (temperature etc). We here in the Itchen Valley are some way south of Reading, and Portsmouth is even further south, but more significantly, coastal; also at lower altitude so the level will be affected both ways, I suggest, but in general I would expect Portsmouth to have a higher UV (slightly) if conditions are similar.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
19 March 2017 17:14:25

2.7 today- in glimmers of sun. Things are really UV-ing up now.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.