four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
15 November 2020 16:50:14
Not an earthquake but rather curious slow-mo peat slide.

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
30 December 2020 16:03:05

To follow on from Fours landslip another slide has occurred in Norway more serious than an earlier one (also posted I think by Four?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55484627

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
doctormog
04 March 2021 13:53:03
I notice there has just been a magnitude 7.3 (USGS) quake to the NE of New Zealand. Hopefully nothing too serious will come of it but there may be some form of tsunami threat (to the North Island especially).
doctormog
04 March 2021 19:54:47

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

I notice there has just been a magnitude 7.3 (USGS) quake to the NE of New Zealand. Hopefully nothing too serious will come of it but there may be some form of tsunami threat (to the North Island especially).

That quake was later revised down to 6.9 I think (possibly?). However slightly further north (away from NZ) there have been two more large quakes, magnitude 7.4 and then more recently a notable magnitude 8 quake.

Edit: the most recent quake has now been revised to 8.1.

To get two magnitude 7ish quakes followed by a magnitude 8 all in a similar regions is quite noteworthy IMO.

Heavy Weather 2013
04 March 2021 20:05:38

That quake was later revised down to 6.9 I think. However slightly further north (away from NZ) there have been two more large quakes, magnitude 7.4 and then more recently a notable magnitude 8 quake.

Do you remember the situation in Japan in 2011. I remember they had a swarm of earthquakes before the big one that caused the Tsunami.

I wonder if the 8.0 is the big one of whether there is more to come. The whole fault seems to want to give.

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
doctormog
04 March 2021 20:08:05

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

Do you remember the situation in Japan in 2011. I remember they had a swarm of earthquakes before the big one that caused the Tsunami.

I wonder if the 8.0 is the big one of whether there is more to come. The whole fault seems to want to give.

I am hoping the 8.1 was the big one, as in theory it will have “released” a lot of energy, but I guess we will find out in coming hours or days.

picturesareme
10 March 2021 18:15:29

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Eruptions continuing

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=CNVIYJW4B42kUsKii9gJ&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAYEjjGHejIkDro26Ow2guH5JPgFgiDfsP&q=iceland+earthquakes+today&oq=iceland+eartquake&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYAjIKCAAQsQMQgwEQCjIKCAAQsQMQgwEQCjINCAAQsQMQgwEQyQMQCjIGCAAQChADMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKMgQIABAKOgoIABDqAhC0AhBDOggIABDqAhCPAToICAAQsQMQgwE6CwguELEDEMcBEKMCOgUIABCxAzoFCC4QsQM6DgguELEDEMcBEKMCEJMCOgsILhCxAxDHARCvAToCCAA6AgguOggIABCxAxDJAzoFCAAQkgM6CwguEMcBEK8BEJMCOggILhDHARCvAToLCAAQsQMQgwEQyQM6BAgAEANQ3sMCWIGDA2C1nANoAXAAeACAAYkBiAGwDZIBAzkuOJgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXqwAQo&sclient=gws-wiz

Straightforward review of prospects here

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/iceland-earthquakes-volcano-eruption

Problem here is its happening within a volcanic system that's been dormant for over 12000 year's with little known about it's previous eruptions.

There remains an element of uncertainty as to what could happen. Yes the most likely type of eruption will be fluid effusive lava flows rather than explosive, but a powerful eruption can't be ruled out as they have happened in that region in the past. Also effusive lava flows in Iceland have a track record of being on the significant side.

The Beast from the East
11 March 2021 10:03:40

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
doctormog
20 March 2021 09:55:29
Just related to the post above, there has just been a magnitude 7.2 quake in a very similar location. Big enough to raise a few eyebrows but nothing in the league of the event from ten years ago.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
20 March 2021 20:30:56
Not really earthquake related but there was a very loud rumble window door rattling boom at about 3pm today in Dorset and SW. Latest theory is it was a meteorite. On most local news outlets inc BBC.
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Roger Parsons
20 March 2021 21:25:18
Just come across this story - same event?

"A sonic boom-type noise has been heard across the south west of England which made homes and windows shake. People took to social media at about 15:00 GMT to report the "huge bang" that lasted several seconds. It was heard in the Dorchester and Weymouth areas in Dorset and also Taunton, Bridgwater and Wellington in Somerset and parts of Devon."

Mystery as 'sonic boom' noise shakes homes in south west
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56468252 

Roger
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
20 March 2021 21:28:16
That's the one Roger.
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Roger Parsons
21 March 2021 14:11:50

Updated link to the story: 'Sonic boom' in Dorset blamed on 'fireball meteor'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56475333

Mods please note - I had problems trying to "Quote" NMA's post in order to reply - funny layout - not the usual. You may want to check. I don't think it's me.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
21 March 2021 14:46:26

Yes it's an unusual never seen before layout Brian and Roger. But yes noise and rattling seems to have been extra-terrestrial.

Nick

South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
doctormog
29 July 2021 06:42:37

There has just been a (provisional) magnitude 8.2 quake off the Alaskan peninsula.

Ulric
29 July 2021 08:00:46

There has just been a (provisional) magnitude 8.2 quake off the Alaskan peninsula.

And a tsunami warning to go with it!

If someone succeeds in provoking you, realise that your own mind is complicit in the provocation. - Epicetus
doctormog
29 July 2021 08:08:17

Originally Posted by: Ulric 

And a tsunami warning to go with it!

Indeed. It is a big quake, although I think the fact it was not that shallow (33km depth), may help on the tsunami front

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
30 July 2021 06:29:07

Analysis at https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ak0219neiszm/executive

Tsunami possibilities were much overstated

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl