Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

36 Pages«<2728293031>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ARTzeman  
#561 Posted : 16 August 2019 07:21:11(UTC)
ARTzeman

Man

Have been harvesting Runner Beans weekly. Mange Tout and Sugar Snap daily. Herbs are in regular use but curly-leaf parsley is top of the list at the moment. Growing room is full of tomatoes all be it still green. Shall be overrun when the color change takes place.

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

I Just Blow my horn

Offline Bertwhistle  
#562 Posted : 17 August 2019 09:59:31(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Our sweetcorn cobs have come to full size weeks earlier than last year; but the tomatoes are slower to ripen.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline ARTzeman  
#563 Posted : 21 August 2019 12:53:42(UTC)
ARTzeman

Man

Last, of my greens and potatoes are now in the slow cooker.   All grown in pots and tubs. No more flowers appeared. so they have now been pulled out and awaiting the trip to be recycled. Herbs have liked the weather and have flourished. Will last until the end of October.   

Others just get wet.

I Just Blow my horn

Offline Bertwhistle  
#564 Posted : 26 August 2019 20:50:04(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Toms now ripening faster than I can use them; 2 aubergines, 3 pumpkins and 7 peppers. Melons swelling and plums ripening nicely.

Lots of nasty little triangular flies biting legs and feet, mostly on the lawn areas. Really bad reaction to these.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline Bertwhistle  
#565 Posted : 24 September 2019 13:43:50(UTC)
Bertwhistle

This morning's torrential rain and breeze have half emptied the walnut tree. I have an estimated 500 walnuts in 2 baskets, and haven't even collected from the shrubs and veg beds yet. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline ktaylor  
#566 Posted : 30 September 2019 06:11:14(UTC)
ktaylor

Man
United Kingdom

Can anyone help please. I got some weird small mushroom things in my garden they are white, beige sort of colour. All grow close together mainly. I've tried weed killer but they just keep coming back any suggestions please

Come on you spurs

Save ryarsh stop the quarry

https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com

Offline DEW  
#567 Posted : 10 October 2019 06:05:13(UTC)
DEW

Man

Seeds now collected from all the perennials; nasurtiums ramping everywhere but they'll seed themselves - but for the nasturtiums, need to watch for frosts. Let them experience a frost and they go revoltingly claggy, so need to be cleared a day or two before.

It has been observed that less snow falls here than any other place of equal extent in the kingdom, occasioned by the shelter of the hills and the warmth of the sea breezes - Alexander Hay, Guide to Chichester, 1805
Online Roger Parsons  
#568 Posted : 10 October 2019 06:35:54(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: DEW Go to Quoted Post

Seeds now collected from all the perennials; nasurtiums ramping everywhere but they'll seed themselves - but for the nasturtiums, need to watch for frosts. Let them experience a frost and they go revoltingly claggy, so need to be cleared a day or two before.

Do you pickle your nasturtium pods, DEW? They vaguely resemble capers. A project for next year if you don't. Roger

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/readers-solutions/nasturtium-flower-butter-and-nasturtium-caper-recipes

https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/4112/

Roger

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Offline ARTzeman  
#569 Posted : 10 October 2019 11:13:30(UTC)
ARTzeman

Man

Not all October Gloom. Still colour in the garden. Thule conifer has green and lime coloured leave. Pyracantha is covered in orange berries. 5 different colours of cyclamen are doing well. Cosmos are flowering also. Heathers are in flower and will last a long time.

Others just get wet.

I Just Blow my horn

Offline DEW  
#570 Posted : 10 October 2019 21:51:03(UTC)
DEW

Man

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons Go to Quoted Post

Do you pickle your nasturtium pods, DEW? They vaguely resemble capers. A project for next year if you don't. Roger

I haven't pickled pods, but I've put flowers in salads, much to the astonishment of a great-niece

"You ... don't ... eat... flowers"

It has been observed that less snow falls here than any other place of equal extent in the kingdom, occasioned by the shelter of the hills and the warmth of the sea breezes - Alexander Hay, Guide to Chichester, 1805
Offline Bertwhistle  
#571 Posted : 12 October 2019 07:10:47(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman Go to Quoted Post

Not all October Gloom. Still colour in the garden. Thule conifer has green and lime coloured leave. Pyracantha is covered in orange berries. 5 different colours of cyclamen are doing well. Cosmos are flowering also. Heathers are in flower and will last a long time.

Such has been the nature of the weather here- wet with warm nights- everything is still verdant in our garden. The walnut has (& is still) shed a record harvest, but the rest looks like summer. Peppers, chillies and aubergines are still flowering and setting. They'll be conservatoried for the winter.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline Caz  
#572 Posted : 12 October 2019 10:17:09(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Still lots of summer colour in my borders, as well as autumn colour from plums, grapes and pyracantha. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline Bertwhistle  
#573 Posted : 12 October 2019 10:49:41(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Originally Posted by: Caz Go to Quoted Post

Still lots of summer colour in my borders, as well as autumn colour from plums, grapes and pyracantha. 

The vine is fruiting!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline Caz  
#574 Posted : 14 October 2019 15:36:27(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle Go to Quoted Post

The vine is fruiting!

Ahh, no.  Not the vine Transplanted from my mum’s garden!  That’s been planted in Gemma’s garden but it’s doing well, with four strong stems in leaf, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it fruits next year!  

I have two in my garden and we seem to have a tradition of inheriting grape vines, as these belonged to my brother who died 7 years ago.  He’d bought them but never got to plant them and they were still in their pots a year later, so I gave them a home.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Online Roger Parsons  
#575 Posted : 15 November 2019 13:02:18(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

A home for fleas
A hive for bees

[Hair - 1968]

The 'unnoticed insect apocalypse': How people in towns and cities can help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50406278

Spot some of the less-than-perfect images chosen:
A recently-arrived non-native species - now widespread across the country?
Daffodils helping insect diversity?
Build your own bee box - for honeybees?
Errr.

Nevertheless - a bee box/hotel for the garden makes a nice Christmas present - home made or bought.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/giants-causeway/features/how-to-build-a-bee-box

Roger

Edited by user 15 November 2019 13:04:14(UTC)  | Reason: typo

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Offline DEW  
#576 Posted : 22 December 2019 23:05:53(UTC)
DEW

Man

Winter-flowering honeysuckle in bloom, winter-flowering clematis almost there.

Offline DEW  
#577 Posted : 29 December 2019 11:49:35(UTC)
DEW

Man

Now the hazel catkins have opened

EDIT 5 Jan now also winter flowering honeysuckle and winter flowering clematis. Outside the garden, patches of winter heliotrope are well in flower (it's not a plant you want to encourage, attractive odour but takes over with roots like bindweed).

Edited by user 05 January 2020 10:01:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DEW  
#578 Posted : 10 January 2020 15:54:36(UTC)
DEW

Man

Thought I'd put this in here to save starting a spring flower thread prematurely, but \i saw the first celandine (pilewort) yesterday, down by the coast. The record runs (just didn't record in missing years)

First celandines 26/1/05, 6/3/06, 18/2/07, 2/3/10, 25/1/11, 1/2/12, 22/2/14, 17/2/15, 24/2/17, 24/1/18, 13/2/19 (Chi), 10/1/20

Not systematic, just where I happened to be at the time.

Edited by user 10 January 2020 16:31:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ARTzeman  
#579 Posted : 10 January 2020 16:21:07(UTC)
ARTzeman

Man

One single Dandelion in flower in the grass at the side of the house. Daisys are also in flower.

Geraniums in pots still have their pink flowers. Cosmos are still in bud.

Others just get wet.

I Just Blow my horn

Offline AJ*  
#580 Posted : 17 January 2020 09:26:04(UTC)
AJ*

Originally Posted by: Caz Go to Quoted Post

Picked a crop on Blackcurrants from my garden today. I have three bushes in the border, two facing West/South West, of which one produced nothing and the other produced a handful.  The third faces North/North West and produced enough to make four jars of lovely jam.  I’m re-thinking their positions for next year as I love Blackcurrant jam!  

Hi Caz! I've just discovered this forum and this thread, so I might well be contributing more to it.  Do you happen to know what variety your blackcurrants are?  I want to plant one or two bushes in my garden and I'm not sure which variety to get.  I love the flavour of blackcurrants, in things such as blackcurrant jam, blackcurrant and apple pie, and (if you can find it) blackcurrant ice cream.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.