Whether Idle
09 December 2015 22:30:31

Originally Posted by: lanky 

Based on 1961-90 averages:

Feb 1779 was +4.1C

Jun 1846 was +4.0C

and these were the only candidates at 4C or more I found

December has a 1961-90 average of 4.7C so would need to be 8.8C or more to tie or beat the record of Feb 1779. Unlikely but still so-able on current form

The record is very vulnerable.  It would be no surprise if a 236 year old record could fall in the on-going  situation.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
springsunshine
10 December 2015 05:18:26

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Yes, SC.  I went for 5.5 as well but the further into this month we get, the more it looks like we'll be quite a way out.  And I had such a great start to the year!   

Looking at the December cet predoctions ots looking like everyone has gone too low

The current mean imby is 12.2c

Hungry Tiger
10 December 2015 10:15:03

Are we still over 10C.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

ARTzeman
10 December 2015 13:05:17

Met  Office   Hadley                10.3c.      Anomaly    5.3c.      Provisional to 9th.

Metcheck                                  10.19c.    Anomaly      5.19c.

Netweather                               10.87c.    Anomaly      5.78c.

Cheadle Hulme Weather             10.3c.      Anomaly      4.7c.

Clevedon Weather                      11.6c.     Anomaly       4.7c.

Mount   Sorrel                            10.5c.     Anomaly       5.4c.

Peasedown St john   Mean           10.6c.    Anomaly        5.3c.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
10 December 2015 13:53:09

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

Looking at the December cet predoctions ots looking like everyone has gone too low

The current mean imby is 12.2c

Yes, indeed, it seems the further into winter we get, the warmer it gets.  At this rate we'll be in shorts by the end of January. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Andy Woodcock
10 December 2015 21:50:31
Oh God, if we get a record warm December we will have the BBC and every other GW nutcase boring us stupid till Easter, this is one winter when I wish I was retired and could spend December to March in Lanzarote.

Andy
Andy Woodcock
Plumpton
Penrith
Cumbria
Altitude 435 feet
"I survived The Mega Bartlett Winter of 2015/16 With My Mental Health Just About Intact"
Andy Woodcock
10 December 2015 21:54:43

Originally Posted by: lanky 

Based on 1961-90 averages:

Feb 1779 was +4.1C

Jun 1846 was +4.0C

and these were the only candidates at 4C or more I found

December has a 1961-90 average of 4.7C so would need to be 8.8C or more to tie or beat the record of Feb 1779. Unlikely but still so-able on current form

[/quote

Isnt it amazing that the warmest February on record was 1779 at the height of the Little Ice Age!

some wild swings in temperature back then.

Andy

Andy Woodcock
Plumpton
Penrith
Cumbria
Altitude 435 feet
"I survived The Mega Bartlett Winter of 2015/16 With My Mental Health Just About Intact"
ARTzeman
11 December 2015 11:30:39

Met Office Hadley                 10.1c.       Anomaly      5.1c.   Provisional to   10th.

Metcheck                              9.91c.      Anomaly      4.91c.    

Netweather                          10.69c.     Anomaly       5.6c.

Cheadle Hulme Weather        10.1c.       Anomaly       4.5c.

Clevedon Weather                 11.3c.      Anomaly        4.9c.

Mount     Sorrel                    10.2c.      Anomaly        5.1c.

Peasedown St John Mean        10.5c.     Anomaly         5.2c.    

Others just get wet.
Global Warming
11 December 2015 21:28:47

This month is shaping up to be something quite extraordinary. It will be much cooler this weekend but even so the CET will still be slightly above average. Next week it turns potentially exceptionally warm again.

The CET fell below 10C today and stands at 9.8C now by my calculations. It will drop quickly to 9C by the start of next week but then could rise back to 9.6C next weekend.

Current output suggests the CET could be at 9.33C on Christmas Day. So a final CET above 9C is not out of the question. That would not just break the record of 8.1C but smash it to pieces.

In the anomaly chart below I have tried to show in the background dark blue colour the anomaly for the CET date record on each day. No date records yet this month but we came close on a couple of occasions earlier this week. However notice that we could be in with a chance of breaking the record on 4 consecutive days from 17th to 20th.

The mean temperature for the whole of November and December this year could exceed 9C. The previous highest November / December combination was 8.25C in 1994. So again this figure will be blown away most likely.

December 2010 was a truly remarkable month in terms of cold. This December will be even more remarkable in terms of warmth. We live in interesting times.

Saint Snow
11 December 2015 21:43:37

Originally Posted by: Andy Woodcock 

this is one winter when I wish I was retired and could spend December to March in Lapland

Edited 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Gavin P
11 December 2015 23:12:21

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

This month is shaping up to be something quite extraordinary. It will be much cooler this weekend but even so the CET will still be slightly above average. Next week it turns potentially exceptionally warm again.

The CET fell below 10C today and stands at 9.8C now by my calculations. It will drop quickly to 9C by the start of next week but then could rise back to 9.6C next weekend.

Current output suggests the CET could be at 9.33C on Christmas Day. So a final CET above 9C is not out of the question. That would not just break the record of 8.1C but smash it to pieces.

In the anomaly chart below I have tried to show in the background dark blue colour the anomaly for the CET date record on each day. No date records yet this month but we came close on a couple of occasions earlier this week. However notice that we could be in with a chance of breaking the record on 4 consecutive days from 17th to 20th.

The mean temperature for the whole of November and December this year could exceed 9C. The previous highest November / December combination was 8.25C in 1994. So again this figure will be blown away most likely.

December 2010 was a truly remarkable month in terms of cold. This December will be even more remarkable in terms of warmth. We live in interesting times.

Thanks GW! 

Looks like we're going to get a new December CET record then!

The extreme warmth of this month reminds a little bit of July and September 2006 and April 2007 and 2011 which were also very extreme warm months. 

Given December has been one of the few months to actually cool over the past 30 years (and we had that severe December in 2010) I guess this is payback time. (I know the weather doesn't work like that but it does kinda feel like it doesn't it? )

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Hungry Tiger
12 December 2015 01:11:57

All I can say is that this is amazing - But I hate the cold these days now. I know the coldies are disappointed. But everyone I know is delighted to save a wedge on the heating bills.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.

KevBrads1
12 December 2015 06:20:32

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

It's one of the great quirks that there have been two 8.1C Decembers but not one 5.9C.

That would be statistically incredible that this could be the 3rd December above 8.0C and yet not a single one recorded a 5.9C which should be climatolically easier to achieve.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Hungry Tiger
12 December 2015 11:41:27

Thanks and a very well done for these excellent computer graphics.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.

ARTzeman
12 December 2015 12:02:42

Met Office Hadley                  9.8c.       Anomaly      4.8c.  Provisional to 11th.

Metcheck                              9.51c.     Anomaly        4.52c.

Netweather                          10.34c.    Anomaly        5.25c.

Cheadle Hulme Weather          9.7c.     Anomaly         4.1c.

Clevedon  Weather                11.5c.     Anomaly         4.6c.

Mount  Sorrel                        9.4c.      Anomaly         4.7c.

Peasedown St John Mean        10.2c.    Anomaly         4.9c.    

Others just get wet.
Darren S
12 December 2015 14:14:28

It's interesting that Christmas Day has the lowest CET difference from average for the day maximum (and, therefore, I assume is the lowest absolute CET maximum for December as well).  

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
springsunshine
12 December 2015 18:49:47

Many Thanks GW

Some of these anomalies are huge!

It would be fantastic if we did smash the record for the warmest ever December and it would be even better if one year we could see a chart like this in June or July

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
12 December 2015 19:11:51

I think this year the seasonal temperature differences will be smaller than usual.  Summer was cooler and now winter is warmer, so far.  I remember other years when Autumn and early winter have been mild.  One year my dad picked a rose from his garden on Christmas Day.

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
13 December 2015 12:13:37

Met  Office  Hadley                   9.6c.       Anomaly       4.7c.   Provisional to 12th.

Metcheck                                   9.28c.      Anomaly        4.29c.

Netweather                               10.14c.     Anomaly        5.05c.

Cheadle Hulme Weather              9.5c.       Anomaly        3.9c.

Clevedon Weather                      11.5c.      Anomaly        4.6c.

Mount     Sorrel                           9.5c.       Anomaly        4.4c.

Peasedown St John Mean            10.2c        Anomaly        4.9c.

Others just get wet.
KevBrads1
13 December 2015 20:28:31
If this December becomes the warmest on record, it would be exceptionally mild for November never mind December, it would be exceptionally warm for March. Warmest March is 1957 with 9.2C. It would be staggering if it beats this.
MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists