springsunshine
03 May 2016 08:12:58

Well done Leicester

The biggest upset/surprise in football since Forest in 1979.An incredible achievement and thoroughly deserved,it proves that every team in the prem has a chance if they play as a team,play to thier strenghths and are blessed with a little luck. Money is NO guarantee of success.

As for Spurs,unlucky,too many draws!!! But if they keep their team together next season they will win it and am sure most spurs fans at the start of the season knew they would be in the champions league next time they would have been well happy.

Fingers crossed now for City and Liverpool this week

Sevendust
03 May 2016 10:45:37

Last night's game was excellent. The fact that it boiled over a few times at least showed there was some passion and Chelsea to their credit were certainly up for it.

The manager getting involved in the half-time ruck would only have heightened tension and that would have spread to the players and that in my view is poor management but he is a young manager and will hopefully learn from this experience.

I've never been a Spurs fan but in the final analysis they have also over-achieved this season and they will be in the Champions League which is a big deal when you are up against other Premier League big clubs.

As for Leicester, it is a great story and Ranieri has worked a miracle there irrespective of what happens in future seasons :)

SEMerc
03 May 2016 11:32:56

Originally Posted by: Sevendust 

Last night's game was excellent. The fact that it boiled over a few times at least showed there was some passion and Chelsea to their credit were certainly up for it.

The manager getting involved in the half-time ruck would only have heightened tension and that would have spread to the players and that in my view is poor management but he is a young manager and will hopefully learn from this experience.

I've never been a Spurs fan but in the final analysis they have also over-achieved this season and they will be in the Champions League which is a big deal when you are up against other Premier League big clubs.

As for Leicester, it is a great story and Ranieri has worked a miracle there irrespective of what happens in future seasons :)

Quite. And this young team will get better and better. However, that's not the point I wish to address.

I didn't see most of the match but saw a compilation (11 mins worth) of incidents.

I was especially amused at Robbie Savage having a go on MOTD. No irony there of course. It's a bit like Chris Kamara condemning boxing

Predictably, various non-Spurs fans have thrown their toys out of the pram this morning saying how shameful the performance was.

Well, for them, I'll give two proper examples of what constitutes shameful.

First up; Shi.teh for their performance over the weekend against Southampton. Collectively, no fukcs were given, except for a 19 year old boy. Arguably the worst performance I've seen from ANY PL team this season.

Only marginally less shameful was United's pathetic display against Lester. No passion and a largely soulless atmosphere. Were the players aware they had a chance of getting CL football next season? I wouldn't have guessed.

Ally Pally Snowman
03 May 2016 20:58:46

What's fascinating about next season is who will miss out on the Champions League. Spurs look strong so do Liverpool under Klopp, Man City with Guardiola should be top 4 at least and Arsenal always finish in the top 4. That's not including Leicester of course. West Ham will also be strong with some big money behind them. You can make a case for Man U and Chelsea being outside the top 6 next season. It's great to see the big boys under so much pressure nothing is guaranteed anymore. Great for English Football.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
SEMerc
03 May 2016 21:24:36

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

What's fascinating about next season is who will miss out on the Champions League. Spurs look strong so do Liverpool under Klopp, Man City with Guardiola should be top 4 at least and Arsenal always finish in the top 4. That's not including Leicester of course. West Ham will also be strong with some big money behind them. You can make a case for Man U and Chelsea being outside the top 6 next season. It's great to see the big boys under so much pressure nothing is guaranteed anymore. Great for English Football.

I agree with most of this, but with the following caveats. I wouldn't be surprised if Guardiola turned out to be a relative flop - at least in his first season - as he flushes out the various turds he needs to in order to 're-build' i.e. bring in other foreigners at ludicrously inflated prices.

I can't see Mourinho doing much at United either - assuming Woodward actually summons up enough courage to throw Van Gaal under the bus.

If I were to stick my neck out, I'd say the Dippers will be the most improved team as Klopp's methods continue to bed in. I can see them in the top four easily. I can see Spurs in there as well, leaving Shiteh, Manure, the Chavs and the Scum battling for the other two places

Ally Pally Snowman
03 May 2016 21:36:58

Originally Posted by: SEMerc 

I agree with most of this, but with the following caveats. I wouldn't be surprised if Guardiola turned out to be a relative flop - at least in his first season - as he flushes out the various turds he needs to in order to 're-build' i.e. bring in other foreigners at ludicrously inflated prices.

I can't see Mourinho doing much at United either - assuming Woodward actually summons up enough courage to throw Van Gaal under the bus.

If I were to stick my neck out, I'd say the Dippers will be the most improved team as Klopp's methods continue to bed in. I can see them in the top four easily. I can see Spurs in there as well, leaving Shiteh, Manure, the Chavs and the Scum battling for the other two places

FWIW my top 8 next season

1. Spurs

2. Man City

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Leicester

6. West Ham

7. Chelsea

8. Man United

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
SEMerc
03 May 2016 21:40:52

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

FWIW my top 8 next season

1. Spurs

2. Man City

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Leicester

6. West Ham

7. Chelsea

8. Man United

Hmmm, interesting. FWIW, I'll go

1- Spurs

2- Chelsea

3- Liverpool

4- Man City

5- Arsenal (assuming Wenger is still there)

6- Man United

7- West Ham

8- Lester

Saint Snow
03 May 2016 23:09:34

There's too many uncertainties to have a good go at a forecast at this stage

Guardiola might struggle, but he's got the core of a very good team able to play the sort of football he'll look to implement. Conte too could be great or he could be rubbish in English football and blow up. But I expect both these teams to spend big this summer on proven quality who play in the style the managers want.

Spurs are going to have to contend with ECL football and, whilst they've built experience of two games a week in the Europa, the CL is more demanding. Good enough squad to challenge again, and I don't see any stars leaving, but perhaps the 2017/18 season is when they'll peak.

Liverpool will continue to improve slowly, but we've too many players who are good-but-not-great; in other words too good to discard as failures, but not good enough to lift us to the higher heights; again it'll all depend on whether Klopp brings in some proven quality in key areas and be brutal where necessary (and whether the squad will be able to deploy his tactics more consistently with a Klopp pre-season behind them)

Whether Wenger stays or not, I think next year the Gunners will struggle to make the top 4. Sanchez, who's carried them at times this past couple of seasons, is getting restless I feel, and it'll either be another year of increasing atrophy under Wenger or a transitional period under a new boss.

Who knows who'll be in the Old Trafford manager's seat next season. Could they sack LVG after winning the cup? Would Maureen get instant improvement or just rub players & fans up with his hyper-ego and park-the-bus tactics? They'll no doubt throw more bucketloads of cash at players, but recent purchasing has been pretty rubbish. Could challenge, but I think the job is a bit too big for one season.

Everton...hmmm... BobbyBS won't be in charge next year, after his shelf-life once again passes. If the new rich owner brings in a good manager and invests in players to bolster an already decent squad (and if they keep hold of Lukaku), then they should be top-8. West Ham will be facing European football for the first time in a while and won't find it easy.

Of the rest, Leicester will be mid-table. The demands of being reigning champs and having ECL football will be too much - and that's even with Kante, who is hot property now (not to mention Mahrez & Vardy, but I think these two are more emotionally wedded to Leicester). Southampton could easily be in the top 8 again, whilst Stoke could kick on if they don't fall away once more; either could take the place of Wet Spam. I also think if Newcastle escape relegation & keep Rafa, they'll be transformed and could crack the top 8.

Saying all that, my top 8 forecast as it stands now would be:

1. City

2. Chelsea

3. Spurs

4. Liverpool

5. arsenal

6. Man U

7. Everton

8. West Ham

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
springsunshine
04 May 2016 15:14:38

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

There's too many uncertainties to have a good go at a forecast at this stage

Guardiola might struggle, but he's got the core of a very good team able to play the sort of football he'll look to implement. Conte too could be great or he could be rubbish in English football and blow up. But I expect both these teams to spend big this summer on proven quality who play in the style the managers want.

Spurs are going to have to contend with ECL football and, whilst they've built experience of two games a week in the Europa, the CL is more demanding. Good enough squad to challenge again, and I don't see any stars leaving, but perhaps the 2017/18 season is when they'll peak.

Liverpool will continue to improve slowly, but we've too many players who are good-but-not-great; in other words too good to discard as failures, but not good enough to lift us to the higher heights; again it'll all depend on whether Klopp brings in some proven quality in key areas and be brutal where necessary (and whether the squad will be able to deploy his tactics more consistently with a Klopp pre-season behind them)

Whether Wenger stays or not, I think next year the Gunners will struggle to make the top 4. Sanchez, who's carried them at times this past couple of seasons, is getting restless I feel, and it'll either be another year of increasing atrophy under Wenger or a transitional period under a new boss.

Who knows who'll be in the Old Trafford manager's seat next season. Could they sack LVG after winning the cup? Would Maureen get instant improvement or just rub players & fans up with his hyper-ego and park-the-bus tactics? They'll no doubt throw more bucketloads of cash at players, but recent purchasing has been pretty rubbish. Could challenge, but I think the job is a bit too big for one season.

Everton...hmmm... BobbyBS won't be in charge next year, after his shelf-life once again passes. If the new rich owner brings in a good manager and invests in players to bolster an already decent squad (and if they keep hold of Lukaku), then they should be top-8. West Ham will be facing European football for the first time in a while and won't find it easy.

Of the rest, Leicester will be mid-table. The demands of being reigning champs and having ECL football will be too much - and that's even with Kante, who is hot property now (not to mention Mahrez & Vardy, but I think these two are more emotionally wedded to Leicester). Southampton could easily be in the top 8 again, whilst Stoke could kick on if they don't fall away once more; either could take the place of Wet Spam. I also think if Newcastle escape relegation & keep Rafa, they'll be transformed and could crack the top 8.

Saying all that, my top 8 forecast as it stands now would be:

1. City

2. Chelsea

3. Spurs

4. Liverpool

5. arsenal

6. Man U

7. Everton

8. West Ham

Don't think things are going to be quite so obvious as most seasons throw up a surprise,especially this one.I ve afeeling Van Gall will still be at united as this season is turning out to be a replica of when Fergie was one game away from the sack and Utd have got Crystal Palace in the cup final,coincidence or the start of a great Van Gall era??

Spurs I think will be title favorites with the bookies,city will make top 4 and it will be a transitional season under Pep.Liverpool will continue to improve and I would think anything but a top 4 finish will be regarded as a failure.

For a dark horse,like Licester this year id be tempted to put a few quid on Southampton.

As for my team Bournemouth,there will have to be massive changes as all but 6 or 7 players in the squad are not premier league standard,Eddie Howe is going to have to ship most of the squad out and spend the £100 million on players especially defenders and midfielders and another goalkeeper.If he doesn`t we will go down like Villa next season.

I very much hope Newcastle go down and stay down until that twat Ashley is out.Also hope Chelsea have a worse season than this and the Russian crook says enough is enough and pulls his money out and they sink like the titanic.

One thing is nailed on and that is Arsenal will NOT win the title or challenge again!! Until Wenger finally goes the mentality that 4th place is a success will remain.

Saint Snow
04 May 2016 15:58:44

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

I very much hope Newcastle go down and stay down until that twat Ashley is out.

Can't argue with that!

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
04 May 2016 17:07:54

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

As for my team Bournemouth,there will have to be massive changes as all but 6 or 7 players in the squad are not premier league standard,Eddie Howe is going to have to ship most of the squad out and spend the £100 million on players especially defenders and midfielders and another goalkeeper.If he doesn`t we will go down like Villa next season.

Bournemouth already in trouble under Financial Fair Play rules (perverse, considering what the top teams spend) so Eddie Howe's room for manoeuvre may be restricted

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
SEMerc
04 May 2016 21:04:09

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Bournemouth already in trouble under Financial Fair Play rules (perverse, considering what the top teams spend) so Eddie Howe's room for manoeuvre may be restricted

Eddie and Bournemouth will be fine. Best young manager in the PL and - hopefully - he'll get a full season out of Wilson.

He was exceptionally unlucky this season, regarding injuries.

FFP won't have an impact.

SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
06 May 2016 16:18:35

Dembele banned for 6 games after accepting FA charge. Spurs reportedly not happy about the length of the ban but IMO they're lucky as it could have been more.

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
SEMerc
06 May 2016 18:01:51

Originally Posted by: SJV 

Dembele banned for 6 games after accepting FA charge. Spurs reportedly not happy about the length of the ban but IMO they're lucky as it could have been more.

TBH, I thought he was going to get 8-10.

sriram
06 May 2016 19:28:04
How can Spurs motivate themselves for the game on Sunday after what's happened ?
Sriram
Sedgley, West Midlands ( just south of Wolverhampton )
162m ASL
SEMerc
06 May 2016 20:28:49

Originally Posted by: sriram 

How can Spurs motivate themselves for the game on Sunday after what's happened ?

Arsenal.

Saint Snow
06 May 2016 20:47:55

Should given some kind of reward for attacking that tw*t Costa.

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
Solar Cycles
07 May 2016 16:28:44
What a moving start to the Leicester gameđź‘Ť
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
07 May 2016 16:49:45

Originally Posted by: Solar Cycles 

What a moving start to the Leicester gameđź‘Ť

Wasn't it just!  Bocelli was incredible; I got goosebumps watching his performance in front of a riveted crowd  Incredible scenes amidst a thundery backdrop 

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Lumi-Ukko
08 May 2016 01:54:15

Wasn't it just!  Bocelli was incredible; I got goosebumps watching his performance in front of a riveted crowd  Incredible scenes amidst a thundery backdrop 

Just watched it on Youtube.  Proper class by Bocelli and Ranieri.