four
  • four
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
10 December 2016 19:55:12

These are from the new DJI Mavic Pro - incredibly tiny but very impressive.
Stills and video are significantly better than the Phantom 3

- Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge 30th November -
It was barely above freezing despite sunshine.

More usually seen here like this 
https://s6.postimg.org/80nl3utoh/10_01_14.jpg

ARTzeman
10 December 2016 21:58:21

Very scenic images....

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
agw2
  • agw2
  • Advanced Member
17 December 2016 15:43:56

Excellent shots four.  Very impressed.  I am very tempted to get one, after viewing your material.

To see the Lion Inn again.  What memories.

How about some a video of dirgers suffering over Wheeldale Moor, or sinking into one of the many many bogs.  I pity you couldn't fly in some really filthy weather to get the flavour of the walk.  You could use this for the musical accompaniment to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jKsQjuCfE

For those of you fortunate enough to have no idea what I am talking about, here are the lyrics

Lyke-Wake Dirge

THIS yah neet, this yah neet,
— Ivvery neet an' all,
Fire an' fleet an' cannle leet,
An' Christ tak up thy saul.

When thoo frae hence away art passed
— Ivvery neet an' all,
Ti Whinny Moor thoo cums at last

If ivver thoo gav owther hosen or shoon,
— Ivvery neet an' all,
Clap thee doon, an' put 'em on,

Bud if hosen an' shoon thoo nivver gav neean,
— Ivvery neet an' all,
T'whinnies'll prick thee sair ti t'beean,

Frae Whinny Moor when thoo art passed,
— Ivvery neet an' all,
Ti t'Brig o' Dreead tho cums at last,

If ivver thoo gav o' thy siller an' gowd,
— Ivvery neet an' all,
On t'Brig o'Dreead thoo'll finnd footho'd,

Bud if silver an' gowd thoo nivver gav neean,
— Ivvery neet an' all,
Thoo'll doon, doon tumle towards Hell fleeame,

Frae t'Brig o' Dreead when thoo art passed
— Ivvery neet an' all,
Ti t'fleeames o' Hell tho'll cum at last,

If ivver thoo gav owther bite or sup,
— Ivvery neet an' all,
T'fleeames'll nivver catch thee up,

Bud if bite or sup thoo nivver gav neean,
— Ivvery neet an' all,
T' flames'll bon thee sair ti t'beean,

This yah neet, this yah neet,
— Ivvery neet an' all,
Fire an' fleet an' cannle leet,

Google Lyke Wake Walk for greater enlightenment

A Dirger  (Once was enough)

four
  • four
17 December 2016 16:51:16

The great thing about the mavic is it folds up about the size of a pigeon, you can literally put it in a (big) pocket or more sensibly a modest camera bag, whereas with my previous phantoms it was a boxy backpack which was far from compact even in a car.
Also the set-up and pack-away is much improved as props stay on - you just open it up and go, with practice about one minute.
They've also vastly improved the automated tracking mode to follow and/or circle around any subject you highlight in the app display.

four
  • four
06 January 2017 11:44:15
lanky
15 January 2017 19:52:38
North Yorks Moors by "four" from 15th Jan 2017

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
four
  • four
15 January 2017 21:49:44

Just experimenting with embedded video!
ARTzeman
15 January 2017 22:23:15

Great to see the Ariel images.

Others just get wet.
four
  • four
07 May 2017 09:15:11
This was last Friday and at first I thought...hmm...boring... but looked at it again on a gloomy morning and decided to upload.
The farm with tiled roof across the wooded valley is where we used to live in the 1960s.
Parents had 12 cows on about a dozen fields.
It was a rented place and the estate later took most of the best land (behind) in hand and it looks to be two big fields now though most of the boundaries were really poor flakey limestone walls.

From about 8 years old we used to cycle on the now quite busy road below - to buy comics and sweets etc in small town a couple of miles away :o
I don't actually remember there being traffic but must have been the odd speeding Morris Minor.

The present DJI Mavic really shines at close quarters due to obstacle avoidance technology and very closed down 'Tripod Mode' - though these featres are now across the range.
Best thing about Mavic is how it folds to the size of a pigeon and can literally be carried in your pocket.
If you have a big pocket.

ARTzeman
07 May 2017 10:18:54

Nice hill scenes on 1st Video.  The second with the pine trees is nice with the sharpness.

Others just get wet.
four
  • four
12 August 2017 09:54:58
Heather is good now if we get a fine day to see it.

four
  • four
12 August 2017 10:05:54
Another starting higher up.
If viewing embedded or on mobile device these might look better with resolution on 480p, in fullscreen max it out 1080p or higher.

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
16 August 2017 07:06:42

Some more great aerial images.

Looks like it will become harder to record over National Trust places as they seem to have put in place a blanket ban on flying drones. 

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/golden-cap/features/the-use-of-drones-unmanned-aerial-vehicles-at-our-west-dorset-places

One glaring loophole though is that they don't seem to mind para gliders. And many para gliders use cameras to record a flight and are arguably more disruptive to people on the ground?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/hang-gliding-and-paragliding-in-isle-of-wight.

So ironically although you can write an article about National Trust people and property and sell it, you are not able to make images (photographic, paintings, sketches etc) with the intention to sell without written permission.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
lanky
16 August 2017 08:12:37

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Some more great aerial images.

Looks like it will become harder to record over National Trust places as they seem to have put in place a blanket ban on flying drones. 

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/golden-cap/features/the-use-of-drones-unmanned-aerial-vehicles-at-our-west-dorset-places

One glaring loophole though is that they don't seem to mind para gliders. And many para gliders use cameras to record a flight and are arguably more disruptive to people on the ground?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/hang-gliding-and-paragliding-in-isle-of-wight.

So ironically although you can write an article about National Trust people and property and sell it, you are not able to make images (photographic, paintings, sketches etc) with the intention to sell without written permission.

Cynics might conclude that they are attempting to maximise the profits on their own publications depicting the beauty of these sites

Lawyers might ask how much of the air above their land do they own or have the right to control

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
17 August 2017 06:51:05

Originally Posted by: lanky 

Cynics might conclude that they are attempting to maximise the profits on their own publications depicting the beauty of these sites

Lawyers might ask how much of the air above their land do they own or have the right to control

IMO The National Trust are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to control the visual aesthetics of their properties when seen in the media. For example someone is planning an article on some aspect of the Trust lets say at Ringstead Bay in Dorset. Words are fine but when it comes to sourcing a suitable image all they will have to choose from if they are to follow the  NT regulations are the pictures in the National Trust Image Library. Not a wide ranging choice. If you were looking for one with say a happy family enjoying themselves there are none. However there are numerous images elsewhere or you could shoot them yourself if you were able to without breaking the NT rules.

The second paragraph. There has never been a court case to test this angle as far as I can see. I don't think the NT or anyone is brave enough to test it but I would for one one love to see it explored a bit more. If anyone is interested the late Fay Godwins book Our Forbidden Land is as topical today as it was when it was first published.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
four
  • four
02 September 2017 19:07:14
four
  • four
02 September 2017 19:33:03
This was a couple of days ago, you can see pick up truck parked at the end.
Two old ladies had pulled in alongside in a smart car and looked a bit taken aback when I reached out and landed it on my hand like a hawk.

We used to make hay in fields by the two houses at the end (in the1960s).
It was commonplace to bale up adders in the crop, they were very numerous on the south facing scrubby slope.
four
  • four
19 October 2017 21:31:12
Another fog puddles vid from yesterday morning at 2C.
When it's like this, apart from being photogenic, winds are light which is a rarity.

ARTzeman
20 October 2017 09:32:57

Some nice images in the flight. Well liked. 

Others just get wet.
Bertwhistle
24 October 2017 19:04:27

Fantastic filming; gosh, I love Britain from the air.

Music a bit missed IMO- and especially true of the 2 Sep shots: snow music.

But again- brilliant images.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.