Jonesy
05 May 2011 12:05:32

Barca celebrate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hTmkCWy44&feature=player_embedded#at=11

Medway Towns (Kent)
The Weather will do what it wants, when it wants, no matter what data is thrown at it !
llamedos
05 May 2011 16:29:38

The team choice was obviously more than adequate and Man U eased through very comfortably against a poor Schalke side who obviously outperformed against Inter .........a test of minds now I guess. Barca have been brilliant for most of the season and while they've had the odd hiccup they'll be well up for this. SAF is no fool though when it comes to tactics and he should have a full squad to ponder over. A win over Chelsea on Sunday will take away any distractions. All indications from Old Trafford are they can beat Barca and self-belief counts for a lot. If and it's quite a bif if, Man U can score first, Barca might lose their swagger and with a first choice back 4, Man U are as capable as any team in Europe of delivering a killer counter strike. Just my opening gambit..........no doubt there'll be some further discussion as the final draws closer

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
SEMerc
05 May 2011 19:14:02

Originally Posted by: llamedos 

The team choice was obviously more than adequate and Man U eased through very comfortably against a poor Schalke side who obviously outperformed against Inter .........a test of minds now I guess. Barca have been brilliant for most of the season and while they've had the odd hiccup they'll be well up for this. SAF is no fool though when it comes to tactics and he should have a full squad to ponder over. A win over Chelsea on Sunday will take away any distractions. All indications from Old Trafford are they can beat Barca and self-belief counts for a lot. If and it's quite a bif if, Man U can score first, Barca might lose their swagger and with a first choice back 4, Man U are as capable as any team in Europe of delivering a killer counter strike. Just my opening gambit..........no doubt there'll be some further discussion as the final draws closer

Aw, bless.

icegooner
05 May 2011 20:38:45

It's a good job the Barca v Real semi final didn't get as bad as this.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/45952/

Richard
05 May 2011 21:09:19

This is my opinion, and I'm sure people will disagree...

On the 28th May I expect to see the strongest side Alex Ferguson has put together, but also the strongest side Barca has to offer. Barcelona on form are nearly unstoppable, their passing is perfect, their defence is incredibly strong and their attacking is better than United's. BUT Man United always seem to have that edge when playing tough matches, they always seem to outclass their critics, if Man United can play perfect passes and even play sensibly which includes waiting for attack (suprise) then United do have a great chance of winning, I feel Barcalona will crumble somewhat IF United score first because it's not often teams actually score first against Barca. 

wallaw
06 May 2011 07:11:27

Originally Posted by: WeatherExpert81 

This is my opinion, and I'm sure people will disagree...

On the 28th May I expect to see the strongest side Alex Ferguson has put together, but also the strongest side Barca has to offer. Barcelona on form are nearly unstoppable, their passing is perfect, their defence is incredibly strong and their attacking is better than United's. BUT Man United always seem to have that edge when playing tough matches, they always seem to outclass their critics, if Man United can play perfect passes and even play sensibly which includes waiting for attack (suprise) then United do have a great chance of winning, I feel Barcalona will crumble somewhat IF United score first because it's not often teams actually score first against Barca. 

My tip is that Barca will win 3-0

Ian

Stockton-on-Tees

SEMerc
12 May 2011 21:24:12

Biscuits charged with racism by UEFA.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer twunt nor a nicer team. Positively made my day after all the recent anti-Real guff in the media.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13381508.stm

SEMerc
17 May 2011 09:02:33

Originally Posted by: SEMerc 

Originally Posted by: Matty H 

What a disgusting, vomit inducing, cheating side Barca are. I never thought I'd say this, but I hope Man Utd absolutely smash them in the final.

The odious Biscuits at his absolute worst. I truly detest Barcelona too.

Quelle surprise.

And so the Barca winkfest continues. I seriously hate Barca.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13411117.stm

westv
17 May 2011 09:18:01

Originally Posted by: icegooner 

Eric Cantona would have been proud of him!

At least it will be mild!
Gary L
17 May 2011 09:37:47

Originally Posted by: westv 

Originally Posted by: icegooner 

Eric Cantona would have been proud of him!

His fondest memory apparently! United legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhOtPeq5xIU

David M Porter
18 May 2011 16:44:44

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Aye, trouble started by Italian fans, who - true to national traits - ran off when the people they were pelting with stones and other missiles, snarled back at them. Crap Belgian workmanship did the rest.

Not trying to excuse the behavoir of Liverpool fans, but they were villified as the only reason for the tragedy. Even after the horrific events had unfolded, there was still footage of Juve fans charging at Liverpool fans and throwing stuff - including what looks like a scaffold pole - into the Liverpool fans.

Fans of teams from other countries have, on several occassions, been murdered by the softarse 'Ultra' fans in Italy when attending European games. On many other occassions, visiting fans in Italy have been subjected to a concerted assault by missiles thrown by scum Italians. The Italian police take no notice - until, that is, the visiting fans start returning the missiles at the Italian scumbags, then it's time for head-splitting with the batons.

I remember seeing the Heysel tragedy live on BBC1 on 29/5/1985 as a five year old, and even now 26 years later, the images of what happened still haunt me.

As far as my understanding of what happened that night goes, the real troublemakers among the Juve support that you refer to were situated at the opposite end of the ground to where the 39 deaths occured. After the incident where the wall collapsed killing the 39 fans inside section Z (which was intended by UEFA to be for "neutrals"), another riot broke out among Juve fans at the other end and a number of these hooligans then stormed up the running track seeking to attack the Liverpool fans. This happened just as the riot police, paratroopers etc were finally starting to enter the stadium to try to restore order, and as they tried to do so the rioting Juve fans then decided to fight a running battle with them for a while. A considerable number of mounted police were called in, and a line of officers on horseback were position just to the right of the goal at the end where the deaths happened.

This is the account of one man from England who was in the stadium when the terrible events unfolded:

"I was at the back of the block in the stadium where the neutrals were killed.

The problem stemmed from there being too many Liverpool fans crammed in two-thirds of one end, while all the Juve fans had one entire end to themselves.

Some Liverpool fans also gained entry without tickets - there were holes evident in the breezeblock stadium walls.

There was a lot of room in the zone reserved for neutrals, many of whom were Italian.

There was no provocation from those Italians, while I clearly saw Liverpool fans throw lumps of the crumbling terraces over the dividing fence.

As the missiles rained down, so the crush towards the furthest corner grew and it was soon evident people were dying.

What was also very clear to me in touring the city is that it was only the Liverpool fans who were drinking too much.

I saw some with supermarket trolleys laden with beer in Brussels' Grand Place square. And from 10am, the behaviour of Liverpool's fans deteriorated as more cheap drink was consumed.

I'm not a Liverpool fan. I went for a big football occasion in a city where I had a girlfriend. Thankfully she was not at the match.

I can still picture the sight that greeted me outside the stadium before kick-off.

I left the ground to find safety. I saw rows of bodies, barely covered by tarpaulin of the flags they had carried, and which blew about as police helicopters landed nearby.

I later met some of the families of the dead.

I felt ashamed to be English."

As for who started the missile throwing that precipitated the violence, this has remained unclear ever since, and has very much been a case of claim and counter-claim. What I will say is that if it was some Juve fans in section Z that started throwing missiles first, why the heck did the Liverpool fans next to them not simply try to get away from the trouble instead of getting involved in it, which is exactly what the 39 Italians and Belgians that died were attempting to do when the violence escalated? By the way, I'm not for a second suggesting that it was only those Liverpool fans that charged who were to blame for what happened. UEFA certainly should have held the match at a stadium that was in far better condition and the Belgian authorities were at fault as well for not having enough police officers on duty in the stadium to start with. However, neither UEFA nor the Belgian police can be blamed for groups of individuals (on both sides) that were incapable of behaving themselves properly. If some football supporters cannot go along to a ground to watch a game of football and behave themselves in a civilised fashion, that is nobody's problem but theirs.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
SEMerc
23 May 2011 18:48:00

Manchester United team leaked ahead of Saturday night's CL Final.

Van Der Sar

Fabio

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Valencia

Carrick

An unnamed premiership footballer still the subject of a super injunction

Park

Rooney

Hernandez

SEMerc
27 May 2011 18:36:16

I guess FIFA has been raining on the CL's parade, given that's the story most neutral punters seem to care about today, rather than the game itself.

27 May 2011 22:14:48

COME ON YOU MANKS!!!!!! 

Saint Snow
28 May 2011 09:15:26

PLease, please, please, please, please

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Saint Snow
28 May 2011 09:48:50

Originally Posted by: SEMerc 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9BpClxWdmA

Hopefully a repeat tonight 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
28 May 2011 13:07:30

I'm going to take great pleasure in watching Barcelona outclass Man Utd tonight.

If it were any other English team, I'd wish them well tonight. I just can't do that with Man Utd.

David M Porter
28 May 2011 16:52:51

Originally Posted by: Brummie Snowman 

I'm going to take great pleasure in watching Barcelona outclass Man Utd tonight.

Don't be presumptive; even the biggest underdogs can sometimes cause a shock. What happened in this game is a classic example of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgRpRTbk1oo

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
SEMerc
28 May 2011 17:08:45

Well, just under 90 mins to kick-off - the Man U fans should be getting on their trains for Wembley shortly.