The Beast from the East
13 July 2014 09:44:42

President Dilma Rouseff must be the most worried lady on the planet. She is almost certain to lose the upcoming election

Its been a disappointing World Cup and if Argentina win, it will be the icing on the cake.

The next one in Russia is likely to be terrible and hopefully fans would have got fed up with all the corruption and corporatism at the heart of modern football by then and refuse to buy tickets.

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
sriram
13 July 2014 09:55:05
A quick view on today

Germans deserve to win the World Cup on their play and are far more impressive than the Argies

Most people want them to win

But there has been a precursor of impressive teams being knocked out of tournaments and not winning tournaments they deserve to

Brazil in 1982 and even the Argies themselves I remember in 2006 thrashed Bosnia in a group game with some brilliant football and everyone said there are going to win the World Cup but lost to Germany in a one-sided QF

Greece in Euro 2004 were very unimpressive with their boring crap play but Portugal in the final lost

And in this tournament Holland who thrashed Spain and look like world beaters lose a crap semifinal on penalties

I am sorry but it's Sods Law - it will be a crap final - and a disputed penalty in the 85th minute will give the Argies the trophy

Hope I am wrong

Sriram
Sedgley, West Midlands ( just south of Wolverhampton )
162m ASL
David M Porter
13 July 2014 10:57:43

Originally Posted by: sriram 

A quick view on today

Germans deserve to win the World Cup on their play and are far more impressive than the Argies

Most people want them to win

But there has been a precursor of impressive teams being knocked out of tournaments and not winning tournaments they deserve to

Brazil in 1982 and even the Argies themselves I remember in 2006 thrashed Bosnia in a group game with some brilliant football and everyone said there are going to win the World Cup but lost to Germany in a one-sided QF

Greece in Euro 2004 were very unimpressive with their boring crap play but Portugal in the final lost

And in this tournament Holland who thrashed Spain and look like world beaters lose a crap semifinal on penalties

I am sorry but it's Sods Law - it will be a crap final - and a disputed penalty in the 85th minute will give the Argies the trophy

Hope I am wrong

IIRC, that was how the Germans won the World Cup in 1990, which was converted by Andy Brehme minuted before the second Argentine (Dezotti) was sent off and all hell broke loose.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
ARTzeman
13 July 2014 11:54:22

Glad Holland won and will be able to tell a tale  of Blasting to shame of the Brazil mob...

As  for the game tonight then it Will be " Deutschland Uber  Alles "   or something like that .... 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Gooner
13 July 2014 11:59:16

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze 

To avoid choking I'd suggest finishing your brekkie before reading this:

World-Cup-2014-Why-selfish-England-must-learn-from-selfless-Germany

“If an English player is booked in a World Cup semi-final, and it means he can’t play in the final, he starts crying on the pitch,” said Didi. “If it happens to a German, he puts it out of his mind and then scores the winning goal. One player is thinking about himself and the other his team.”

Excellent point

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Matty H
13 July 2014 12:17:38
Originally Posted by: Gooner 

“If an English player is booked in a World Cup semi-final, and it means he can’t play in the final, he starts crying on the pitch,” said Didi. “If it happens to a German, he puts it out of his mind and then scores the winning goal. One player is thinking about himself and the other his team.”

Excellent point

It would be if it wasn't just rhetoric bollox.

He'd have been more accurate if he just said "England are just rubbish"
sriram
13 July 2014 12:40:23
I have heard people say it's been the greatest World Cup of all time but it hasn't all been true

There have been a lot of pants and crap games

Iran v. Nigeria

Belgium v Russia

And a lot of crap knockout games

France v Germany, Argentina v Switzerland and Belgium and Holland v Argentina

Probably others as well so food for thought
Sriram
Sedgley, West Midlands ( just south of Wolverhampton )
162m ASL
Gooner
13 July 2014 14:00:32

Originally Posted by: Matty H 

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

Excellent point

It would be if it wasn't just rhetoric bollox.

He'd have been more accurate if he just said "England are just rubbish"

There is that as well , but he does have a point. The looney Geordie was thinking about the Final

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

David M Porter
13 July 2014 14:38:31

Originally Posted by: sriram 

I have heard people say it's been the greatest World Cup of all time but it hasn't all been true

There have been a lot of pants and crap games

Iran v. Nigeria

Belgium v Russia

And a lot of crap knockout games

France v Germany, Argentina v Switzerland and Belgium and Holland v Argentina

Probably others as well so food for thought

This World Cup is the 8th one I have watched with the first being Mexico '86, and I would rate that one as being my favourite mostly due to the exploits of a certain Argentine No.10. 1990 and 1994 weren't bad, although I think the latter was probably the better of those two as there were more by way of high-scoring games in 1994 than in Italy four years earlier. IMO, the World Cups going back to France '98 have been generally dull and while each has had its moments, none of them have come near the likes of 1970, 1982 et al for sheer entertainment.

I have a cousin who celebrated his 44th birthday a couple of months ago and can remember seeing every World Cup going back to Argentina '78 and in his view, Spain 1982 was the best World Cup of the last 36 years. If I had been old enough at the time to have remembered that one myself, I would probably have been in agreement with him on that one.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
SEMerc
13 July 2014 19:49:40

Germany just about edging the game with Pig climber pulling the strings in midfield.

SydneyonTees
13 July 2014 20:03:53
Originally Posted by: SEMerc 

Germany just about edging the game with Pig climber pulling the strings in midfield.

Not much in it, story of missed chances.

First team scores wins the cup in my opinion.

Matty H
13 July 2014 20:08:44
Not watching it. Listened to most of first half commentary on 5 Live. They reckon Argentina shaded the first half.
westv
13 July 2014 20:12:40

Not watching it. Listened to most of first half commentary on 5 Live. They reckon Argentina shaded the first half.

No TV for you West Country yokels?

At least it will be mild!
Matty H
13 July 2014 20:46:36
Originally Posted by: westv 

No TV for you West Country yokels?

Good one.
13 July 2014 21:02:21
It's been an intriguing final. I thought the match had penalties written all over it, but extra time has been breathless so far.
Malcolm UserPostedImage
Wakefield & Gothenburg, SWE
SEMerc
13 July 2014 21:14:06

Not putting a hex on it but Hummels has had an immense game. And Garay at the other end has played very well too.

Matty H
13 July 2014 21:18:41
Finally got in front of the TV. If it goes to pens Argentina will win it. Their keeper is a brute, and I think it'll give them the psychological edge despite the German keeper being able to play a bit....
westv
13 July 2014 21:23:19

Germany losing on penalties? Oh the justice!

Doubt that'd happen though.

At least it will be mild!
SEMerc
13 July 2014 21:26:05

Excellent finish from Goetze.

13 July 2014 21:26:59
Thank heavens for that. Referee was looking to fix it for the Argies by turning a blind eye to an Aguero assault.
Malcolm UserPostedImage
Wakefield & Gothenburg, SWE